23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I think with what you have the only thing missing is the walk through transom..
Looks amazing! Pod, big swim platform with a nice ladder, nice big engine.
I think you will just start over again if you buy somthing else. Push on!

Let's explore the transom door idea, has anyone ever done one? Would it be a selling feature or indifferent?

Let's explore the transom door idea, has anyone ever done one? Would it be a selling feature or indifferent?

i think they are awesome; neighbor has one on his 2725 Kingfisher. it’s nice to step out onto the swim grid. / pod. or surf tuna into the boat but i think it would be a shame to cut into that beefy transom after all that hard work glassing the crap out of it

I think it could be a selling feature for sure but seems unnecessary. I’m also unsure of cutting into the transom, mostly from a structural standpoint. I think it would have needed to be planned from the get go. I like the idea of having a removable step either side of the transom the the folds can get up and over easily maybe with a stainless grab rail at that location.

I think it could be a selling feature for sure but seems unnecessary. I’m also unsure of cutting into the transom, mostly from a structural standpoint. I think it would have needed to be planned from the get go. I like the idea of having a removable step either side of the transom the the folds can get up and over easily maybe with a stainless grab rail at that location.

I will be exploring and thinking about both options. @Rayvon Any ideas on what would have to be done for structural integrity?

No do not cut transom I have a set of steps inside that people can walk right into boat it double serves as a seat when under way as well.I have 90 year old clients get in my boat with no problem ..

And your boat loaded will be not what you think by the time you start adding miles of wire and stuff inside steering helms, gauges,seats, heater ,water tanks, sink, toilet the list is endless bud trust me you will have 5 boxes of "stuff" to install and thats gonna take 2 weeks if not more of wiring . and you still havent put your normal stuff of personal ... you will be surprised i bet loaded your looking at 8000 to 9000 lbs especially with that fly bridge

No do not cut transom I have a set of steps inside that people can walk right into boat it double serves as a seat when under way as well.I have 90 year old clients get in my boat with no problem ..

And your boat loaded will be not what you think by the time you start adding miles of wire and stuff inside steering helms, gauges,seats, heater ,water tanks, sink, toilet the list is endless bud trust me you will have 5 boxes of "stuff" to install and thats gonna take 2 weeks if not more of wiring . and you still havent put your normal stuff of personal ... you will be surprised i bet loaded your looking at 8000 to 9000 lbs especially with that fly bridge

LoL fly bridge weight is 87 lbs

The transom door could for sure be built with a lot of strengthening to the transom and you up to your armpits in fiberglass.Should it be done?Probably not.IMO.I don't think it will add much value to the boat.

I don't think a whole lot would need to be done structural wise (a lot can be covered with the pod/swim platform) however it would take a lot of work on seal flanges, making it function properly and looking like a 2020 factory step through model with beautiful radiuses and fit and finish.
I think you would get discouraged a month or so in and threaten to sell your boat that has a gap cut through the transom.

You have done such a great job be a shame to see ya cut into all that good work , Also have to consider one thing Cost has to warrant the use... spending that amount of time and effort IMO is kinda a waste the 26 isnt really designed that way as they sit low into water, that why there isnt any scupper on the 26 or 23 sedans , Yes in your picture its sitting high but once you put fuel and engines and batteries all very very heavy she is gonna drop down about 8 inches into water, fly bridge may only weigh 87 but once you put helms hoses wires seats etc 25 lbs here 25 lbs there 50 there it doesnt take long,
Also add a avg person on the boat at 150 to 250 lbs sometimes bigger that can lead up to 1000 lbs of people with all there day bags , I take people out fishing for a living and when I get 4 big guys with a full cooler and there 25 lb duffle bags im up over 1200 lbs more and notice it when running fuel consumption goes up by a bit and she sits down more in water...

I think Hourston used to list the 26' at 6500 lbs wet weight, plus ~250 for the flybridge. My 23' weighs almost 6500 wet - 7700 on a trailer. I always meant to ask why they listed both 23' and 26' at the same weight. My guess is that yours will weigh at least 7000 by the time you fill a water tank.

Last edited:
Agree, it will add weight fast as I install the motors and inside finish although I think I will be going a utilitarian style decor, I think lol

My 23ft W/Flybridge on the trailer loaded with fuel, water and all the **** was #7500lbs.Fully stripped down it was 4400lbs again on the trailer. As Eden said I too never could figure out why the listed them the way they did.

My 23ft W/Flybridge on the trailer loaded with fuel, water and all the **** was #7500lbs.Fully stripped down it was 4400lbs again on the trailer. As Eden said I too never could figure out why the listed them the way they did.

Ya, realistically it will be around the 8k+ lbs loaded...

instead of cutting the transom 2 of these that are foldable or something similar and folding
FOLDING DOCK STEP

Ruggedly constructed utilizing the latest design technology and the finest materials. The folding Dock Step is the most versatile, most affordable and most sturdy portable step available anywhere !
Our extruded aluminum steps feature ribs wit non-skid coverings for sure footed access to your boat. Boat dealers love these steps for boat shows showrooms and for easy boarding of boats displayed anywhere.
3 step – $895.00 plus shipping

https://www.arrigonidesign.com/unique-accessories/

Back