2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
In for sure. I'd like to have a tin boat fishing derby in August. Ten mile point to Albert head. 15 foot max open aluminum boats. Would be fun.
The Clover Point Anglers' Association has their "tin boat" salmon
derby at that time. Unfortunately, it's for members only and boats cannot be over 12 feet in length!

Got out this morning from about 8-1. Quite a few boats out and super calm. Albeit chilly out of gate, it warmed up nicely.

Did the sax to Macaulay tac but nothing doing so we headed for deeper water and the ledge. On the way over I got into one just undersized at 155 on the rigger. No sooner did we throw that one back and my buddies line went off. Nice 7pounder at 162 on the rigger right in front of Brotchie. From that point on, I was merely the guide watching my buddy miss 2 and pull in 2 more. One about 3 pounds and a shaker. For my efforts though I was awarded a monster... fry! About 12cm o_O

All our fish were caught more or less between brotchie and the flag pole at between the 150 and 160 contours.

Not huge fish by any means but nice to see lots of boats out there enjoying a beauty day.

Did I mention I upgraded my tub? :D

090FB5A2-5EC7-462D-BECC-F9BAC911508F.jpeg

Went out today to enjoy the calm seas and sunshine. Fished the flats but only caught a little one and missed one really good strike. Saw at least one net worthy salmon taken. In ~75' of water. Crabbing was again awesome. Kept 4 hard shelled jumbos and released two more limits for another day.

Got out this morning from about 8-1. Quite a few boats out and super calm. Albeit chilly out of gate, it warmed up nicely.

Did the sax to Macaulay tac but nothing doing so we headed for deeper water and the ledge. On the way over I got into one just undersized at 155 on the rigger. No sooner did we throw that one back and my buddies line went off. Nice 7pounder at 162 on the rigger right in front of Brotchie. From that point on, I was merely the guide watching my buddy miss 2 and pull in 2 more. One about 3 pounds and a shaker. For my efforts though I was awarded a monster... fry! About 12cm o_O

All our fish were caught more or less between brotchie and the flag pole at between the 150 and 160 contours.

Not huge fish by any means but nice to see lots of boats out there enjoying a beauty day.

Did I mention I upgraded my tub? :D

View attachment 50712
Some nice eats there Irish....I hope to get into a couple similar or nicer tomorrow but going out of Becher so will report back in Sooke thread. Weather looks enjoyable finally o'er next couple/few days :)

Surely there’s a few who got out this long weekend...there were a good number in the Esquimalt Angler’s lot this morning.
I jetted out to Broachie and hit into a 7-8lber at 140’ on a spoon. They’re still feeding on herring and seem ready to try anything that looks like one.
Also remembered to drop the hatchery head in the recovery depot!
Gorgeous February day!

Seemed pretty slow off Oak Bay flats. Foe me anyways. I only passed over a couple of bait clouds and landed one slightly undersize, which was bleeding, but still had to go back. Crabbing was slow, probably due to currents and kelp rafts moving stuff around.

Seemed pretty slow off Oak Bay flats. Foe me anyways. I only passed over a couple of bait clouds and landed one slightly undersize, which was bleeding, but still had to go back. Crabbing was slow, probably due to currents and kelp rafts moving stuff around.

Crabbing usually not so good on a big ebb tide.
yesterday was such.

Got out with Habberdasher in his Arima today. Launched at Cattle Point around 10:15. Dropped 4 traps and headed for Clover Point. Stiff north wind blowing over a light flood creating some chop. Dropped the gear and trolled east towards the freighters anchored of the lagoon. Got one fish near Brotchie which was legal but i released it unharmed. Got to the freighters and Tom got into a 5 lb spring which he kept as it was his first fish on his license. Wind dropped off and we headed back to Oak Bay to pull traps. We ended up with 4 crabs. All in all a great day on the water. Thanks Tom.

Went out yesterday around 9:00 am for the tide change looking for winters. Fishing was not bad for this time of year for Hatchery Chinook in the 4 to 7lb range and we kept a couple of nicer clipped ones. Skinny Gees and plastic both worked and tried to stay within about 25 feet of the bottom to just off the bottom. Started at Albert with a north wind which switched to an east/south east wind and it was rather bumpy, especially in the tide rips. Ironically after posting on the sea sick thread I actually started to get a little bit of it and reached into the bag of tricks and took a liquid gravol capsule which kept it from getting worse and it went away in about an hour. Hit a couple off Albert but it seemed slow so we headed overt to fish the Brotchie to the flagpole run where the fishing was better.

While we were over on the Albert side before we packed up we noticed a large somewhat unusual boat coming slowly from the east towards our general direction . A displacement hull painted dark blueish and with a lot of orange on the sides and some large white letters which I could not read at the distance and what I think looked like could have been a large drum on the back deck like what you would see on a Commie net boat. I was thinking it look like a Govt. Boat of some type but not sure. It slowly went in toward Esquimalt Harbour and then when we went up on plane to go over to Broachie it kicked in the after burners and it was fast, very fast for what look like a displacement hull or semi displacement hull and came across and went into Victoria Harbour. One can only imagine what kind of fuel burn it was doing at that point. It was not close to us at all but put up a huge series of wake waves which caught up to us when it was already well into Vic harbour and we ended up riding them out by staying on the back side of one in our little 16 footer, not wanting to go into the short trough between the waves. I am curious, - anyone know what this boat is? By comparison we later had a large Al boat (30 feet or so) go by us on fast plane and it made what seemed like about a tenth of the wake the orange monster did and was much closer to us.

Last edited:
While we were over on the Albert side before we packed up we noticed a large somewhat unusual boat coming from the east towards our general direction . A displacement hull painted dark blueish and with a lot of orange on the sides and some large white letters which I could not read at the distance and what I think looked like could have been a large drum on the back deck like what you would see on a Commie net boat. I was thinking it look like a Govt. Boat of some type but not sure. It slowly went in toward Esquimalt Harbour and then when we went up on plane to go over to Broachie it kicked in the after burners and it was fast, very fast for what look like a displacement hull or semi displacement hull and came across and went into Victoria Harbour. One can only imagine what kind of fuel burn it was doing at that point. It was not close to us at all but put up a huge series of wake waves which caught up to us when it was already well into Vic harbour and we ended up riding them out by staying on the back side of one in our little 16 footer, not wanting to go into the short trough between the waves. I am curious, - anyone know what this boat is? By comparison we later had a large Al boat (30 feet or so) go by us much closer on fast plane and it made what seemed like about a tenth of the wake the orange monster did and was much closer to us.

this the boat? I’ve seen it out practicing for a spill out at Constance. Some tricky waters at times...the day I saw them though it was a sheet of glass over one of the lightest slack current changes.
3735F535-0141-4832-B8C6-CADD05739896.png

Fished from 8 until 1pm today. First day on the water in several weeks and it was nice to see a few boats out. Released one at the boat, lost one and kept a couple in the 5lb range. All near the bottom on spools. Caught one off of Brotchie and the other 3 in the anchored freighter area on my way to Albert Head. Was stopped by the fisheries as I was pulling out of the parking lot. He asked if I had caught anything and if I had recorded it. No checks or anything to confirm,,,must be my honest looking face. He also reminded me of the slot size starting on Mar/01 and off he went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back