2159 outboard conversion

NDT

hey guys,

long time guest, first time posting....

I have a 2159 with a 4.3 tki that I'm thinking about converting to an outboard as the title states. Looking for any info that people may be willing to offer. In 2015, my transom was total rebuilt and reglassed. All my stringers are solid as well. The power plant was a 4 cyl, it was replaced with a low hour 4.3L tki. The boat performs well and I'm happy with the ride. Also the hulls in good shape.

The reason for wanting an outboard is that I winter fish a lot on Kootenay lake and it's a pain to drain every time I go out. Also, it would be nice to remove the dog house to open up the back, especially when the family is with me.

What type of bracket/pod works best with this hull? I was thinking a flotation type for a single outboard that is flush to the bottom of the hull with a kicker mount??

I am curious to know if it improved the handling and how so?

What hp outboard would be recommended? Thinking about a 225 four stroke. The 4.3 is 190hp.

The boat is a little back heavy with 4.3, but the scrubbers are still above the waterline.

I know it's an older boat, but I like a good project. If I pod it, I'd plan on keeping for about 7-10 years.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

What year is the boat and is the transom a bit of a curved shape. I did a 1984 Bayliner explorer and since bought a new boat but I still have the pod. It was a full floatation hull extension. I would definitely do the hull extension with the shorter boat.

I had a Yami 250 and the boat would do close to 50mph. I also have a nice aluminum roof rack that was awesome for storage.

I would guess that selling the boat as is for a good buck to someone not as concerned with the doghouse will make you better offf. And using what you would spend on the pod and repower project on a new boat would put you ahead.

You've already repowered to a better suited powerplant. The 4.3 makes the rig more desirable than the original 3.0.

Just my .02$

Reactions: NDT
What year is the boat and is the transom a bit of a curved shape. I did a 1984 Bayliner explorer and since bought a new boat but I still have the pod. It was a full floatation hull extension. I would definitely do the hull extension with the shorter boat.

She's an 1988, it has a slight curve, looks similar to the pic you posted. Thanks for the reply!

I would guess that selling the boat as is for a good buck to someone not as concerned with the doghouse will make you better offf. And using what you would spend on the pod and repower project on a new boat would put you ahead.

You've already repowered to a better suited powerplant. The 4.3 makes the rig more desirable than the original 3.0.

Just my .02$

I was considering that option as well, but not sure what the 2159's are going for. Any ideas?? 4.3l conversion, rebuilt transom, Alaskan bulkhead?? I know I haven't posted pics, planning on getting the boat home soon.

I guess I'll need to see what well maintained 94 4.3l tki with rebuilt alpha 1 gen2 is going for as well.

I would be doing all the work, as I am mechanically inclined. I should clarify that it would be a quality used outboard I would reposed with.

Thanks for the reply as it good to get the entire perspective before moving forward or not lol

Fishing solo really did a nice job on his pod. Do you have the curved transom?

I can tell you forsure that pod wouldn't work on my hull. The transom curve is way different horizontally and vertically. You may want to check cause if your going to be hacking and wacking it's easier and cheaper to start fresh with a template.... I don't know if your planning on building the pod yourself like I did as I'm a fabricator/welder by trade. My hull is a 91. No bad intentions @tains meant. Good luck

I can tell you forsure that pod wouldn't work on my hull. The transom curve is way different horizontally and vertically. You may want to check cause if your going to be hacking and wacking it's easier and cheaper to start fresh with a template.... I don't know if your planning on building the pod yourself like I did as I'm a fabricator/welder by trade. My hull is a 91. No bad intentions @tains meant. Good luck

Thanks for the reply fishin solo,

I haven't decided if I'm going to build it or have it built. I am a hd mechanic by trade, but would prefer if a journeymen welder did the finish welding for safeties sake as I would have my family on the boat with me . I have access to a Cnc laser jet cutting table as well.

Would you do the pod again? Boat handles well? What would be the minimum hp with a pod in your opinion?

Thanks

Yes I would do a pod again. My transom was a pain in the butt though. I went from the 3litre to a vrod 350sci so I can't really compare the handleing because it was very hard to get on plane before and I maxed out at 20mph........ however it handles fine and no issues since podding . yes I am way over powered lol however for me personally I wouldn't go less then a 225 as I tend to keep the boat fully rigged and stocked with gear. Mine goes over 60mph + but it starts to chime low 50's so I haven't really had it wide open long enough over 60mph to find out top speed. I built mine in 2 days by myself never used a cutting table just a shear and hydraulic brake. I made mine a little different then most do. My tub has some tapered bends in it and also my deck is very big it's around 46"x8' so it could fit traps and full size cooler

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback @fishin solo, 225 to 250 was what I was thinking of. Wow 60+ mph, quick run to the fishing grounds lol, I do like the large deck idea, definitely something to consider.

Is your pod flush with the bottom, or stepped? [last question lol]

Thanks for the feedback @fishin solo, 225 to 250 was what I was thinking of. Wow 60+ mph, quick run to the fishing grounds lol, I do like the large deck idea, definitely something to consider.

Is your pod flush with the bottom, or stepped? [last question lol]
Mine starts above the drain hole and is tapered up a few degrees can't remember exact degrees and my boat is in storage. It's semi flotation not a hull extension. My boat sits exactly the same as it did with the inboard ....the waterline didn't change at all with the amount of weight I took out and put back on hanging farther back . I also compensated and offset the angle of my swim platform so when the boat is sitting in the water or trolling the platform sits level if you don't do this and come straight back (90*)your platform will be under water. It all depends on the boat and how it sits, angles, how much you gonna lose in weight and then put back in etc I'm no expert on pods lol so guys may have diff ideas or suggestions but just some things for you to think about. All in all though I can't complain $500 in material and a weekend made it worth it for me!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: NDT
The most major common mistakes that I have seen on these mods is 1. Not making the hull a straight extension of the hull and 2. Not enough floatation In the pod. There are a lot of variables but I strongly suggest staying away from adding ANY angle to the bottom of the pod. Takes away from performance big time. If you have to add angle to it you are best off to make that bottom part clear the planing surface absolutely.
The photo above with the white pod and yami is a good picture of a straight extension. No angle added. Kootenay lake can be like the ocean nasty.
The remaining question would be how to calculate the amount of floatation you want that motor sitting on. I often see the s done where when in the water ther is only an inch of clearance between the water and the deck of the pod. Higher is better. Ideally 6-8 inches when not loaded. So many variables. If I did another one I would leave the space of the pod open to the inside of the hull for easy pumping.

Back