23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
I don’t think you should put their fiberglassing skills up against YOUR fiberglassing skills. If YOU made a fibreglass pod I could guarantee that wouldn’t happen. Take a pattern, measurements etc, off a proven pod design on the same boat and go to town. What would it cost you to make a fiberglass pod in material (approx)

Oly
And use new osb to build it, don't skimp!

Last edited:
Topside almost ready to spray, as well as top of roof...

Can someone please tell me the best size cleats to install, 6" or 8"? Also location and number of rod holders? thank you

IMG_0487.jpeg IMG_0486.jpeg IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

Rod holders and downriggers are very much a personal preference.

In my opinion the Scotty bases are way too far back. I would mount the Scotty bases approx 18" forward of the aft end of the cockpit. Keep the forward rod holders where they are, and add another pair of rod holders at the aft end of the cockpit (sorta where you've sketched the Scotty bases now).

Wait till the boat is completely done before attempting down rigger and rod holder .. first you need a engine!!! lol and sooner or later ill see you out here and you can see how my 26 is set up and reasons why....

Rod holders and downriggers are very much a personal preference.

In my opinion the Scotty bases are way too far back. I would mount the Scotty bases approx 18" forward of the aft end of the cockpit. Keep the forward rod holders where they are, and add another pair of rod holders at the aft end of the cockpit (sorta where you've sketched the Scotty bases now).

Thank you for your input and reply... I do like the Scotty’s back aft as the lead ball can be stored on the deck of the pod, saw it done this Way and looks slick.

Reason for asking is because I’m planning on putting non-skid now so would like to have flat spots to mount hardware (cleats, rod holders, Scotty base etc...) instead of having non-skid underneath...

I will have a partial binimi over 1/2 the deck I suspect so would like everything mounted as aft as possible.

FYI the farthest aft rod holder is for bbq/fillet table

Last edited:
Thank you for your input and reply... I do like the Scotty’s back aft as the lead ball can be stored on the deck of the pod, saw it done this Way and looks slick.

Reason for asking is because I’m planning on putting non-skid now so would like to have flat spots to mount hardware (cleats, rod holders, Scotty base etc...) instead of having non-skid underneath...

I will have a partial binimi over 1/2 frack I suspect so would like everything mounted as aft as possible.

Uh...I think you'll still be able to have the balls on the swimgrid with the 'riggers mounted 12-18" ahead of the aft end of the cockpit. Rigger booms are usually 30-60" long, so you'll be able to swing the booms aft and keep the balls on the swimgrid. Operating the 'riggers way back there is harder, as is grabbing the rod out of the boom-mounted rod holder (assuming you use them).

Uh...I think you'll still be able to have the balls on the swimgrid with the 'riggers mounted 12-18" ahead of the aft end of the cockpit. Rigger booms are usually 30-60" long, so you'll be able to swing the booms aft and keep the balls on the swimgrid. Operating the 'riggers way back there is harder, as is grabbing the rod out of the boom-mounted rod holder (assuming you use them).
Man it's like you're reading my mind every time.

I will have a partial binimi over 1/2 the deck I suspect so would like everything mounted as aft as possible.

Check out those new Burnewiin mounts.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CC99-QsDqCW/?igshid=42c2aixu8quw

I do like the Scotty’s back aft as the lead ball can be stored on the deck of the pod, saw it done this Way and looks slick.
Ive seen it too but also seen when the lead leeches out onto pod making it look like crap best is to store balls away or on the hooks on the downriggers ..You have plenty of time as seating and deck space may change its easy to put rigger mounts on anyways I suggest like what ive done on mine a sold alum fab bracket when and where dictates where they go here is how mines set up dowrigger as far forward as i can then one rod holder then back rod holder, fish on swing rigger forward its completely out of way swing in on swivel to set gear go look at my video on my web site you will see how I set gear etc,,,,
38907566_2311372482221394_1989723705307037696_n.jpg

I like John's setup at Hindsight Charters....

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 4.51.25 PM.png

Yes if your going to fish way off shore at back of boat is best but if your not the constant reaching over and leaning all day over them is a real pain in the you know what , thats why I said wait you have time you need a engine and pod first LOL

Yes if your going to fish way off shore at back of boat is best but if your not the constant reaching over and leaning all day over them is a real pain in the you know what , thats why I said wait you have time you need a engine and pod first LOL

Lol

Back