2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2020 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by SFBC, Jan 1, 2020.

1. 777

777 Member

Yeah it was Friday. Between say 10 am and 5 pm.

2. fishinforever

fishinforever Active Member

Did you check the tides?

3. 777

777 Member

They were moving...I know. 2 knots max I think. I added a couple 2 lb. Balls to each, but I haven't dealt with tides and prawn traps before. Anyways, followed the tide path Murray's tables had, binos for hours. there's just so much water. Saw a couple big metal barges move over the area, but I assume it's my operator error.

4. 2xeagle16

2xeagle16 Active Member

I always worry about the big ships going in and out of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbour – it’s just not worth the risk of having a ship run over you’re trap floats. Prawning has never been that productive for me.

silver spring likes this.
  5. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

Tides were brutal out near Discovery. Stronger than I expected. I lost a trap out there a few months ago. If I do it again I will use a small anchor.

6. 777

777 Member

Yeah totally. We tried anchoring near zero rock and couldn't get our gear down,

7. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

I'm surprised anyone would try anchoring in these massive currents.

8. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Active Member

i might be wrong but the tides last week were not for hali s !!!! maybe just the turn if you are really experienced !! but seemed way too hot !!!! let me know please

9. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

Small anchor on the trap. Not the boat. Suicide trying to anchor a boat in these tides.

Slabbedout, Kildonan and wolf like this.
  10. ryanb

ryanb Well-Known Member

Good tides for anchoring for Hali are good tides for dropping prawn traps in high current areas like everywhere off Victoria...and vice versa.

11. Jacob's Ladder

Jacob's Ladder Active Member

Where is there good prawning
    near the waterfront?
    Depth?
    Type of bottom. Eg mud, sand, rock etc?

Thanks. JL

12. Original

Original Well-Known Member

Straight out To 250, ft stay out of the shipping lanes, have min 10lbs weight, 300ft sinkable rope & biggest float you have.Do that on the incoming flood on days with less than 2knots. If anything it will push your trap closer to Vic.
    I had 1 prawn one day but 60 on another day with 2 hr soaks.

Attached Files:

RTDub, Jacob's Ladder and Discus like this.
  13. Jacob's Ladder

Rodger that. thanks for the info.

14. Original

Original Well-Known Member

Of course you realize I now get 10% of the plunder

Totally unexpected likes this.
  15. Jacob's Ladder

I will give you 50% of my “plunder”. I will keep the tails and you can have the heads.o_O

16. eroyd

eroyd Well-Known Member

Oak Bay was kind of slow for jigging today. Just one Spring, a few rockfsh and two scallops. Good news is that someone has fastened some old tires to those nasty exposed bolts at the Cattle point ramp.

17. fishinforever

fishinforever Active Member

Nice! Was thinking about oak bay this morning, should be game on. Will be back in the marina after May long

18. Rayvon

Rayvon Well-Known Member

Picked up a 45 Lb.-120 cm. halibut today,back at dock by 8:30.Missed the rain too.

RTDub, Tydey, kaelc and 13 others like this.
  19. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

I noticed that the deepest / last tire was installed with white letters up versus black side up for the others so you can tell which tire is the last one. Seems to me like someone was thinking. Guess we'll soon see how visible the white letters remain after a some marine growth.

RTDub likes this.
  20. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a bit different but very interesting (I think): let's see who of you is a fish whisperer and has the 6th sense: what is this and guess from where?

1.jpg