3rd time's a charm...VP 320GXi No Start Condition

ab1752

Crew Member
Hi all,

Not sure what happened with my other 2 threads but anyway, I've recently had a hard / no start condition with my throttle body injected VP. In the past year I replaced the fuel cell with both pumps, the alternator and the coil. New plugs and manifolds too and the boat was running well.

Then on occasion I didn't hear the 2 beeps and on Monday morning after running well all weekend it wouldn't stat at all. I went over all connections in the wiring harness and all seemed clean. After a while it sputtered to life and ran perfectly for 1.5 hours home.

I went down today and fired it up after poking around and then shut it off. Fired it up and no start. It would take 7 to 10 cranks then catch and run perfectly. If I shut it off then immediately it wouldn't start again. I replaced the fuel separator and it only had 20 hours and was free from water and contaminants.

I'm going to pull fuel pressure tomorrow morning and that's easy enough off the shrader valve. I'm assuming I can use my T in the line from the high pressure pump to the throttle body to pull that pressure. Any other suggestions let me know. I'm leaning towards the fuel cell, it doesn't seem to be priming as with before but I cant confirm. I do have my old fuel cell to try too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, I had a hard start condition ended up being a tulipped valve, I’d do a compression test to eliminate a mechanical failure

Hey, I had a hard start condition ended up being a tulipped valve, I’d do a compression test to eliminate a mechanical failure
Also I would check your temp sensor for your FI, if this goes bad it throws the computer into a cold running mode, not dash temp but the temp for your electronic fuel injection computer.
I got mine from GM.

Cool thanks, I think there could be a sensor issue as well, once it's running it has all normal power and it doesn't seem like it's a compression issue. I will bring my tester with me tomorrow as well. It simply seems like its starving for fuel and once it starts all is well. Super weird.

Cool thanks, I think there could be a sensor issue as well, once it's running it has all normal power and it doesn't seem like it's a compression issue. I will bring my tester with me tomorrow as well. It simply seems like its starving for fuel and once it starts all is well. Super weird.
Man I had a sensor issue on the bayliner. Took forever to figure out. Exhaust sensor. Started up and ran for a few minutes and then puff. Would keep doing that for about a half hour and then fine for a week. And again. And again. And again.

If you tulipped a valve it would only run on 7 cyl and would be rough.....if its running great can't see that it would be a valve.

If you have a electronic advance distributor, I would check the wire running to the starter for cracks. The computer brain that runs the firing system requires a certain amount of power (?) from the battery or it will not let the computer spark the plugs. I gave my manuals away so I cannot quote the voltage require
I had a VP and every once in a while it will shut down and not start for a while. I changed everything from fuel system, plug, wires distributor module ….. it would run then the problem would be back. Then I read that the computer requires a certain amount of power flow or the system will shut down. I checked the starter wire and sure enough it had a 2 inch crack in the shielding. Changed out the wire and never had the problem again. I spent hundreds of $$ to find out it was a $40 wire.

Good luck.

Back