23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

Discussion in 'Boats, Motors, Trailers and Towing Rigs Forum' started by Robert Snyder, Sep 4, 2019.

1. halimark

halimark Well-Known Member

Thanks

I will keep your #. Not decided yet. I can weld, design metal but never done fiberglass.

HM

2. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Crew Member

well HM, you seem like a handy guy, I’m sure you will be fine, we can FaceTime if you want to show me what you are dealing with and I can offer what ever advice/suggestion/opinion I can... it would cost nothing to explore the possibility.

3. halimark

Way too much for any in season mods, then summer in Africa? and fall hunting precludes anything but those. If/when I decide it will be a winter project.

HM

4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

breaking-news-geico-caveman-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it-not-working-for-me.jpeg

5. halimark

Funny guy RC. Lovin it.

HM

Rain City likes this.
  6. Robert Snyder

quick update, up at 5am and got the floor glassed, well most of it, was short about 2 yards, off to work :( lol

CM + 1708 + CM = "great floor for dancing", Thank you Lord, the last of the big laminations COMPLETE! Fyi all floor cloth extended up sides 1"-6" for additional tabbing and structure bonding.

IMG_1707.jpeg IMG_4863.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  7. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Crew Member

How many gallons of epoxy have you gone through?

8. Robert Snyder

hey, to be totally honest I’m not sure, I would guess between. 6-8 gallons...

If you meant to refer to resin I would also guess 6-8 5gal pails...

thank you for your question!
    RS

10:40am - As others have mentioned from experience, these boats do best with a little weight as per intended design. I was thinking, at one point in time, to keep things as light as possible ie use 1" stringers and less cloth and resin but at the end of the day I am so very thankful I made the choice to proceed in the direction as I have... I will never question my build, and i can probably safely say many others agree with me on this!

I will not say that "more is always better" all the time but erring on the side of caution is a good thing, the project requires carful consideration as to each specific step/task in the build process and modifications needed for completeness.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Wild Bill likes this.
  9. Robert Snyder

Here are a few pics of the 23'er...

Attached Files:

kingblazer84, Oly1, Stizzla and 5 others like this.
  10. Lucky Streak

Lucky Streak Member

Looks really sharp, nice work!

11. NDT

NDT Active Member

Great work! What product did you use on the outside? Gel coat or paint??

12. Robert Snyder

Alexseal paint...

gelcoat would have been a pain and time consuming, Alexseal is pricy but good stuff, going to use it on the 26’er as well, I think ???

kingblazer84, ab1752, Oly1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Robert Snyder

prepping dash before the bulkheads are installed....

I removed the original 1/2 plywood and sanded surface on backside of dash, then applied a fibreglass backer, that I made from 2 layers of cm, with thickened poly resin.

Once in place I used strips of plywood to suck everything tight until i achieved good squeeze out, let cure then remove plywood compression template on backside and plywood strips.

I also added a layer of cm on the backside that I bonded to structure for additional strength. As you can see the front face is almost prepped and ready for in-fill :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  14. Robert Snyder

deck is all complete..., for mow. It will need to be sanded and faired out laters but for now it is sealed! :eek:

IMG_9682.jpeg IMG_9683.jpeg

chromatose007 likes this.
  15. halimark

I will have to look at the boat a few times again. Right now I am awed by the SHOP. Amazing, awesome, dreamy....

HM

tekrunr, NDT and Robert Snyder like this.
  16. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

This boat is gonna last forever. Excellent work man love seeing all the updates

Robert Snyder likes this.
  17. Lucky Streak

Lucky Streak Member

Boy......very impressed with the quality and progression!

Nothing slows down Robert Snyder!

Robert Snyder likes this.
  18. Robert Snyder

LOL, thx! Only my lovely wife will slow me down when she wants/needs home renovations and improvements :) ... and here I thought I was lollygagging

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Corey_lax likes this.
  19. Robert Snyder

Hey ppl, I have a line on a pulpit for my Hourston rebuild, it is located in Nanoose Bay. Is there anyone coming from that direction that can transport it for me to Kelowna or Vernon?

Please let me know, Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files:

chromatose007 likes this.
  20. Robert Snyder

Hey guys, I believe my work is going to be slow, all of my contracts are generated from the east, Gov has shut down all non-essential services so that affects me directly.

Just throwing out a feeler to find out if there is interest for glass work or assistance with the project you have...

If you have a project and wish for additional support we can converse through FaceTime or Skype, email or text.

Please let me know, I look forward to seeing your project and possibly working with you, thank you

Oly1 and btr like this.