23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
... out with the old in with the new, built with 2 ply x 1/2"

IMG_0932.jpeg IMG_3789.jpeg

long cabin looks like loads of room and this one still has the dog house...

20616785_1908361892764150_6026179528332950201_o.jpg

This is likely going to be the best built Hourston in History!

Thank you for your kind words and support, appreciate it...

update of the day...

- got 1 layer of cm on the roof followed by 1 layer of boat cloth
- got a coat of waxed gel-goat to be sanded and faired
- got the stern all faired out, will sand tomorrow
- finished the plywood backing for underside of topside, I add another layer of 1/2" ply so it is now 1 1/2" think

Ooo and decided to stay with the long roof especially since I will be keeping the command bridge, it looks a little too squished with short roof and command bridge...

IMG_9133.jpeg IMG_9136.jpeg IMG_9138.jpeg

Last edited:
...well got all the new 3ply backing epoxied in place, I also done the stern as well since it was also scabbed together. Its a better feeling knowing all is new and better than factory! LOL

IMG_9143.jpeg IMG_9144.jpeg IMG_9146.jpeg IMG_9147.jpeg

Very surprised at the build quality of your Hourston. Seems like a lot of scabbed in for the build. When I did mine the only scanned in pieces were on the ends of the main stringers. Funny how with all the scabbed in pieces and polyester resins and these boats still last 40+ years. With your rebuild it will last easily another 50 years. Good work.

Very surprised at the build quality of your Hourston. Seems like a lot of scabbed in for the build. When I did mine the only scanned in pieces were on the ends of the main stringers. Funny how with all the scabbed in pieces and polyester resins and these boats still last 40+ years. With your rebuild it will last easily another 50 years. Good work.

Thank you casper5280, appreciate your encouraging words. Now that the worst is over these little things don’t seem so big :) Again, I stress that there is value, for me, in knowing that the modifications are done to “better than” acceptable standards.

On a side note the 23’er had no backing on the undersides, personally I prefer to have material there for fastening purposes, it also really makes a difference in stiffness, way stronger...

Last edited:
... how many is tooo many? LOL

Just installed support keens on aft section with WS Six10, its great stuff!!! Will glass in place tomorrow or Wednesday,,,

IMG_9211.jpeg IMG_9212.jpeg IMG_9213.jpeg IMG_9214.jpeg IMG_9215.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
You might want to drill a good size hole though them and use them as wire chase's.

Does anyone have a contact for the person who purchased the old Hourston molds? I have an idea.... :)

Call rob at blue star motors he was the one who had to sell them off.

Whomever bought the moulds was posting on here that they were going to bring new and improved hourstons to market a while back.

could you make a cut in for the ladder? so keep the long roof ya, but inset the ladder?

could you make a cut in for the ladder? so keep the long roof ya, but inset the ladder?

Hey, might be something to consider but need to progress to that point and see how things fit together... I am staying with the full/long cabin because i'm keeping the command bridge :)

Call rob at blue star motors he was the one who had to sell them off.

Whomever bought the moulds was posting on here that they were going to bring new and improved hourstons to market a while back.

Thank you, FYI - I reached out to Rob and the 23'er and 26'er molds were shipped to China a while ago, poopy, I had big plans :(

Last edited:
Hey, might be something to consider but need to progress to that point and see how things fit together... I am staying with the full/long cabin because i'm keeping the command bridge :)

could you not do long roof , short cabin? I have seen a similar style done with a sea-ray, big deck room, covered outdoor area. seemed quite a good balance. when the door is open people can still sit outside under the lip of the roof and out of the wind/rain.

Back