23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
what exactly is preventing you from taking the boat on the water ? it looks like the hull is complete basically. shove a 9.9HP tiller kicker on the back and use it as a john boat.
at least putting it on the water is gonna get you some motivation to finish it.

Moving forward, if I only buy used with the exception of deck hardware and rubrail and notch the transom which will save me $4000 and keep the interior as utility (bench, table, vberth and helmet seat) and not a Taj Mahal :0 things could look very different with the budget, might even have to cancel the command bridge for now LOL... really working numbers :mad:

...and no S5 shock!

IMG_2801.JPG IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2804.JPG

what you should do is complete the hull. the rest of it is optional and you can add it another time. boats dont need seats. they dont need a vberth. as you get money keep adding the best of everything. start by completing the hull to its final specs. add a bench to the back. add a small kicker with tiller - like a tohatsu 9.9 or 15, which youre gonna need anyway. those come with remote kits. take the boat out fishing to lakes etc. so if you think you will have an extension pod -- do that now. get an extra long handle for the tiller. get the boat in the water and putter around lakes. when you get the money buy the remote throttle kit, shockwave seats and steering wheel. when you get more money add on a real outboard and remote steering. then keep adding as you need stuff like vberth etc. once its on the water its a boat and not a project. this will keep you motivated.

Ok, time to get on with it and back on track...:eek:

@Corey_lax Thanks bud, windows done and looks great, a bit more clean up and finito :D The new black seal doesn't quite cover and hide the old grey seal but as long as she be water tight is all that counts... Dang don't know if I have any before pictures and all the moss growth that was on them but what a transformation!

View attachment 54523View attachment 54524View attachment 54525View attachment 54526
Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing it finished with a pod and fresh Yamaha on the back haha

Put some extra glass (2 x 1708 & 1.5oz cm) at the nose for the pulpit :) Infills of screw holes done and getting her all cleaned up before I turn it over with a fresh coat of gel while it is easy to get at! :D

IMG_0422.jpeg IMG_0423.jpeg

Last edited:
Where did you learn your boat building skills sir ?
very impressed ! :cool:

Well from you guys of course! I just do as I am told , just like any good husband... haha :rolleyes:

Actually, boats have always has been a passion of mine since a kid :) dabbled with glass over the years... ;)

Yes, I believe Charles "Chuck" and Bill Hourston would be impressed as well. LOL

Last edited:
I am having a problem getting a good price for aluminum rub rail, anyone with a good source? I need 64 feet with rubber insert 1 3/8' x 3/4", I believe...

I think you should start a go fund me for the pod.....

Cant do a pod so might be the notch, I would save $4000 on the build as a return trip to Port Alberni :( the boat is ready for one :p

Last edited:
Did you add trailer tie downs back there yet?

Got'em, I just picked up three bow eyes this evening 1/2" x 4 3/4" thread with 1 7/8 @ centre, as my transom 3" thick $109.00 :cool:

IMG_0424.jpeg

Last edited:
Cant do a pod so might be the notch, I would save $4000 on the build as a return trip to Port Alberni :( the boat is ready for one :p

Fabricator - Karl Fossey in Port Alberni
"Depending on how high up the plug is I usually like to start flush but put a scallop in the bottom for access and would give it two inches slope because that’s what the water would naturally do and with the design it’s a bit more work but very safe, keeping in mind yours would be in that 3400 range installed without paint for a single motor and kicker bracket. Let me know Thz"

Last edited:
Fabricator - Karl Fossey in Port Alberni
"Depending on how high up the plug is I usually like to start flush but put a scallop in the bottom for access and would give it two inches slope because that’s what the water would naturally do and with the design it’s a bit more work but very safe, keeping in mind yours would be in that 3400 range installed without paint for a single motor and kicker bracket. Let me know Thz"

That's actually how I built mine... And I was concerned lol..
2 pails do it easy!

Back