23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
How did you clean those? Was it just a simple polish? or some sort of corrsion remover?

Last edited:
Robert Snyder, you are one crazy summummummabitch! (in a good way)

Just finally stumbled upon this legendary thread this week and I must say I appreciate your work and your attention to detail. Youre proving that if you want something done right theres nobody better for the job than yourself. If I had your patience and skills (and shop) I might not even be looking to build an aluminum boat at all, Id just "bulletproof" the popemobile.

Hats off to you good sir. :)

Attachments

• Resizer_15912426227480.jpg
    Resizer_15912426227480.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Resizer_15912428658932.jpg
    Resizer_15912428658932.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Resizer_15912428658930.jpg
    Resizer_15912428658930.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167
  • Resizer_15912428658931.jpg
    Resizer_15912428658931.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 165
Here's a few. Sorry I had a cracked camera lense on my phone at the time so quality isn't the greatest

Thx for posting, you went with shark white? tonnes of work... :)

Last edited:
Robert Snyder, you are one crazy summummummabitch! (in a good way)

Just finally stumbled upon this legendary thread this week and I must say I appreciate your work and your attention to detail. Youre proving that if you want something done right theres nobody better for the job than yourself. If I had your patience and skills (and shop) I might not even be looking to build an aluminum boat at all, Id just "bulletproof" the popemobile.

Hats off to you good sir. :)

Well thank you kind sir, appreciate it! :) I vote "bullet-proof" the popemobile...

Out of control, again... :eek: Getting ready to put some colour on the hull, almost there! :confused: I added a pic of the transom, its 3" thick (epoxy filled), should be able to hang twins on 'er.

View attachment 53560 IMG_2933.jpeg IMG_0547.jpeg IMG_0274.jpeg View attachment 53553

Last edited:
I thought about going with shark white, but based on all the reviews I read on THT, almost all of them said it looked like **** after a month in the water. The white ends up showing all the green scum/growth. They all mentioned they would paint it black again when the time came.

IMG_0277.jpeg IMG_0278.jpeg IMG_0279.jpeg

Check out Petit Vivid. If I was wanting a semi hard ablative in white thats what I would use. Fishin solo used it on his hull and looks great after a season of mooring.

So, to answer a few questions from above posts...

- The bottom/underside of the plywood deck was prep'ed with a penetrating coat of poly resin then 1oz cm
-Limber holes has been install
- All my conduits will be underside of gunwales, not under floor
Hey loving this rebuilt, koodoos to all the hard work. Just wanted to share a quick story. I purchased a 1994 17.2 sportsman from a guy and the boat was sitting in his driveway for years with a leaking fuel tank and full of water. I got it for a decent price but I could hear water inside the hull...I was at a loss so I called Hourston in North Van (when they were still open) and left a message. Low and behold Bill Hourston himself called me back, told me to drill an inspection cover into the centre of the forward fish locker and check for any water or rot (which he guaranteed there would be none due to the amount of sealant and fiberglass they use. Thankfully he was right. He also suggested drilling two holes big enough to accommodate a 1 "plug as low and far aft as possible in the bilge well towards the outboard. Also a bit of water in there, he said these holes and inspection covers should have been installed when they built it....so long story what you've done is the way Bill Hourston suggested doing himself. Nice work. Also to note had the boat tested for any water or rot and everything came out good so it was built right in the first place and sealed well, also I open all these in the winter months in a heated garage to help air everything out. Take care and keep up the good work.

Thank you @Dencope, sounds like you got a nice, well built boat :) You have to attached a pic of your boat "new rule" LOL

Rumour has it hourston aimed for hatteras white, I can say the white on our is damn bright.

Bright white looks clean! I am thinking of Hatteras for my non-skid

Hey, wondering if you can help me out, does anyone know what was applied to original bits & pieces of accenting exposed plywood which shows the grain, perhaps a darkened stain and sealer of sorts?

It has held up pretty good and was thinking of doing something similar.... I'll try and post a pic, thank you

FYI - its paint day tomorrow for the hull so thinking about the POD a bit more vs transom notch, price for a new mounted single with kicker bracket was $3500, that will be a $4K round trip easy. Below is a notched Bertram :) It don't look terrible o_O

006.jpg

Last edited:
Back