23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Within the last week I had a few ppl interested in the boat, 2 are pretty serious... We just had a family meeting regarding keeping/selling the 26'er and looking for input and replacement options based on the following...

Being totally realistic about living in AB and spending time on the boat.

I would say that we will be in BC about 30 days a year at the most with the boat and allot of that time spent in interior/Vernon or Salmon Arm, the rest of the summer will be spent on Sylvan Lake and Gull Lake puddles, The Hourston would look like a yacht in AB, LOL

15 days - 3 x 5 day vacation Vernon w/family
7 days - 1 x 7 day vacation on coast w/family
14 days - 2 x 7 day vacation on coat w/buds fish trip

SO with this all being decided I need something that will...

- be comfortable for at least 4 ppl and up to 6 ppl
- something with great swim grid access w/transom rear door for seniors and kids
- have space for lounging and sun tanning for at least 3 ppl
- have cover for up to 4 ppl
- V berth big enough for 2 ppl
- high gunnels for senior security and ocean safe
- inboard or outboard w/possible future pod addition

This is serious life changing stuff so no goofyness you guys and no posting while under the influence, please post responsible Haha.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So you need to make sure the pod deck is low enough so you have room to put in a transom door. This thread and your build is right behind tales from the tyee pool for top thread of the year!!!

So you need to make sure the pod deck is low enough so you have room to put in a transom door. This thread and your build is right behind tales from the tyee pool for top thread of the year!!!

so are you suggesting to keep the girl “boat” and cut the transom to accommodate a transom door? Has anyone here done this before?

Nothing wrong with being the first Robert and we all know you could do it, the thought just didn't cross your mind did it?
And Cold lake has some pretty nice boats.. Why do they call it Cold lake anyway?

Nothing wrong with being the first Robert and we all know you could do it, the thought just didn't cross your mind did it?
And Cold lake has some pretty nice boats.. Why do they call it Cold lake anyway?

Some beauty boats in Cold Lake for sure. Couple 26 and 28 Gradies a couple 26’ Pursuit and quite a few in the 24’ cuddy class. A few Bayliners in the 26’ and 24’ class. And those are just the ones kept in the marina, lots more trailered in. Up until a couple year ago and it may still stand I’m not sure any more but we did have the largest fresh water marina west of the Great Lakes. Unfortunately there’s a 10 year waiting list to get in. There are plans to double the size and if the economy wouldn’t have crashed I’m sure it would be under construction now but it will come.
Oh and it’s called cold lake because it’s darn cold. It’s a deep lake for our area with areas in it 325’ deep I believe the mean depth is around 200’. Last one to freeze by a long shot and last to thaw. I’ve seen it 75% ice covered on May long weekend. Not a good swimming lake but a great boating and fishing lake,, it’s my home lake.

Sorry for the derail.

I must say, the work you’ve done here is most impressive. Seriously, great job! If it were me, after all this incredible effort, I think I’d keep the boat for one season at least and see how it works for your outings. I’d have a hard time parting with it after all the work.
Maybe you will really love it and adjust your time off plans to enjoy it more because it’s so spectacular.
Just my take trying to put myself in your shoes based on what you’ve typed here.

But again, the workmanship is phenomenal. Best of luck with your decision. It’s gotta be a tough one.

Some beauty boats in Cold Lake for sure. Couple 26 and 28 Gradies a couple 26’ Pursuit and quite a few in the 24’ cuddy class. A few Bayliners in the 26’ and 24’ class. And those are just the ones kept in the marina, lots more trailered in. Up until a couple year ago and it may still stand I’m not sure any more but we did have the largest fresh water marina west of the Great Lakes. Unfortunately there’s a 10 year waiting list to get in. There are plans to double the size and if the economy wouldn’t have crashed I’m sure it would be under construction now but it will come.
Oh and it’s called cold lake because it’s darn cold. It’s a deep lake for our area with areas in it 325’ deep I believe the mean depth is around 200’. Last one to freeze by a long shot and last to thaw. I’ve seen it 75% ice covered on May long weekend. Not a good swimming lake but a great boating and fishing lake,, it’s my home lake.

Sorry for the derail.

LOL, I think all the lakes in AB should be called "Cold Lake 1", "Cold Lake 2", "Cold Lake 3"... etc haha

Any I dead how to go about it, if I were to entertain this idea and keep the strength integrity...? @Rayvon

I’d say sell the hourston. Buy a lake boat and go on charters on the coast.

Its not only dedicated fishing trips I/we want to do but also explore Desolation Sound, Nookta and several other areas, if it were just fishing I am down for that. Most of the family will want to explore and put around the inlets and coves...

You can rent cruisers for all of those trips. Buy a 20' Bayliner and be done with it.

You can rent cruisers for all of those trips. Buy a 20' Bayliner and be done with it.

Can you actually? Will the cruises make shore stops to beach-comb and explore?

What model Byliner are you thinking will best serve the checklist?

100%
The companies have full itineraries built into your charts.

I was on this boat for a charter after he podded it and put a Suzuki on it. Booked with him specifically as he had a transom door so my physically challenged buddy could get aboard. Sorry this is a before pic. I don't have an after. My point being transom doors and podded after the fact boats do exist. Yeah Justin's boat already had the transom door but they managed to stick a pod on there that worked super well with his Osprey.mistress.png

I think you'd actually rent the cruiser. Then how you want to spend the time is your choice. I’m sure there would be a inflatable for once you’ve anchored to get to shore.

I don't see any boat options yet, anything? Buler Buler Buler...

Back