2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you check the tides?
They were moving...I know. 2 knots max I think. I added a couple 2 lb. Balls to each, but I haven't dealt with tides and prawn traps before. Anyways, followed the tide path Murray's tables had, binos for hours. there's just so much water. Saw a couple big metal barges move over the area, but I assume it's my operator error.

They were moving...I know. 2 knots max I think. I added a couple 2 lb. Balls to each, but I haven't dealt with tides and prawn traps before. Anyways, followed the tide path Murray's tables had, binos for hours. there's just so much water. Saw a couple big metal barges move over the area, but I assume it's my operator error.
I always worry about the big ships going in and out of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbour – it’s just not worth the risk of having a ship run over you’re trap floats. Prawning has never been that productive for me.

Tides were brutal out near Discovery. Stronger than I expected. I lost a trap out there a few months ago. If I do it again I will use a small anchor.

Tides were brutal out near Discovery. Stronger than I expected. I lost a trap out there a few months ago. If I do it again I will use a small anchor.
Yeah totally. We tried anchoring near zero rock and couldn't get our gear down,

i might be wrong but the tides last week were not for hali s !!!! maybe just the turn if you are really experienced !! but seemed way too hot !!!! let me know please

Good tides for anchoring for Hali are good tides for dropping prawn traps in high current areas like everywhere off Victoria...and vice versa.

Straight out To 250, ft stay out of the shipping lanes, have min 10lbs weight, 300ft sinkable rope & biggest float you have.Do that on the incoming flood on days with less than 2knots. If anything it will push your trap closer to Vic.
I had 1 prawn one day but 60 on another day with 2 hr soaks.

Attachments

• C6E72491-E838-4D8F-BC5C-3C1EB9A6CE36.jpeg
    C6E72491-E838-4D8F-BC5C-3C1EB9A6CE36.jpeg
    518.5 KB · Views: 94
Straight out To 250, ft stay out of the shipping lanes, have min 10lbs weight, 300ft sinkable rope & biggest float you have.Do that on the incoming flood on days with less than 2knots. If anything it will push your trap closer to Vic.
I had 1 prawn one day but 60 on another day with 2 hr soaks.

Rodger that. thanks for the info.

Oak Bay was kind of slow for jigging today. Just one Spring, a few rockfsh and two scallops. Good news is that someone has fastened some old tires to those nasty exposed bolts at the Cattle point ramp.
I noticed that the deepest / last tire was installed with white letters up versus black side up for the others so you can tell which tire is the last one. Seems to me like someone was thinking. Guess we'll soon see how visible the white letters remain after a some marine growth.

Ok, this is a bit different but very interesting (I think): let's see who of you is a fish whisperer and has the 6th sense: what is this and guess from where?

1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back