23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I think you should put in reinforcement and mount locations for both options... Why not? The cords going to be long enough for both locations and if you anticipate getting into tough or easy currents locate them accordingly. Like a couple extra stainless nut plates.

Dude I cant believe no one has pointed out those ski eyes are installed inverted...

Turn the picture until you achieve your desired liking of oritation :) I wouldn’t be doing much water skiing with this boat lol, they be trailer tie downs and for towing individuals that over consume... haha :confused:

Last edited:
I’m loving the available storage of the command bridge, just need a cover and all set... great I idea!

E6ACCD71-7324-4851-9D32-2892B77B74F7.jpeg

Are you going to put the bench seat back in or swivels? If swivels you may want to put in some backing to bolt to. I would make them removable so you could put traps or a small inflatable up there. Keep up the great work

Are you going to put the bench seat back in or swivels? If swivels you may want to put in some backing to bolt to. I would make them removable so you could put traps or a small inflatable up there. Keep up the great work

Agreed! I would like folding back swivels so they can be removed and become a place to sun tan and hang out for my daughter and her friends...

Last edited:
Underside of everything complete!!! Waiting for a gal of Interlux InterProtect 2000e (https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/primer/interprotect-2000e) primer before I can continue... There are many different layers on substrate (paints and gel) over the 45+ years so I will be using the InterProtect 200e to ensure proper bonding of all materials for final gel finish.

IMG_0486.jpeg IMG_0444.jpeg IMG_0511.jpeg

Last edited:
a gal ? inteprotect 2000e usually needs 8 coats of alternating grey/white.

@zurk Manufacture min - max recommendation is 1 - 5, where are you getting that it needs 8 coats?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.50.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.50.44 PM.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 12
i apply it every second year. used to do 4-6 coats but it ended up getting scraped off by debris. a log can take out 3-4 coats easy.
doing 8 coats makes sure the hull is protected fully for a couple of years. thin coats (thick just flakes off) and 8 coats is optimal.

i apply it every second year. used to do 4-6 coats but it ended up getting scraped off by debris. a log can take out 3-4 coats easy.
doing 8 coats makes sure the hull is protected fully for a couple of years. thin coats (thick just flakes off) and 8 coats is optimal.

:p Hey @zurk , i think you are confused. The InterProtect is the primer I will be using for the topside, roof and command bridge before I gelcoat it. I think you are thinking bottom paint... no?

:p Hey @zurk , i think you are confused. The InterProtect is the primer I will be using for the topside, roof and command bridge before I gelcoat it. I think you are thinking bottom paint... no?

yep its a bottom epoxy primer. topside not sure how well it works. ive tried a bit of it on mine topside and it always flaked off due to the flexing and pooling due to gravity. now i just use rattle can paint for aluminum (merc) topside which works ok ish.

yep its a bottom epoxy primer. topside not sure how well it works. ive tried a bit of it on mine topside and it always flaked off due to the flexing and pooling due to gravity. now i just use rattle can paint for aluminum (merc) topside which works ok ish.

Hey zurk, this is not a bottom paint, it’s a primer... I don’t think we are on the same page on this product :) this product was recommended by two retail locations as a primer then gelcoat. Geeze, I hope it works :)

The data/spec sheet states It can be used in the gelcoat repair process.

You are right that it is also used on the bottom before antifoul paint to create a barrier but I can’t see this product turning flaky like some bottom paint, maybe I am misinformed. Humm???

Last edited:
I've never heard of using a primer under gelcoat,enlighten me.

I know this will get derailed and go to an epoxy vs polyester compatibility debate so its probably better to wait until I get the product and do the testing but contrary to popular belief epoxy and polyester can bond...

@Rayvon please note the last point in below, Interlux InterProtect 2000e was recommended as a substitute due to Canadian availability and problematic Covid shipping logistics. Enlightening info below... :D

Long story short, I was planning on painting the boat with Alexseal but had a mind change, go figure...:oops:

Anyways I used a fairing product from TotalBoat called "TotalFair" which is an epoxy based fairing compound that does not produce any amine blush yet it will not bond to polyester based products so to make both the epoxy fairing compound and the gelcoat bond I need something chemically friendly to both, thus the primer. Hope this makes more sense knowing my application... I could also use say "West System" epoxy resin and apply over the fairing compound and then apply gelcoat, that would also work but thought a primer would give me a sandal base build to fill small scratches etc.

I know this is not the intended use for this product :cool:

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.33.29 PM.png

Last edited:
Humm, I have to get some more info on this as I think the Interlux PrimeKote might be a better solution...
https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/undercoating/epoxy-primekote

TotalBoat 2-Part Epoxy Primer = Interlux PrimeKote Primer
TotalProtect Barrier Primer = Interlux InterProtect 2000e Primer

I'll post what I find out and test results...

Last edited:
Just wondering why your going to all this expense and work if what you want in the end is a gelcoat finish? Had the deck been painted ? If not why can't you just fill w/polyester products and then spray Gel?

Just wondering why your going to all this expense and work if what you want in the end is a gelcoat finish? Had the deck been painted ? If not why can't you just fill w/polyester products and then spray Gel?

Hey great questions... and yes its becoming a pain! :oops: I just might use "West System" and give it all a coat of epoxy resin with a quick sand and done, it will bond to all previous materials and ready for gelcoat! You could be correct and in hindsight, I could have perhaps gotten away with just ALL polyester products.

why your going to all this expense and work if what you want in the end is a gelcoat finish? - As mentioned my initial thought way back when, in December, was to paint with Alexseal which is why I used the products I did for fairing.

Had the deck been painted ? Yes the deck has been painted multiple times over the years, from what I can tell at least 4 times.

If not why can't you just fill w/polyester products and then spray Gel? Based on the unknowns and paints, I was looking for something to ensure a bond between the fairing compound I used, previous unknown paints, polyester and previous unknown prepping materials.

Last edited:

Hey @zurk , been reading into the wee hours on this InterProtect 2000e and you are right, many apply up to 12 coats to achieve the recommended thickness but from what I can tell the product does cure/dry very hard with an effort but not impossible to sand. I can't seem to find any testimony to it being flaky, stupid question but it is a 2-part epoxy , are you using the correct ratio? and it should not come off from hitting debris, form what I can tell. The bottom paint is however a different animal, thank you for all your above info it got me to dig a bit deeper...;)

Last edited:
Back