23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Will there be a helm up there?
I will install the command bridge first and work slowly towards creating a complete helm station if everyone likes it and it has value to the family... If not its an easy removal :)

I will install the command bridge first and work slowly towards creating a complete helm station if everyone likes it and it has value to the family... If not its an easy removal :)
Definently pot committed if you did decide to put it all in now. Big expense.

No one would be up top in white water anyway. The metronome effect is minimal, at best, unless you and the crew are up there. You yourself know how much weight a flying bridge will add, and yours is a mini edition.

No one would be up top in white water anyway. The metronome effect is minimal, at best, unless you and the crew are up there. You yourself know how much weight a flying bridge will add, and yours is a mini edition.
Mine has 500 lbs of gear at all times lol.

If you are going to put the Flybridge on you have to do the controls, otherwise you might as well just throw up a couple lawn chairs.

I know what it feels like in my Hourston taking large yachtie wakes to beam when I'm trolling and it definitely pivots on the vee...it would not be fun in a command bridge. The hull does have nice hard chine that helps a lot though.

The 2 boats you posted above, the sportfish and the fly bridge, are those hulls designed identically to yours? I'm not sure if chuck made any changes along the way to the 26' hull or not.

Just a quick video to pass away some time :)... O'boy, desperately need a hair cut!

Last edited:
Just one more thing to consider...your forward visibility from the cockpit will be obstructed. When I'm out on deck in my Seasport which is also a cabin design...I'm always looking over the roof while at the rear helm. Important when fishing tight quarters in a crowd.

Just one more thing to consider...your forward visibility from the cockpit will be obstructed. When I'm out on deck in my Seasport which is also a cabin design...I'm always looking over the roof while at the rear helm. Important when fishing tight quarters in a crowd.

Hey, good point. Would you think if I had windows in the Alaskan bulkhead it would provide the see-through visibility needed?

he won't see over the hardtop with the fly bridge

Hey, good point. Would you think if I had windows in the Alaskan bulkhead it would provide the see-through visibility needed?

First thing I looked for when kicking the bumpers of gillnetters,
Have they got the rear cabin window lined up with the rear steering station and not obstructed by the enclosed head!
Flybridge or not, good visibility and sight lines are imperative.

First thing I looked for when kicking the bumpers of gillnetters,
Have they got the rear cabin window lined up with the rear steering station and not obstructed by the enclosed head!
Flybridge or not, good visibility and sight lines are imperative.
On mine I've seriously considered adding two windows to the head for this reason. I'm always walking back and forth to look through the door or the port side. Having other guys on board helps but I'm seriously considering one of those big round parking lot mirrors lol.

What are your thoughts, what would you do?

What are your thoughts, what would you do?

Fly bridges are known water intrusion points. think of a large funnel right on top of your beautiful hard work.
no but seriously call a fire flood restoration company in the area and ask them to send a tech with some good moisture meters to check and see how bad the water penetration is. pre drill some small holes in the suspect bad areas and he can place the probes of the meter right into the ply to determine how bad it is

Fly bridges are known water intrusion points. think of a large funnel right on top of your beautiful hard work.
no but seriously call a fire flood restoration company in the area and ask them to send a tech with some good moisture meters to check and see how bad the water penetration is. pre drill some small holes in the suspect bad areas and he can place the probes of the meter right into the ply to determine how bad it is

great idea thx, I think Home Depot sells them as well but I’m sure the restoration companies have better devices, I’ll make some calls. Thx

So, I got this section sanded to a semi-flat state... Weid place to have a join, I think this was not a Friday build but a moonlight'ed Sunday :) Balsa wood looks to be good so far...

IMG_9958.jpeg

Last edited:
Still surprised by how they just scabbed these boats together using any old piece of wood they had and they are still around today.

Still surprised by how they just scabbed these boats together using any old piece of wood they had and they are still around today.

Lov it! you sir are so right... :eek: this one should be around for another 50yrs

Ok,you clearly know more than someone that worked on boats all their lives as a shipwright as well as other long term boat owners on this forum,I won't try to advise you again.Even a passing boats wake will toss your wife and kids around,just sayin.

Hey Rayvon, I am sorry that you feel this way, my sincere apologies if I have offended you. I am not understanding how you came to the conclusion that "I clearly know more that anyone else on here"? I do agree that times will be limited on the bridge and that has been clearly indicated and reiterated many times without dispute. I do value your opinion as well as everyone else so please continue to offer you suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Can you provide any support on the roof modification as per the last 2 videos? I am not too certain which direction I will go...

Last edited:
Back