2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got out a tad late today from noon -4. Fished clover point - breakwater with my 6 year old daughter. Not a sign of any bait or fish out there and only one small cod that a seal grabbed as my daughter was reeling the last bit to the boat. Lost a brand new flasher and herring spoon, luckily she had the rod still in the holder or it would have been gone too.

Fished the mud hole yesterday. From 9am to noon and got 4 dog fish. From noon to 1pm we got two halibut.. Very nice day on the water. There were about 12 other boats around the mud hole area. I could see a few boats out at Constance.

Got out again today, trolled Macaulay all the way to Trial island and back. Worked the 120-150’ contours. Just several 12” springs and the start of a tan.

Don’t think much was happening, didn’t see many nets out and everyone I spoke with ( at a safe distance ) said they never got a thing of size.

This morning was the busiest I have ever seen Esq anglers launch. Everyone must have the same ideas of isolation and pre closure retention before things get bad.

Went out Friday early 7:30am set gear at Brochie, fished towards Clover looking to keep my streak alive off the flag pole. About 9am got one to the boat about 45 cm released at side of boat, 930 a better hit off the pole in 120ft was a 55 cm wild so we let her live. Looking for that big hatch we fished that zone hard with no bites, trolled back to Sax got a couple crabs as the wind and chop increased 3:30 ish. So the lucky streak ends at 2 but was a beauty day.

4EA83A0E-3787-40E8-92BE-60CFCA438B2B.jpeg Fished 12 to 6 for halibut. Got into one skate and one dog fish and a fish we don’t know what it is.

Anyone know this fish is?

Put a couple of chunks of meat on the bottom for a couple of hours off Oak Bay. Only caught a skate and a rock fish. No doggies about. Some big schools of herring around. Trolled the flats for a while but only caught a small spring. Crab traps were loaded.

Lots of boats out. No passenger craft and only a couple of aircraft. Anyone know what the Cyclone Helicopter was up to?

All but 2 strings of commercial traps in esquimalt lagoon where gone today, has the commy fleet taken a break from that area?

All but 2 strings of commercial traps in esquimalt lagoon where gone today, has the commy fleet taken a break from that area?
Commie fleet can’t sell their crab as most goes to China. The price has dropped out on all commercial fisheries if they’re even able to sell it.

Trolled Saturday for the first time this year with the family off the water front, was a little late getting lines down after dropping 4 crab traps. Only bite was on one of Kevin's new spoons, a shaker spring. Fished mostly deep, didn't see any nets out but saw some hardy fishermen in their open aluminums! Anyone fishing in the evenings this week before they lock us down? We'll all be going for "Groceries" this weekend ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back