23 glasply

noluck

well winter is coming upon us and i needed a project, so i am buying a 23' glasply hardtop, and building a new 4bt cummins to power her. i have 90% of the parts to couple a cummins to the mercruiser, pics to come as things progress, it is nice as this is a fiberglass stringer boat and a solid transum

Attachments

• IMG_4311.JPG
    IMG_4311.JPG
    459.2 KB · Views: 540
Nice project! Was toying with the idea of a winter project myself, but all the signs point to an epic ski season so there'll be no time.

thought it was the same person posting for a moment... avatars are very similar.
looking forward to seeing how you couple the cummins to a mercruiser outdrive. I was toying with the idea of changing out my diesels to cummins 6bta's if there is enough room....

well winter is coming upon us and i needed a project, so i am buying a 23' glasply hardtop, and building a new 4bt cummins to power her. i have 90% of the parts to couple a cummins to the mercruiser, pics to come as things progress, it is nice as this is a fiberglass stringer boat and a solid transum
cant wait to see the progrees pics good luck

well here are some engine pics, even a Canadian block

Attachments

• block 001.jpg
    block 001.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 382
  • block 008.jpg
    block 008.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 361
  • block 006.jpg
    block 006.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 357
Great boat! One of our Alder Bay regulars has the same boat. John redid everything "under deck" a couple of years ago and had to replace the leg this past summer, but is still running the original 6. The boat is pretty much bullet proof and spends a good 8 - 10 hours on the water for the six weeks John and his family are at Alder Bay.

awesome 4bt cummins! I'm building a 6bt atm. What are you using for an outdrive? haven't seen a rear engine mount like the one you have. does it bolt up to a sae housing? sae3?

went back to your first post and noticed your coupling to a mercruiser leg. I'd be interested in knowing where (or part numbers) you found the parts to couple... (bellhousing, rear engine mount adapter housing, engine coupling)
Did you have to machine the flywheel to accept the engine coupler?
Did you fab the mounts for the heat exchanger? Looks good.
Nice touch using the fluidamper. Just ordered one for mine earlier this morning.
Is that an enviro-vent system it's using?
That glasply's going to fly.

Last edited:
actually this is going to a volvo penta sx-dm, 2000 year. it is real easy to mate to any drive you want, ford or chev adaptor to the 4bt, redrill the cummins flywheel for the drive coupler. then bolt on a chev or ford bell housing the goes with your drive. i am using a ford adaptor and a alpha drive hub, and a sx ford 5.8 bellhousing

I'm up in Kamloops, But if I was down that way I'd love to check it out. been slowly working on mine but it's coming along. Kinda at the heat exchanger and aftercooler stage and trying to figure out which way I want to go. Have been thinking of mounting heat exchanger and aftercooler off the engine and in the area under the deck between and the sponsons (on a cat) just to free up some room in the engine compartment. looking at a bit different heat exchanger and aftercooler (looking at bowman and LEC coolers) that most 6bta's use also if mounting in the different location.
Really like how yours is looking. Your going to love it when it's finished and you get to enjoy it...

Back