2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be completely wrong but don't you use live bait for mooching?? Is there more then 1 technique?
You can mooch with cut plug Herring slowly lowering & raising the plugs at the side of the boat and some people call slow trolling with cut plug taking the motor in/out of gear 'power mooching'.

May be kind of a dumb question, but how do you know which tides are going to cause nasty currents? I'm assuming big shifts (high tidal coefficient), but what counts as big enough to cause strong currents? I was out last weekend and we fished through what I thought was going to be slack tide (according to this: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/disc/2020-05-08) but it was chunky out there. We were just trying to jig for rockfish off Lewis Reef, but the currents were playing hell with us. What am I missing?

You'll need to learn how the slack currents differ temporally from the predicted low and high tides for each spot you fish. Plus on bigger tides the slack could only last a few minutes in high current areas.
Or get in your boat and go jigging and adjust to the conditions. Find your spot and zoom in on your gps and see how fast you are flying over the reef. Use heavier jigs if it's ripping. Start on top of a reef and drift down the slope unless you enjoy being snagged up.

Out yesterday for what was a very short drift for Hali with my kids on the mud flats. 30lb inhaled a cut plug herring within 45min. No glow, no scent just a cut plug off the spreader bar.

Besides Trotac a good place for bait is at the wholesale club in Esquimalt. It is food grade so the bait looks fresh when it thaws out. Still a bit bloody and no rotten belly; perfect for cut plug in my opinion.

B8B38287-23FE-4C13-81F0-DB60C2EF763D.jpeg
3AC04402-3A54-4218-86E6-E94B54DC55A7.jpeg

Good to see a report of fish being caught! It is understandable how these report threads take off in a different direction when someone asks a perfectly legitimate fishing related question. Please keep in mind that other members come to the report threads to see what, if anything, is happening in their area in the way of fishing activity. Those great questions end up filling up the report threads with equally great answers, but it would be best if they had a thread of their own in another section of the forum.

Thanks!

Out Friday am. Set the crab then out to 250ft off Albert and realized I left my prawn bait at home *^*#,dropped the prawn trap with some pork bones and a couple turkey necks and continued to swear about it as I was looking forward to some prawns. Drift jigged out there until about 1pm but still can’t get that Hali but to my surprise had 60 jumbo prawns in the trap. Crab trap had a couple keepers. What a calm warm day with light currents, almost perfect.

Headed out Saturday to drop the crab traps and moore the boat for fishing the rest of the weekend and was lured into fishing for Hali after the calm of Esquimalt anglers. Had one dog off Albert head before pulling out just after noon. Too rough for the old and young, but they did not complain. Just need a Hali on the boat to keep them hooked. New trailer next week and then it may be bamfield/ukee fishing for me if I can turn the tide on Hali luck. Any new spots by PM would be greatly appreciated, my boarder bank has fizzled and I'm not convinced north of Discovery where we got the derby winner last year was anything more than pure luck.

Trying for a West Coast Hat trick today...wish us luck.

Found an anchor setup east of Chatum. I assume the owner knows it is there. Had a Humpback blow 50 feet behind me. Scared the crap out of me. All I caught were several small lings and rockfish. Did have a couple of heavy hits but they didn't stick.

Headed out Saturday to drop the crab traps and moore the boat for fishing the rest of the weekend and was lured into fishing for Hali after the calm of Esquimalt anglers. Had one dog off Albert head before pulling out just after noon. Too rough for the old and young, but they did not complain. Just need a Hali on the boat to keep them hooked. New trailer next week and then it may be bamfield/ukee fishing for me if I can turn the tide on Hali luck. Any new spots by PM would be greatly appreciated, my boarder bank has fizzled and I'm not convinced north of Discovery where we got the derby winner last year was anything more than pure luck.

Trying for a West Coast Hat trick today...wish us luck.

I tried for the seafood trifeca today... got 2 lbs of prawns off Albert Head on my first ever prawn attempt in Juan de Fuca, couple dungeness, but alas no habibut to top it off. @kaelc where did you get the new trailer? considering a new one myself for 22 cdory not sure the best place to get one.

We got two nice halibut in the 30 to 40 pound range yesterday off Constance.
The south west side in 300’ of water. Both on herring.
There were no boats on top of us, but at least 30 to the west and a couple to the east that we could see on a similar line.
The really unusual thing is there are very few dog fish compared to other years at this time!
It seems to me the halibut came in a little late, there have been more herring around then in the last few years and we have seen more often herring in the bellies.
I know guys are getting halibut for weeks now but only a few reporting.(sorry, I plead guilty on that one)
For what it's worth that's my report and observations.

Straight out To 250, ft stay out of the shipping lanes, have min 10lbs weight, 300ft sinkable rope & biggest float you have.Do that on the incoming flood on days with less than 2knots. If anything it will push your trap closer to Vic.
I had 1 prawn one day but 60 on another day with 2 hr soaks.

Thanks O.

Got 6 prawns yesterday. 150 today!!!

And a couple of hali. 20 & 25lbs

JL

Well sounds like I’m gettin some prawn heads lol. We’re they jumbo ones? Glad to hear my info actually may of helped someone. Good job getting 2 Hali’s, another buddy got 2 today as well so hoping my day will come.

Well sounds like I’m gettin some prawn heads lol. We’re they jumbo ones? Glad to hear my info actually may of helped someone. Good job getting 2 Hali’s, another buddy got 2 today as well so hoping my day will come.

It was a mixed bag for prawn sizes. All looked good to me.

I fished for the hali in the mud next to my prawn traps. The hali were still on the prawns.
I was in 250’ and used herring. Maybe 10 dogs.

Constance is still good for C&R action up to 15lbs with the salmon munching on needles.

Salmon was Sunday and the hali was Monday.

JL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back