2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0165-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook - Area 19 and 20 - Chinook Management Measures - Effective March 1, 2020

Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2020, until further notice, the daily limit for
Chinook is two (2) per day. These Chinook may be marked or unmarked 45 cm to 67
cm, and hatchery-marked only greater than 67 cm.

These measures apply in the following waters:

Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-4 to 20-7 (those waters near Victoria between
Cadboro Point to Sombrio Point)

Well, we gave border bank a whirl for hali this morning. Beautiful conditions if you were dressed warm! Unfortunately no hali love today. I can name you one fish species though that seems to do well in the changing ocean conditions: dogfish! I don't think I have ever seen so many doggies that early in the season. Between the two of us we must have reeled up close to 50 in 2.5h. It was exhausting. Can't imagine what's in store by June.... Talked to a number of hali fishers back at the dock and no one had a hali. Not a promising start.

Well, we gave border bank a whirl for hali this morning. Beautiful conditions if you were dressed warm! Unfortunately no hali love today. I can name you one fish species though that seems to do well in the changing ocean conditions: dogfish! I don't think I have ever seen so many doggies that early in the season. Between the two of us we must have reeled up close to 50 in 2.5h. It was exhausting. Can't imagine what's in store by June.... Talked to a number of hali fishers back at the dock and no one had a hali. Not a promising start.
I got a 35 lbs hali yesterday

Got out Thursday from 9-1 off esq. Trolled for a few hrs finally marked some fish in 165-170 but they weren’t hungry for offerings so we headed out deeper to jig up a Hali. Nice weather, calm seas even slack currents then there’s something on the line. Hmmm not much of a fight but steady weight... it could be..... nope ,but we did get a turn of the century champagne bottle full of mud that has been down there for a hundred plus yrs. I’m not given up yet.

Attachments

• F04EC5A1-CF5F-4E5D-A4E6-9EF0C7B2B597.png
    F04EC5A1-CF5F-4E5D-A4E6-9EF0C7B2B597.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
  • 1167FB2A-16C1-4071-AD89-942711922326.png
    1167FB2A-16C1-4071-AD89-942711922326.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
Got out looking for Hali today with no such luck. Weather and water was perfect, all I got was sore arms from cranking up doggies all day. Out tomorrow for another round as long as the wind stays decent.

Went out for hali this morning got 4 dog fish then my buddy got two nice rat fish and a bit later my buddy gets excited as says he has a hali on then as it gets half way up I didn't want to dissapoint him by telling him it was a skate not a hali, he was so dissapointed to see the skate. Then as it was close to heading home my rod goes down hard and my drag gets pulled out we got a nice one so I grab the rod and as I start to bring it in I'm very saddened as I can tell skate on at least it was an adventure filled day with a variety of fish but sadly no hali for us.

Went out for hali this morning got 4 dog fish then my buddy got two nice rat fish and a bit later my buddy gets excited as says he has a hali on then as it gets half way up I didn't want to dissapoint him by telling him it was a skate not a hali, he was so dissapointed to see the skate. Then as it was close to heading home my rod goes down hard and my drag gets pulled out we got a nice one so I grab the rod and as I start to bring it in I'm very saddened as I can tell skate on at least it was an adventure filled day with a variety of fish but sadly no hali for us.
As someone who has never caught either a skate or a halibut, could you please tell me what the difference in feel is? I have definitely caught my share of doggies unfortunately.

When you have a hali on your line it will generally stay streight up and down as it fights. If you are unlucky enough to get a skate at first it will seem to pull streight up and down but once the skate comes off the bottom the line will start to go on an angle away from the boat and if its wings are curled it can be a hard pull in.

When you have a hali on your line it will generally stay streight up and down as it fights. If you are unlucky enough to get a skate at first it will seem to pull streight up and down but once the skate comes off the bottom the line will start to go on an angle away from the boat and if its wings are curled it can be a hard pull in.

I usually get a good “ feel” when something sizable takes the bait and if it feels or looks like it could be a skate I hand the rod off to my buddy and say “ you have not got a Hali for a while, take this one “

it’s like trying to crank up a 4x8 sheet of 1” plywood

What makes a large skate hard to bring to the surface is their mouth is located about a foot from their nose, under the belly side, so it comes up like a plainer.
Some say the wings are good eating. I have never brought one home. Happy to release them usually no worse for wear.

They are delicious but the odd texture isn't to everyone's liking.

I have eaten them and it is a mild flavored white meat fish. It is however a very soft fleshed fish (a little like sole but not as good) and what would be lots of bones in the wings in other species are actually bone like cartilage, so it is a little different eating them, but worth a try to see if you like it. You do have to skin those wings out and cut it up and some are rather large. I would go with a smaller one if you want to try it in case you are not a big fan. I think they are related to sharks so the smaller, younger ones may also possibly be better for mercury levels. They are not the predators sharks are, so the mercury levels may be less.

Last edited:
Got out for a couple hours off the waterfront this morning. My wife got this 12lb (weighed) hatchery spring. Also got 2 hardshell crabs. Couple smaller ones released. Beautiful morning to be on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_142240.jpg
    IMG_20200308_142240.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 127
Got out for a couple hours off the waterfront this morning. My wife got this 12lb (weighed) hatchery spring. Also got 2 hardshell crabs. Couple smaller ones released. Beautiful morning to be on the water.
Oh man you shouldnt have weighed it then it would have been 16lbs AT LEAST!

Opening day was a bust for me on Constance but we picked up 2 Hali yesterday(Friday),26 & 32. Great tide/current.

Sure I saw you out there, A buddy and I where out in the smaller welded with the red top.

I went back out yesterday as well and it was slow. Just a few cod, but no doggies so at least it I was able to give the arms a break. Also got 2 smaller 4-5lb springs trolling a few laps of the flag pole before calling it a day.

Just a matter of being out in the correct spot at the correct time and it will all come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back