26 Hourston Sedan Repower

You really dont need to go big block unless you want to carry a fuel station behind you LOL
my boat which is the sportfisher weighs in at 7100 lb dry with the 383 and 425 hp with the volvo duo prop it has more than enough snot to pull it out. I get on plane on about 30 ft run at 3200 rpm at 25 kts no problem WOT is about 4400 rpm at 45 mph WAY faster then i ever want to go. best part about the 383 is its basically a 350 chev and parts are VERY easy to get etc.....
Whatever you decide you will be more than happy with those hourstons they are an awesome boat.....

[QUOTEThat doghouse is intrusive, what about twin outboards so you can go for tuna?][/QUOTE]

it really isnt its a built in workstation, (when I see podded out boats which I do like BTW) most people throw in two big butt coolers which are always in the way so its kinda a trade off isnt it. I Like the doghouse I have it set up to hold all my stuff up out of the way for my "tools" and bait etc to be all handy, dont mind it one bit ....

Good luck wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolf,

That's like 75hp more than advertised on this remanned merc plus series engine I'm looking at! This thing has vortec heads as well, but unless I can get an exhaust diverter that I can choose to go thru hull or out the leg, I think I'll pass on the thru hull exhaust. Although it really would sound badass!! My mechanic and I are liking your 383 idea the best, and will couple it up to a B3X drive if so.
Maybe I can play around with some performance mods down the road to pick up a few more ft/lbs of torque after I run it for a bit....if needed.
I plan to have this boat for a while, but need to consider resale aswell just in case, and I wanted to have a package that's marketable that will appeal to the most amount of buyers possible.
Thanks again for your input, very helpful. Paul

Coming from experience , 425 horsepower from a 383 with probably a 9:1 compression ratio is a stretch. What kind of parts are in that 383 Wolf? Even with thru hull exhaust getting 1 hp per cubic inch is very hard come by without heads and valve train way more substantial than stock.

F&R,
these 383 stroker motors will make 400 hp even on a basic budget build,
I have 1 in my 70 monte that dyno'd at 450 and 475+ ftlbs, I also have 1 in my 55cameo that was never dyno'd but pulls every bit as hard if not harder then the monte
both motors are running 64cc .194 heads and crane rollers, I cannot remember what we went with for cams but in saying 425hp is a stretch out of a stroker I don't think that's a correct statement,
even my 2013 6.2 L9H in my GMC p/u is 403 hp which is basically a factory stroker

F&R,
these 383 stroker motors will make 400 hp even on a basic budget build,
I have 1 in my 70 monte that dyno'd at 450 and 475+ ftlbs, I also have 1 in my 55cameo that was never dyno'd but pulls every bit as hard if not harder then the monte
both motors are running 64cc .194 heads and crane rollers, I cannot remember what we went with for cams but in saying 425hp is a stretch out of a stroker I don't think that's a correct statement,
even my 2013 6.2 L9H in my GMC p/u is 403 hp which is basically a factory stroker

Sorry. Maybe I should have been a little clearer. I was referring to a marine application with compression suited for reg gas, a camshaft with moderate enough specs to work with water cooled manifolds and risers and good low end torque. You will never see that kind of power in that application. A 350 Mag is a perfect example of what kind of hp you can achieve(300) and that with a pretty good fuel injection system. Your truck is an entirely different animal. Very good hi swirl cyl heads,far superior to vortex heads, higher effective compression, roller valve train and a very good fuel management system. Apples and oranges.

Sorry. Maybe I should have been a little clearer. I was referring to a marine application with compression suited for reg gas, a camshaft with moderate enough specs to work with water cooled manifolds and risers and good low end torque. You will never see that kind of power in that application. A 350 Mag is a perfect example of what kind of hp you can achieve(300) and that with a pretty good fuel injection system. Your truck is an entirely different animal. Very good hi swirl cyl heads,far superior to vortex heads, higher effective compression, roller valve train and a very good fuel management system. Apples and oranges.
Good Points, I was not thinking of the marine/auto applications only the stroker specs themselves, but like you say and I agree once all the marine goodies are on it makes a big difference
and proper caming is essential
but nonetheless it is a great reliable performance motor in either application

Quotes come in tomorrow:

Mercruiser plus series 383 MPI 350hp with a B3X drive
Mercruiser 6.2L 377 mag DTS 320hp, B3X drive
Mercruiser 8.2L 502 mag DTS 380hp, B3X drive
Swedish Chicken 6.0L V8 380hp, duo prop

Then it's kicker time...

the numbers on that VP look nice

I wonder if the numbers on the VP 380 looks good on paper for horsepower, but in actual fact it's because they spin that engine almost 1000rpm faster than comparable engines. Where are the torque numbers? This drives me nuts about these manufacturers not publishing torque specs.

You need top torque numbers in the 3-4000 rpm range. Don't get caught up in hp numbers too much. Torque and hp are relative. Rule of thumb. Longer stroke, more torque at lower rpm range. That's what you get with a big block pretty easily. 383 is a great motor for what it is. 396 or 408 small block even better if you want torque. Newer engines make better overall power and performance because of the fuel injection systems they have. We pay dearly for them but they are far superior to some sort of homegrown hot rod engine with a carb.

Well im going by what the guy who builds them and DYNO marine with roller cams and roller bearing if you want to dispute it call me ill give him your number and you can call him...hes built probably more engines in his life then I want to even guess.....hes been doing it for about 40 years .....
I can tell you with MY boat I get up on plane in about 30 ft at about 9000 lbs cruise at 3200 to 3400 with a 2 or 3 ft seas i dont adjust the throttle as it smashes and destroys the waves and doesnt slow down much .....this is the facts of how it performs if you want come over and ill take you for a spin so you can see for yourself... and yes it has a 4 BBL carb.

This is why I really am beginning to hate this forum and why Im not posting as much too many pro armchair fishermen now.....

Good luck Wolf

I hear you Wolf, sure is a lot of negativity and strong opinions on this forum.

Different strokes for different folks, no need to be condescending or hack down others ideas and opinions.

Looking forward to riding in your boat in a couple weeks.

Stay classy, San Diego.

I was going to step away from this one, mainly because I quit listening to armchair engine experts. Funny how a poster can have no idea who I am, what I do and what experiences I've had. Yet because some guy says something, I am automatically wrong. I too have over 40 years in the Motorsport industry, have worked with countless engines and spent many a day on a dyno. Of course a guy can build big power numbers with the right parts. Bottom line is that quality of fuel and exhaust restriction thru cast manifolds and out the centre of a prop, and into a wall of water are far from ideal scenarios. Thru hull exhaust, tuned header whole new ball game. The average guy has no idea what it takes to make even 1 hp per cubic inch with the old style small block chev. Look at the performance numbers of any inboard/ outboard package and it pretty obvious what numbers are realistic.

Wolf,

Don't leave! You are a super handy guy to bounce things off of...
But if you do have to prove yourself and your boat, make sure you're charging for it! LOL
Likely gonna go for the 383 myself. Who is your engine man? Perhaps he would be interested in quoting?
Anyway, beer time.

PT

Wolf,

Don't leave! You are a super handy guy to bounce things off of...
But if you do have to prove yourself and your boat, make sure you're charging for it! LOL
Likely gonna go for the 383 myself. Who is your engine man? Perhaps he would be interested in quoting?
Anyway, beer time.

PT
Whatever way you go, hope you drop into Pender Harbour one weekend. I would love to see that boat. Cheers

I'm running a SBC with over 400hp, big pistons, huge roller, flowed 202 camels 750dbl pump and make power well after 6500rpm in a boat built for fun.

But for a fishing boat I would like a new factory fuel injected Crete engine. BBC would be nice if the price is right, but SBC would work and get better milage in most cases. Get fuel injection

Back