2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I have said before, I don't post pics of 8 lbs fish. I also don't need to resort to catching ling cod because I can't catch salmon.

Just letting people know there were same winter fish in the area
Pretty amazing that you always seem to catch salmon when no one else does just saying

Pretty amazing that you always seem to catch salmon when no one else does just saying
You have to get out and try, I was the only boat out, most people don't fish evenings this time of year, but the tide looked hood do I tried, and was rewarded with some winter feeders

But if everyone wants to be negative all the time you can continue yo get skunked all the time

Found a fairly new crab trap with multiple floats, line and bait container tangled with kelp near Brotchie Ledge today. No identification on the floats. If you have lost it and can describe it to me, I'll be sure to get it back to you.

What a day. So I check the tides, can't get out of oak Bay till about noon. Head way way out to my old stomping grounds. Fricken birds and bait everywhere. Bait was all good size. It was crazy. So I drop my gear
as I am going for lingcod, rock cod and maybe halibut I don't have any salmon gear, but I have my jigging rod and 1 salmon rod and Lingcod/ Halibut rods. So down goes my lingcod gear. 5 minutes drifting bam 15 lb Lingcod, reset back down bam huge rock cod probably 8 lbs, did this for like 3 hours had about 25 fish 6 keeper Lingcod all 12 to 15 lbs and too many rock cod to count all big. So I decide on my next drift I will troll back to my spot, I find a old flasher and dig deep into my tackle box to find an old Hootchie let it down 70ft in 235 ft of water and start trolling at a good clip to get back to cod spot. 4 minutes in bam wham rod goes off, peeling line in rigger. Holly crap really, think it's a spring and it's like a 14 lb wild coho. 1st one ever in Oak Bay. That's 42 years lol. So I get back to my spot, drop ling cod gear. Bam good fish on. Get it up about 15 lb red snapper. Have not seen one or caught one since about 18 years old. So after that I decide to come home. It was 4pm trolling home about 7 km per hour. I now have my jigging rod down with some old salmon gear 55ft and my other rod down 70ft . Trolled for about 20 minutes thru the bait and birds, was about to pack it in. Bam!!! Peeling line on my jigging rod. Holly crap, playing this , bam bam peeling line other rod goes off Holly Molly. Get both to boat two cookie cutter 12 lbs coho. Wild, I am like really 3 coho after 42 years lol. So I keep trolling home it's 4:30pm now. Get the gear set again troll for about 10 minutes. Bam bam double header. Wild coho both about 10 lbs. I am exhausted best 4 hours of fishing for all species ever. Epic day hot and flat calm. 12 / 10 day. Kept 1 big rock cod and 15 lb ling cod, all others released for another day. I guess you don't have to go to Sooke to get coho.

What a day. So I check the tides, can't get out of oak Bay till about noon. Head way way out to my old stomping grounds. Fricken birds and bait everywhere. Bait was all good size. It was crazy. So I drop my gear
as I am going for lingcod, rock cod and maybe halibut I don't have any salmon gear, but I have my jigging rod and 1 salmon rod and Lingcod/ Halibut rods. So down goes my lingcod gear. 5 minutes drifting bam 15 lb Lingcod, reset back down bam huge rock cod probably 8 lbs, did this for like 3 hours had about 25 fish 6 keeper Lingcod all 12 to 15 lbs and too many rock cod to count all big. So I decide on my next drift I will troll back to my spot, I find a old flasher and dig deep into my tackle box to find an old Hootchie let it down 70ft in 235 ft of water and start trolling at a good clip to get back to cod spot. 4 minutes in bam wham rod goes off, peeling line in rigger. Holly crap really, think it's a spring and it's like a 14 lb wild coho. 1st one ever in Oak Bay. That's 42 years lol. So I get back to my spot, drop ling cod gear. Bam good fish on. Get it up about 15 lb red snapper. Have not seen one or caught one since about 18 years old. So after that I decide to come home. It was 4pm trolling home about 7 km per hour. I now have my jigging rod down with some old salmon gear 55ft and my other rod down 70ft . Trolled for about 20 minutes thru the bait and birds, was about to pack it in. Bam!!! Peeling line on my jigging rod. Holly crap, playing this , bam bam peeling line other rod goes off Holly Molly. Get both to boat two cookie cutter 12 lbs coho. Wild, I am like really 3 coho after 42 years lol. So I keep trolling home it's 4:30pm now. Get the gear set again troll for about 10 minutes. Bam bam double header. Wild coho both about 10 lbs. I am exhausted best 4 hours of fishing for all species ever. Epic day hot and flat calm. 12 / 10 day. Kept 1 big rock cod and 15 lb ling cod, all others released for another day. I guess you don't have to go to Sooke to get coho.

Sounds like an awesome time! Heading out tomorrow with my son, and hoping for just a fraction of that kind of action!

Reactions: cby
Holly hell what a day @cby!!! I ventured out today also in a buddies boat. Caught a bunch of ling just under size. One had a mouth full of still alive needle fish! Was about to end the day when up comes this huge mouth! 9 pound ling! My first ever keeper ling!

Attachments

• 3739940D-D5DF-4C30-9E27-78CEF232D831.jpeg
    3739940D-D5DF-4C30-9E27-78CEF232D831.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Found a fairly new crab trap with multiple floats, line and bait container tangled with kelp near Brotchie Ledge today. No identification on the floats. If you have lost it and can describe it to me, I'll be sure to get it back to you.
Porcupine: My trap lost a month ago.
Description of trap: Black wire cheap Chinese made trap with a SS splint repair on top perimeter wire. Also, all 4 doors are custom Stainless Steel.

Porcupine: My trap lost a month ago.
Description of trap: Black wire cheap Chinese made trap with a SS splint repair on top perimeter wire. Also, all 4 doors are custom Stainless Steel.

Not yours. I've now given the trap to someone who had theirs "stolen". It was a new trap with three floats, one yellow, one red & white, and one a blue boat fender.

Heading out tomorrow morning. Any reports on Constance Bank. Are there any chinook out there or should we only be targeting coho in the deep?
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back