23 hourston project.

Woody83

Finally got my dream boat. Figured I'd throw it on here for some ideas and pointers.
Getting new stringers, floors, possibly transom and pod. Not sure if I'm going to keep the flybridge or not, leaning towards not.
Need a trailer quick so if anyone knows of one for cheap it would be greatly appreciated. (Need to get it from my buddy's to my place before I start doing any glasswork)20190805_180439.jpg 20190805_180637.jpg

Finally got my dream boat. Figured I'd throw it on here for some ideas and pointers.
Getting new stringers, floors, possibly transom and pod. Not sure if I'm going to keep the flybridge or not, leaning towards not.
Need a trailer quick so if anyone knows of one for cheap it would be greatly appreciated. (Need to get it from my buddy's to my place before I start doing any glasswork)View attachment 46823 View attachment 46824

Remove the bridge

Awesome, this is what I am looking for as well :) My wife just approved a 23'er... Wahoo!

Awesome, this is what I am looking for as well :) My wife just approved a 23'er... Wahoo!
Seen one on craigslist in Powell River last weekend. Better shape than mine, same no trailer but still a project. I'll try to find the listing and post it for you.

Hey Woody83, yes i have seen this one, I made contact with him last week, he is a former fibreglass'er and he is just testing the waters for a sale once this boat is finished... Thank you sir for your help :D

Mine is a 22.5' Fiberform and took the bridge off and 351 out. I did a fiberglass pod, I think aluminum from a fabricator easiest. I will put some pic's up when I have free data.. running low.
So took bridge off. Took out kitchen and dinette and storage box seats and basic using original seats and cushions. Toilet out, will do a Porta potty I can hook a maceration pump up to. 225 Optimax for power.

Mine is a 22.5' Fiberform and took the bridge off and 351 out. I did a fiberglass pod, I think aluminum from a fabricator easiest. I will put some pic's up when I have free data.. running low.
So took bridge off. Took out kitchen and dinette and storage box seats and basic using original seats and cushions. Toilet out, will do a Porta potty I can hook a maceration pump up to. 225 Optimax for power.

Thank you so much for your information and efforts but honestly looking for a “ Hourston” specifically. Thank you sir

Last edited:
Have you thought of making stringers from formed aluminum? Never heard of anyone using it before but I thought about it today, maybe a metal fan shop can use a metal brake on 3/16” thick material and fold it over to create a alum stringer, then screw into the glass to hold it then glass it to the hull? And maybe even make a plasma tabled alum sheet to fix the transom on the inside?

All I am is saying other than different manufacturers the process is the same, the floor space is the same.

Hey woody 83. here are some before and after pics of my 1972 Hourston. rebuilt from the stringers up. If you have any questions let me know. Im in Alberni if you want to have a look.

Attachments

• old boat1.jpg
    old boat1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 386
  • old boat.jpg
    old boat.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 371
  • boat.jpeg
    boat.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 371
  • interior.jpeg
    interior.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 392
Hey has anyone ever seen an orange 23' Hourston?
Hey woody 83. here are some before and after pics of my 1972 Hourston. rebuilt from the stringers up. If you have any questions let me know. Im in Alberni if you want to have a look.

Nice work, awesome looking boat...:D

Will definitely be asking for some help/knowhow. Wouldn't mind having a look either one of these days. Thank you.

Looks awesome. I like how clean and fresh the interior looks.

Will definitely be asking for some help/knowhow. Wouldn't mind having a look either one of these days. Thank you.

Hey Woody83, when I start my restore I will he creating a YouTube channel and documenting as I go with my build so others have some reference on materials, time and DIY. I’m hoping to get going sometime in September...

Hi Woody83 love the rebuild! I thought about pedestals and love the look however being low budget I think pedestals require nicer looking storage solutions and maby less secure than lock boxes and I had the intent to Moore in fish boat Bay so this is what I did.
Only really nice way to remove the flybridge is to remove the cabin headliner, lots of silicone and remove or cut the bolts off from the underside. I cut mine off from the top and bolt shafts are held in by silicon, I just fiberglass over mine. The work I see some of you guys doing is amazing! Just remember you dream of the finished product is probably better than how it will end up. The condition of your dream boat is pretty rough, most things that started as metal is pretty much done. Quite often if you want to end up with something nice or pretty it's easier when you start with something a little nicer. But I'm doing it so all the best!

Back