23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
It shouldn't be too hard to fit a piece of foam or wood to the deck and glass over it,just more work,dust,fill,sand,repeat.:) I assume you meant the small 6-8" piece under the cabin side aft of the windshield? I think I must be missing something?
No you are correct.

Looking at the pics of the boats topless got my thinking process going.
You should do something totally different and turn that 23’ into a center console. You seem to be handy enough with glassing and building you could pull it off and have it looking nice. You’d have the only center console Hurston out there, be a heck of a fishing machine.

You should do something totally different and turn that 23’ into a center console. You seem to be handy enough with glassing and building you could pull it off and have it looking nice. You’d have the only center console Hurston out there, be a heck of a fishing machine.
Definitely be the only one with a fly bridge.:)

Wolf is right about the drains...something I learned a long time ago....sealed up compartments will get moisture in them and trapped water is trouble. Drains and inspection plates are your friend. I leave all my compartment inspection plates open during the winter so that there is air movement. If I find any trapped water I use a hand pump or a sponge to remove it. My boat didn't have inspection plates inside the cabin so I drilled them into the two forward compartments. The carpet hides them so only I know they are there.

Bulkheads glassed in forward and aft of fuel tank compartment & floor is ready to be glassed...

Attachments

• IMG_8396.jpeg
    IMG_8396.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8397.jpeg
    IMG_8397.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8398.jpeg
    IMG_8398.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_8399.jpeg
    IMG_8399.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 174
I would suggest you gelcoat with "airdry"all the way up to floor level before glassing your floor in.Polyester resin alone is porous.And don't forget to have some sort of weep hole between each compartment or you'll get condensation build up as "Profisher" said.Have you considered putting some ABS or PVC pipe under floor for pulling wiring from front to back? What are you sealing the bottom of the plywood with?

Last edited:
I would suggest you gelcoat with "airdry"all the way up to floor level before glassing your floor in.Polyester resin alone is porous.And don't forget to have some sort of weep hole between each compartment or you'll get condensation build up as "Profisher" said.Have you considered putting some ABS or PVC pipe under floor for pulling wiring from front to back? What are you sealing the bottom of the plywood with?

Fuel tank coffin is Done!

IMG_8403.jpeg IMG_8404.jpeg

Last edited:
I would really strongly suggest what I said and put some some drains in before trust me you will have water in them and doing it now will be easier then later, also are you sealing the plywood on your floor on the underside? all you need to do is a good coat of resin any bare wood will draw in water and start the rot process especially if your boat is in fresh water if you dont IT WILL rot, As my boat builder said to me along time ago fresh water rots salt water preserves... LOL

So, to answer a few questions from above posts...

- The bottom/underside of the plywood deck was prep'ed with a penetrating coat of poly resin then 1oz cm
-Limber holes has been install
- All my conduits will be underside of gunwales, not under floor

Attachments

• IMG_3527.jpeg
    IMG_3527.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_8417.jpeg
    IMG_8417.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8418.jpeg
    IMG_8418.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Nice job. That is how I did mine and the same plugs just all at the very back by the transom. Drilled a hole and inserted conduit and epoxied it in.

Nice job. That is how I did mine and the same plugs just all at the very back by the transom. Drilled a hole and inserted conduit and epoxied it in.

Thx you :) I done mine a bit different... I over sized a hole to 1 1/2" then filled with epoxy and re-drilled a hole to plug size, zero contact with wood, no chance of water weeping into stingers...

Not true. I have a 26 centre console Hourston

Ahhh. I don't keep up with all the multiple personality disorders on the forum these days o_O:D

Back