2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
was off discovery for a bit near the shipping lane for some coho, but couldn't jig one up they were marking but couldn't get them to take, trolled it near the tide line also. Was a beautiful day yesterday, few boats trying the same I think. Kids had a blast we got a whale show at the end too which really excited the kids me well.... I was hoping for a fish LOL. All in though it was all good, kids smiled, sun was out, boat was running smooth as silk and we had fun.

Out today in the fog South of Discovery. Got chased off the shipping lane by a horn blasting freighter. Guess he picked me up on radar last minute. No biggy to me as I was half ready for it with the motor running. Went back out once the fog burnt off. Seems to be lots of fish in the 70-80' depth. I didn't have trolling gear, just my jigging gear and fly rod. Only caught bottom fish and a good haul of crabs. Got buzzed by the DFO plane twice.

Anyone lose a trap. I assume prawn. with ~16" black ball float and a white bumper? No phone number. The floats both have some water in them and I suspect they will sink in time.

Got out this past Thursday with my 12 yr old grandson. Fished from 6 to 10am and only doggies for us. He's eager to catch his first Hali as his younger brother got his first a couple of weeks ago. They are being transferred to the US in July (military family) and he wants one before he leaves. Looking to get out again in the next few days.
Saw a boat back at the dock with a couple of chickens.
Well, he finally got his Hali. Took us 4 trips but picked one up yesterday out on the mud flats. 24lbs so he was quite happy. We were down to our last piece of bait.

Nice work newf. I was watching those winds and decided against it and had too much happening anyways. Picked up 3 keeper crab a trap today after a long soak at 130 feet...too deep for my liking but with an awesome boat partner you can't complain.

Keep us posted on those Coho...my son is due for any fish and I need to get the down riggers back on the boat!

Nice work newf. I was watching those winds and decided against it and had too much happening anyways. Picked up 3 keeper crab a trap today after a long soak at 130 feet...too deep for my liking but with an awesome boat partner you can't complain.

Keep us posted on those Coho...my son is due for any fish and I need to get the down riggers back on the boat!

I haven't tried for any salmon yet. Every good weather day I get I go for hali with one of my 3 grandkids that live here on the island. I only take them out one at a time and they all wanted a halibut before they move to Colorado Springs near the end of this month. The two boys, 10 and 12yrs have one now so the 11yr old girls turn next. She caught a couple of small salmon in the fall of last year but wants her hali before she goes.
001.jpeg 002.jpeg 003.jpeg

This little one, my youngest grandkid, lives in Vancouver and I had her out this past Sunday for her first time. All she wants to do is steer the boat. Putted around Pedder Bay for a couple of hours while the crab pots soaked. She was pretty excited to see crabs come aboard.

004.jpeg

It’s great to see the pics of your grandkids! My daughter is a nurse in Prince George, so they’ve decided it’s too risky to bring the family here for their annual summer with old nana & grumpa. When they’re here, we spend almost as much time on the boat as on land. Gonna miss it, big time, this year.
I’ll just have to enjoy the vicarious experience with yours.

Coho don't usually show up in Oak bay area until fall.
(although they are early this year in other area's)
when they do, they are usually further out on the 2nd and 3rd tide lines

Out today in the fog South of Discovery. Got chased off the shipping lane by a horn blasting freighter. Guess he picked me up on radar last minute. No biggy to me as I was half ready for it with the motor running. Went back out once the fog burnt off. Seems to be lots of fish in the 70-80' depth. I didn't have trolling gear, just my jigging gear and fly rod. Only caught bottom fish and a good haul of crabs. Got buzzed by the DFO plane twice.

Anyone lose a trap. I assume prawn. with ~16" black ball float and a white bumper? No phone number. The floats both have some water in them and I suspect they will sink in time.
The ShipFinder app on the phone is real handy for tracking commercial traffic and their AIS in the fog

Coho don't usually show up in Oak bay area until fall.
(although they are early this year in other area's)
when they do, they are usually further out on the 2nd and 3rd tide lines
Thanks -- saves me floating around for hours with no hope. Waterfront working better, do you think, or is it hopeless anywhere this side of Sooke?

On the flats off of Williams Head early Friday morning with the Brother in law. He got one about 20lbs and I must have pulled up 2 dozen doggies. Nice morning with a few boats out. A few Hali's at the cleaning station at Pedder Bay and one of the workers there said that he had seen a 1/2 dozen or more come in. Kept our limit of crab and tossed 3 or 4 more legals plus lots of females.

In the gap early morning. So very quick action before went Ling and halibut fishing. Released 1 12 lber, 1 10lber and 1 over 20. was very fishy this morning. No love on the ling or hailbut.

Got out this aft to drop the crab and prawn trapS on the incoming tide. We then headed out to Constance to look for coho and not even a bite or even much showing up on the sounder. 2 prawn traps in the 2 hr soak got a total of 15 prawns & the crab trap only had 2 small red rocks. Side note on Mon went to Bechy Head 8am-1pm had so many hookups I lost count. Mix of springs with biggest 12 lb and wild & hatch Coho were doubled up 7 times. Crazy from one day to the next only a few miles apart.

So many boats heading out of Esq there has to be a report of some kind. I’m hoping to not having to drive to sooke to catch a fish.

Was hoping to find some coho a little closer to home but nothing for me. Lots of mark's on the sounder 50 to 90 ft. Only caught rockfish. Crabbing wasn't good for me either. Perhaps the bait? I usually use Turkey drum sticks or necks and do great. Today salmon heads and just a pile of females and rock crabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back