23 Hourston pds bearing questions

23Hourston

Well guys here’s the run down on what I think is the pds bearings making noise. Some info first.
Volvo 270 leg rebuilt with 400 ish hours but been 10 years ish /pre vortex Chevy 350
Same hours and Pds bearings done at same time(it is the red fly wheel cover with Center grease hole)
According to my research that means it has the double Bearings which also means the engine needs to be pulled. Apparently there’s no way to diagnose between U joints and the PDS bearings making noise And the procedure is to replace U joints and pds bearings. I am wondering if there’s any tips or tricks or while your in there you might as well do this type of thing. And yes I thought about podding it with a 300 Suzuki but with quotes over 30 grand I just can’t justify it for a month worth of fishing
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Pull the leg and you can get a hands on feel of the u joints.
My experience with the primary drive shaft bearings going bad on my 270 was caused by a pinhole leak in the u joint bellows which allowed water to get to the pds bearings.
With the leg off you will have access to the primary drive shaft to see if there is anything obvious going on there.

Back