3 southern resident killer whales declared dead by the Center for Whale Research

Sure is tiring - having the media assume any marine mammal expert that claims to be so - taken at face value and their opinions become fact thereafter.

Where did Ken Balcomb, head of the Center for Whale Research get his authority to declare dead 3 orcas on behalf of the public? I never voted for this guy to speak on my behalf - not sure if anyone on this forum did neither. I also note that the reason for any assumed deaths were buried down deep in the article and not given headline status, neither: "Hall said the two male orcas were getting close to the average lifespan for a male killer whale."

So they could have died of natural causes but that idea wasn't promoted by the media - instead they stir up emotions by quoting the worst-case scenario of starvation (which is as plausible as is they died of old age) - but w/o even checking to see what the Chinook numbers actually are. Where are the quotes from the Chinook experts in all of this?

Amazing amount of feed for them around the south coast right now and where are they???

Yep watch out the special media engines will roar on Friday. Perfect story to dish out for weekend, and it will be coordinated as always from the mother ship.
Will the ENGO's have to hire more accountants to keep up with the fundraising they'll get out of this spin?

Sure is tiring - having the media assume any marine mammal expert that claims to be so - taken at face value and their opinions become fact thereafter.

Where did Ken Balcomb, head of the Center for Whale Research get his authority to declare dead 3 orcas on behalf of the public? I never voted for this guy to speak on my behalf - not sure if anyone on this forum did neither. I also note that the reason for any assumed deaths were buried down deep in the article and not given headline status, neither: "Hall said the two male orcas were getting close to the average lifespan for a male killer whale."

So they could have died of natural causes but that idea wasn't promoted by the media - instead they stir up emotions by quoting the worst-case scenario of starvation (which is as plausible as is they died of old age) - but w/o even checking to see what the Chinook numbers actually are. Where are the quotes from the Chinook experts in all of this?

It is the gift that keeps on giving https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...th-of-chinook-salmon-southern-resident-orcas/

DFO even adding fuel to the fire

“We have seen chinook populations decline for the past number of years, but this year is the worst. It is a real challenge and a great concern,” said Jocelyn Lubczuk, spokeswoman for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. “This is part of the biodiversity loss that is part of climate change, the warming water is posing a huge risk to chinook salmon.”

It is the gift that keeps on giving https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...th-of-chinook-salmon-southern-resident-orcas/

DFO even adding fuel to the fire

“We have seen chinook populations decline for the past number of years, but this year is the worst. It is a real challenge and a great concern,” said Jocelyn Lubczuk, spokeswoman for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada. “This is part of the biodiversity loss that is part of climate change, the warming water is posing a huge risk to chinook salmon.”

What a load of crap.

'Presumed living in California' does nothing for fundraising. :rolleyes:

I already know what the consequences of going against the forum mind police are, but REALLY don't care............

Looks to me like the whales were starving, and probably not old enough to die from old age. The starvation seems to be a long-term issue, so no matter how many Chinook are off wherever right now doesn't mean jack.

It's news worthy because as you all seem incapable of accepting, 99.999% of the general population see this as an issue versus those that appear to only care about how many Chinook they aren't bonking for faults of everybody but themselves.

Go ahead, make my day, give me your best shot. Seems like you all are "teachers pet's" so no worries about repercussions.

I already know what the consequences of going against the forum mind police are, but REALLY don't care............

Looks to me like the whales were starving, and probably not old enough to die from old age. The starvation seems to be a long-term issue, so no matter how many Chinook are off wherever right now doesn't mean jack.

It's news worthy because as you all seem incapable of accepting, 99.999% of the general population see this as an issue versus those that appear to only care about how many Chinook they aren't bonking for faults of everybody but themselves.

Go ahead, make my day, give me your best shot. Seems like you all are "teachers pet's" so no worries about repercussions.

I'm no teachers pet..and you/we are all entitled to our opinions.
99.99% of people at 1 point in time believed the earth was flat, some out there still do.:cool:

I do have but 1 question for you?

Not sure what your diet is, mine is more a meat and potato kinda diet, not vegan/vegetarian.(maybe I haven't evolved to that level yet? Although my knuckles dont drag on the ground anymore)

My question to you.
"If" you were starving AND there was other food around that you would not normally eat, would you let yourself starve or would you eat anything you could hunt down or get your hands(mouth)on?

Orcas we are told are extremely intelligent and top of the food chain in the ocean,(which is full of all kinds of life/food) but these pods are unwilling to hunt/eat anything that will save their own lives...nature works in mysterious ways..very hard to believe.

Maybe its to much excersize from the Whale Harrasment Chase Club. Maybe its to.much Accoustic Traffic from ferries frieghters recreational boats submarines coastgard military kyaks canoes jet skis diving ducks other whales etc etc. Maybe its BC **** flowing straight into the drink off the Green Victoria. Maybe its oil and pollution from millions of cars and industry. Maybe its climate change. Maybe its the one poison pink salmon they ate cause they like chinook. Maybe just Maybe its Erics shat. Thats what i think has caused it. Nope its lack of Chinook.
Fricken laughable. Government and dfo picking and choosing what science they want. Catering to those Green Victoria and surtounding area Votes. Yup their part of the cause too. Even Erica. Not using all pieces of the puzzle though. Its lack of Chinook....... Meanwhile the last 4 years plus have been the best in 30 years.

I do have but 1 question for you?

Easy question - I'd eat anything I could; which is usually meat & lot's of it.

FYI we first started eating starch & dairy about 10K years ago; our stomach's have not yet evolved to eat these yet as SOME people have digestive issues with these items; when they eat them they get diarrhea, end result they would slowly starve if that's all they had to eat.

Why do you expect Orca's to evolve eating differently in a couple of decades when we can't do it in 10K years?

Question for you:

Do you think Orca's are just like **** Sapiens?

Have to ask cuz it appears you don't see the differences

Lol your just another old man who is feeling guilty about all the chinook you have killed through out your life.

That is true; I am going on 69 & have killed a lot of Chinook. I don't feel guilty except for the one's I let stay in the freezer too long.

high tide; maybe it's most of the above; I live in WA & our sewage usually get's treated unless the plant's SNAFU & spill raw sewage.

You think the last 4 are the best in the last 30 years? For what size Chinook & where?

FYI 2/3 of the 3 pods spend 9 nine months of the year away from BC waters. Last time I check .66 times .25 = .165, which to ME means that what goes on with these whales in BC amounts to 16.5% of the BIG PICTURE.

Being on the side of the Orca's instead of versus the sides expressed in the media or what we see on these threads allows me to see this BIG PICTURE & share my view on the forum.

I am on my own side - get it?

Opinions are free and worth the cost.
To get a doctorate and tenure takes a great deal of study and determination. I'll go with the science over opinion every day.
At 8:10 Dr. Andrew Trites discusses starvation:

I remind all that the SCIENTIST who gave the Vic SRKW brief DID state that they will swim past and thru other salmon species while starving to death. And ultimately die before changing diet. That's when I said WTF. Its the same people who compared a pregnant whale (normal girth) to a starving whale. I say no more to this political BS.

HM

SCIENTIST
HM
Follow the money.
Tenure = not concerned about getting fired = closer to the truth.
Corporate or ENGO = possibly concerned about paycheck????

I think Eric's brain has been poisoned by eating all the salmon he bonked for years, kinda like maybe the killers whales brains. **** there ya go Eric i guess we are a lot alike.........

Actually I had a MAJOR brain malfunction in my last post; thought maybe one or more of you smart butt "scientists" would have caught it:

J pod appears to spend about 100% of their time in BC = 33%
K & L pods each spend about 25% of their time in BC = 16.5%

BC's impact of their collective diets would be 33+ 16.5 + 49.5%

At 8:10 Dr. Andrew Trites discusses starvation:

What's your point? One scientist out of 100's spends 15 seconds talking about the THEORY you like & that's good enough for you? You are in an EXTREME minority if that's your point.

Tenure = not concerned about getting fired = closer to the truth.
Corporate or ENGO = possibly concerned about paycheck????

That's true but does not mean that are wrong.

What's your point?
My point? Some scientists may have a vested interest in drama/emergencies. :eek::rolleyes:o_O
Never let the facts get in the way of fundraising. :D;)

Back