23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
If you sell the flybridge as shown for $1500 you can get the proper $1500 rails. Just sayin’!

No one will buy the command bridge for $1500, ppl dump these, the only thing of value to me is the hardware and covers, my bridge is completely rebuilt with beefed up bottom flange... controls are outdated and has no value. I emailed him 3 times now and no reply

People will buy anything. Take that pod you are looking at buying for example ;)
Just saying the bridge will cost you more money to do. At this point, You have to do less things to a higher quality.

For the record, i voted keep it, pod it, single motor, remove bridge, and accept funding.

You are awesome! Thank you... :D I am trying to continue on my own for now, we'll see how things go ;), i also really appreciate everyones support and willingness to pitch in, thank you so much to everyone

You wont need to beef up transom Rob as they bolt it from one end to another to spread the weight out and . ive seen water downed transoms etc that pods have been slopped on. the way you have done it looks great dont worry so much LOL

You wont need to beef up transom Rob as they bolt it from one end to another to spread the weight out and . ive seen water downed transoms etc that pods have been slopped on. the way you have done it looks great dont worry so much LOL

ok, ill just finish my tabbing along the sides and floor and forget about the additional 2x4 bracing :) I would like one continuous piece of aluminum 1/4" flat bar from one side to the other w/through bolts rather than aluminum plate washers...

Last edited:
ive seen them use like 6 inch flat bar and 3/16 on some just ask the builder when he does it.. (if it has room) you dont need to worry about it popping thru you have all new wood old saturated spongy wood yes , most builders sika pod to transom and bolts and slam it in never to move again in life

ive seen them use like 6 inch flat bar and 3/16 on some just ask the builder when he does it.. (if it has room) you dont need to worry about it popping thru you have all new wood old saturated spongy wood yes , most builders sika pod to transom and bolts and slam it in never to move again in life

I heard Tom Jenkins in Sooke done lots of Hourston's, please PM me with any +/- regarding this builder... thx

Also I was told that because of the unpronounced reverse chine the boat does rock a bit at rest and to counteract this, the pod design should have a flat taper from bottom to top (swim grid) rather than a V or hull extension design.

Fact or fiction...?

Last edited:
I dont know about all that im not a builder but I do know a fellow who did a pod on his hourston like mine and it too much flotation , i personally like to step up designs as it seems to what ive seen perform better , you can still make it a full grid but what ive seen them doing now is the area where the engine goes is at one level and then 6 inchs or so above that is where the platform is so any water flows into where engine site and then out. I really dont know how many Jenkins has done to be honest I know the guys in langford have done LOTS, if you do need to bring it to island . You can store it at my place as I have room for it, we can work something out im about 20 mins from langford and 3 mins from jenkins

Sort of like this one but the "grid" is higher and it has more space for water to flow underneath I personally think this is a good design but again you need to consult with these pod builders as they are ever changing them on how they perform and work just pick someone who has built lots of them

4500802_orig.jpg

Your going to need to know your exact plan as far as engines. They need the weight to calculate flotation. A friend of mine is having a pod done right now for his 20’ Malibu at Jenkins. I’ll let you know how it works out. So far they are 5 weeks behind on their estimated delivery date.

Your going to need to know your exact plan as far as engines. They need the weight to calculate flotation. A friend of mine is having a pod done right now for his 20’ Malibu at Jenkins. I’ll let you know how it works out. So far they are 5 weeks behind on their estimated delivery date.

Sounds good I am in no rush by no means, would like to be diligent and pick the right builder, I spoke with Mike from Codfather Charters the other day and he passed on Tom's name as a reputable source... Karol Frossey may be another, he built a POD for my buddies 26' Commander and looks pretty well done...

@Stizzla - I think the single 300 is the better option and cost effective ATT... although 150's are very popular, cheeper and easy to get one for a parts if I go with twins that would be the motors of choice, I am almost certain twin 115's would be just fine and again lots of them around... I don't need to hit a log/dead head going 45MPH :)

Attachments

• IMG_8576.JPG
    IMG_8576.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8577.JPG
    IMG_8577.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_8578.JPG
    IMG_8578.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8584.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8617.jpeg
    IMG_8617.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Sounds good I am in no rush by no means, would like to be diligent and pick the right builder, I spoke with Mike from Codfather Charters the other day and he passed on Tom's name as a reputable source... Karol Frossey may be another, he built a POD for my buddies 26' Commander and looks pretty well done...

@Stizzla - I think the single 300 is the better option and cost effective ATT... although 150's are very popular, cheeper and easy to get one for a parts if I go with twins that would be the motors of choice, I am almost certain twin 115's would be just fine and again lots of them around... I don't need to hit a log/dead head going 45MPH :)
Any reports on how this performed?

Any reports on how this performed?

sorry not atm, its not fully rigged yet, he is redoing the interior so no numbers until next summer I suspect :(

I gotta say that pod looks like a strange design,but I'm not a pod builder either.I just don't get why you would build a catch basin for water on top ,with drains no doubt and the flat bottom makes no sense to me.The butt end where the motors mount could be flat instead of pieced in,but maybe that makes it stronger..Has that builder done many pods before?

Last edited:
I gotta say that pod looks like a strange design,but I'm not a pod builder either.I just don't get why you would build a catch basin for water on top with drains no doubt and the flat bottom makes no sense to me.The butt end where the motors mount could be flat instead of pieced in,I don't get it.Who built it,has he done many?

The one on the Commander was built by Karol Frossey, Port Alberni, I don't know much about POD's or their design, just their purpose lol :eek: , I just know I can't afford any mistakes :cool:

I can't comment on the designs performance/effectiveness of this one and I believe that this one was the biggest that he has done...

Back