23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
So if you're offering up the help I'll ask, for cosmetic holes (+-1/8") above the waterline in smooth visible areas what would your whole process involve? Could the filling be done to a point where someone else could do all the gel coat repairs after the fact? I'd like to fill a bunch of holes the previous idiot owner put around the boat adding junk solar lights and cheap rusted tool holders.

if i may wade in, there is some kits you can buy that can fill smaller holes and you then wet sand it flat. i had a few drill holes and a large chip out of the gel coat that went clear down to the matting. i bought one of these kits and filled the holes. i was pleasantly surprised with the quality and finished result. i’m very fussy and it was virtually invisible. eventually after years the patch faded and you could see the repair but it was still hard as balls.

Got to be more then that. I’m 6’2” and can stand inside no problem. Could measure tonight when I get home

Thank you, I mean at helm and at table :) ontop of the step down to roof. Could you pls measure both heights for me... thx ya

Sorry just came in from boat and saw this. I only measured from step down to roof was 6'4 1/2" that's to headliner. I'm not really understanding what the measurement that you are asking? Do you mean the seat box height, because there the cushion on top of that? the helm side it's just the counter height and the flip seat.

Hi Everyone. First time poster here... Rob and I have already connected offline but I wanted to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and opinions as well. Lurking in here has been incredibly valuable to me as I'm mid-rebuild on a 23'er myself and nearing the stage of cabin/Alaskan bulkhead work. I posted now because at 6'6", my forehead is very interested in what a taller roof would require/cost. I cannot stand up fully inside the cabin! I think the stock roof height inside is 6'4" roughly.

There's also a guy that is perhaps midway through a Hourston 23 forward leaning conversion. This pic is from his site where he also has other pics mid-process etc. IMHO, looks like very nice work. https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/quinntheboatbuilder

Hourston Forward Leaning.jpg Hourston Forward Leaning Interior.jpg

Hi Everyone. First time poster here... Rob and I have already connected offline but I wanted to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and opinions as well. Lurking in here has been incredibly valuable to me as I'm mid-rebuild on a 23'er myself and nearing the stage of cabin/Alaskan bulkhead work. I posted now because at 6'6", my forehead is very interested in what a taller roof would require/cost. I cannot stand up fully inside the cabin! I think the stock roof height inside is 6'4" roughly.

There's also a guy that is perhaps midway through a Hourston 23 forward leaning conversion. This pic is from his site where he also has other pics mid-process etc. IMHO, looks like very nice work. https://gramho.com/explore-hashtag/quinntheboatbuilder

View attachment 51654 View attachment 51655
IMO That style cabin doesn't suit that boat.

Interesting. I talked to the owner of Coastal Craft Boats at the floating component of this years Vancouver boat show about why they did the rearward sloping windshield in their 33 Express vs the forward rake on the 30 and 33 Pro Fish. He said it was the clientele market in Florida and other places where they would not deem a forward rake necessary. Form over function. Regarding the Hourston project, I have to disagree with you, it would open up the interior space immensely and be a wise choice. The one example shown is not exactly how I would do it though, that looks a bit clunky. Lots of forward raked boats look good, that one not so much.

The one example shown is not exactly how I would do it though, that looks a bit clunky. Lots of forward raked boats look good, that one not so much.

I agree...

64" /5'4" sounds about right. I would at least like to raise to 72"/6' @ helm, that would be an 8" height increase. IF i do this, I say again IF, I would need to design the modification to be both ecstatically appealing to compliment the Hourston hull as well as functional.

Hey Rob, progress is looking great so far. I wanted to ask if you’re really adamant on adding a bow pulpit to the Hourston. I think one of the sexiest and most definable traits on those boats is the sharp nose of the bow and bow railing. :cool:. I think that pulpit would F it all up!

qsharedScreenshot.jpg

The angle of the forward rake on this Cope matches the angle at the back of the cabin, which is aesthetically sweeeeet! The Hourston above with the modified wheelhouse seems to have mismatched angles and I think that throws it off.

Hey Rob, progress is looking great so far. I wanted to ask if you’re really adamant on adding a bow pulpit to the Hourston. I think one of the sexiest and most definable traits on those boats is the sharp nose of the bow and bow railing. :cool:. I think that pulpit would F it all up!

hey, I appreciate your suggestion, I will be proceeding to modify pulpit for fitting, time will tell just how adamant I am... :)

Hi Rob, what about replacing the windows with ones that are 4" taller? The angle of the windscreen would increase a little and you'd have to heighten the alaskan bulkhead 4". Then you won't bash your head inside and a taller door would also help. Here's a *very* quick rough sketch with higher roof and altered angles on windscreen etc...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 1.45.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 1.45.54 PM.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
All this height added as well as a bridge will make the boat more unstable.I certainly understand wanting more headroom and raising the cabin height won't add that much weight,but adding the bridge on top of the added height on a 23 Ft.is going to make sitting up there very uncomfortable unless it's dead calm.You might want to decide which you want more,more headroom or the bridge.I know the wife's opinion will come into play on that one,so good luck.

Hi Rob, what about replacing the windows with ones that are 4" taller? The angle of the windscreen would increase a little and you'd have to heighten the alaskan bulkhead 4". Then you won't bash your head inside and a taller door would also help. Here's a *very* quick rough sketch with higher roof and altered angles on windscreen etc...

Thank you, yes thinking something similar, I will mess-around in CAD and see what I can come up with or if anyone else has ideas-to-paper let’s see them :)

Last edited:

Mine simply has a bow roller that the anchor rests upon under tension from the winch. The thing I don't like about pulpits is if you smoke a piling there will be damage transferring to the deck and hull quickly, cosmetically and beyond.
With my setup, it's more of a "hey smails you scratched my anchor" sort of thing.

All this height added as well as a bridge will make the boat more unstable.I certainly understand wanting more headroom and raising the cabin height won't add that much weight,but adding the bridge on top of the added height on a 23 Ft.is going to make sitting up there very uncomfortable unless it's dead calm.You might want to decide which you want more,more headroom or the bridge.I know the wife's opinion will come into play on that one,so good luck.

Hey, thank you, this is for the 26’er not a 23’er... :)

As we all know common sense has to play a part in this, why on God’s green earth would you want to be sitting @ the bridge during other than ideas/calm conditions?

... and yes the height will raise the centre point but “making the boat more unstable”, really? the command bridge weights about 45-55lbs. What’s the difference not having the command bridge and placing items such as life rafts and storage containers?

I really think it’s a good idea in theory, I just need to be convinced that it will not compromise safety, be functional and visually pleasing and complimentary to hull lines...

Last edited:
Back