23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters

EZZ70

Before I start this thread I would like to add a list of common acronyms and terminology for doing boat fibreglass work and repairs, you will see them used ocassionly throughout this build... Thank you

Fibreglass Defined

CSM =(also known as chopped strand mat and fiberglass mat) has short strands of fibers held together with a resin binder. The fibers are randomly oriented. Mat is only compatible with polyester and vinyl ester resin. When resin is added to the mat, the binder dissolves and the fibers can be moved around. It is easier to conform mat to tight curves and corners than it is with weaved fabric and is made up of 25-50MM long fiberglass strands.

Binder = typically styrene-soluble that acts like glue connecting the fibers. The binder is designed to dissolve upon contact with styrene in polyester resin or vinylester resin.

Fibreglass = Chopped strand mat or CSM is a form of reinforcement used in fiberglass. It consists of glass fibers laid randomly across each other and held together by a binder. ... Because the binder dissolves in resin, the material easily conforms to different shapes when wetted out.

Fillet = A fillet is a continuous bead of thickened epoxy or polyester mixture applied to the angle created between two parts. It increases the surface area of the bond and serves as a structural adhesive and brace.

Tabbing = Typical construction (called "tabbing") involves bonding stringers and bulkheads to the hull with strips of fiberglass cloth wetted with polyester resin. Done correctly, these tabs give an initially strong connection that seems permanent

OZ = For example, if an application requires 3 square yards of a 4 ounce-per-square-yard fabric (total fabric weight is 12 ounces), 12 ounces of resin will be needed. However, if 3 yards of 10 ounce-per-square-yard fabric is chosen (total fabric weight is 30 ounces), 30 ounces of resin will be needed.

1708 = 1708 indicates the weight of each layer. The biaxial weave cloth is 17 oz. per square yard, and the chop strand mat backing is 8 oz per square yard. Total of 25 oz is required per yard of 1708, 17 for the biaxial weave cloth + 8 for the chop strand mat.

Schedule = This is a list of the individual layers and orientation of the plies

Boat Structure Terms

Stringers = Stringers are support members bonded into boat hulls, usually oriented parallel to the long axis of a boat hull.

Keelson = a longitudinal structure running above and fastened to the keel of a ship in order to stiffen and strengthen its framework.

Bulkhead = A bulkhead is an upright wall within the hull of a ship, other kinds of partition elements within a ship are decks and deckheads.

Transom = A transom is the flat part which forms the stern of a square ended boat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey to all, I just wanted to post an update to the 1977 23' Hourston that I started this week, I know its just another build thread but thought a few may be interested...

I had 3 layers of 3/4" plywood to demo from transom and yes it was quite rotten :eek:

IMG_6895.jpeg IMG_6911.jpeg IMG_6913.jpeg

Last edited:
the fun has just begun! cant wait for more updates itll be a much better boat podded :p

Hey kingblazer84, ill keep updating as I progress, i will try and get into the "how to's" as i do the rebuild...

Update: spent the day continuing to remove the rotten ply @ transom, and got'er done!

IMG_6930.jpeg

So i'm told this boat was redone a number of years ago, if in fact this was done correctly it should have lasted another 30-40 years before any repairs would be needed. Buyers beware, just because someone tells you the the stringers, transom and deck had been redone, don't be so fast to consider it bonus. This boat was a mess, it literally had ants crawling out of the rotten wood, LOL

Below is a before and after I sanded and cleaned up the starboard corner...

IMG_6918.jpeg IMG_6928.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work. Your moving along on cleaning the transom area quickly!

Have you done this before?

I found the grinding of the fibreglass to be the worst part of the project.

Nice work. Your moving along on cleaning the transom area quickly!

Have you done this before?

I found the grinding of the fibreglass to be the worst part of the project.

Thank you - I haven't really done much fibreglassing, I am grinding double the material as the person who, so called "redone" this boat looks like he literally poured resin in the bottom, bilge area. It is definitely resin rich! Haha :)

Last edited:
... and this is what I'm talking about! layer after layer, see how flakey the edges of the cloth/resin is? If I were to not do any prep and just layer over what was there it could potentially be catastrophic and cause failure, also see how thick the resin layers are without any cloth... UNBELIEVABLE! :eek::mad:

IMG_6934.jpeg

I am about a month behind you on a 23 hourston pod and 250 or 300 suzuki. Same thing boat fully done 15 years ago transom/stringers. I will be happy if keelson is solid. Keep the posts coming. I pmed ya to pick your brain a bit

Last edited:
I am about a month behind you on a 23 hourston pod and 250 or 300 suzuki. Same thing boat fully done 15 years ago transom/stringers. I will be happy if keelson is solid. Keep the posts coming. I pmed ya to pick your brain a bit

Hey 23Hourston, the keel on this boat seems to be perfect, i need to expose a bit more but so far, all good! I'll post a pic in the next few days...

O and yes on the orange, I love it but my better half would like to change, not sure how it will play out, LOL, this is the only 23 orange I have seen to date...

Hey all, here is a YouTube link to the work I have done so far... please subscribe and like :) to receive more vids, Thank you

Hey 23Hourston, the keel on this boat seems to be perfect, i need to expose a bit more but so far, all good! I'll post a pic in the next few days...

O and yes on the orange, I love it but my better half would like to change, not sure how it will play out, LOL, this is the only 23 orange I have seen to date...

So what your saying is “bye bye orange”, lol

Looking good. Tuff work. Especially with all that extra from the last person... I'm curious as to whether you'll be using epoxy resin or polyresin

Looking good. Tuff work. Especially with all that extra from the last person... I'm curious as to whether you'll be using epoxy resin or polyresin

Hey 23Hourston, I will be using a combination of both, I will either document and/or video the process...

Back