2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi not expecting to steal anyone’s secret spots just wondering how the crabbing is off the waterfront . Now that Sidney has closed the ramp I thought that I would try off Victoria. I’m breaking in a new kicker, so I can have to go from Fleming Beach ramp to put hours on the new motor. Is there any decent spots near there that I could try.

You will getem near the West side of the inner harbor entrance for sure.
No more then 40' of water.
tried and proven
You could go over off the spit. Deeper water but now that the commercial guys have cut back there are more crabs around.

Hi not expecting to steal anyone’s secret spots just wondering how the crabbing is off the waterfront . Now that Sidney has closed the ramp I thought that I would try off Victoria. I’m breaking in a new kicker, so I can have to go from Fleming Beach ramp to put hours on the new motor. Is there any decent spots near there that I could try.

You got a couple of good spots to fish crabs.
How did you do??
Or have you found a new secret spot?

Got out yesterday dispite reports! In 450' I got a dbl header...on the same line! 1 dog and 1 smaller hali about 24" to my amazement! Felt like something much bigger and was quite surprised! Hummed and hawed, but released both!
Took a couple more hrs and picked up a 96 cm and a 105 cm 40 min later! Little wind, a bit of rain and a great day!
Been awhile since my last hali, so this only cost me about $100 p/lb, lol

Got out yesterday dispite reports! In 450' I got a dbl header...on the same line! 1 dog and 1 smaller hali about 24" to my amazement! Felt like something much bigger and was quite surprised! Hummed and hawed, but released both!
Took a couple more hrs and picked up a 96 cm and a 105 cm 40 min later! Little wind, a bit of rain and a great day!
Been awhile since my last hali, so this only cost me about $100 p/lb, lol
Hell yeah!

Man it seems like the Halibut are really deep again this year. Is that what everyone else is finding? By deep I mean starting at 300’ and below.

What a day! Almost aborted since the wind was a little heavier than expected, but set of in my 12 foot tinner anyways in search of the the elusive big Lingcod. Set the crab traps then jigged near the golf links only catching a few small lings and rock fish. Joined a few other boats out on Brodie and on my first pass boom, turned out to be a 10lb chinook. A few undersize lings and rockfish later, another spring the same as the last one.

While retrieving another smaller fish the line went heavy. I worked it up to the surface and it was the classic bigger ling hitching a ride. Got my net under both. The bigger was about 3" over legal, but I let him go hoping for something bigger.

Tried another spot just south of the chain Islands. About 70-90 feet of water. Bigger rock fish. Put a big lead head on and drifted over the rock bottom. Boom! Bottom? Nope. Worked it up to the surface, must be the mother of all lings I thought. . . . . Holy crap! A Hali. Biggest I've ever seen. Obviously too big. My net was a joke, as was my gaff. No way it was coming on board. The fish was about a foot longer than my boat wide. Best guess 65-70". I really fealt a little helpless. I just wanted my lure back. As it was while I was dicking around with my pliers a good head shake snapped the 30# leader.

Crabbing ok. Got my 4 but the commercial string is back. Lots of females.
IMG_20200503_183333.jpg

Last edited:
What a day! Almost aborted since the wind was a little heavier than expected, but set of in my 12 foot tinner anyways in search of the elusive bi Lingcod. Set the crab traps then jigged near the golf links only catching a few small lings and rock fish. Joined a few other boats out on Brodie and on my first pass boom, turned out to be a 10lb chinook. A few undersize lings and rockfish later, another spring the same as the last one.

While retrieving another smaller fish the line went heavy. I worked it up to the surface and it was the classic bigger ling hitching a ride. Got my net under both. The bigger was about 3" over legal, but I let him go hoping for something bigger.

Tried another spot just south of the chain Islands. About 70-90 feet of water. Bigger rock fish. Put a big lead head on and drifted over the rock bottom. Boom! Bottom? Nope. Worked it up to the surface, must be the mother of all lings I thought. . . . . Holy crap! A Hali. Biggest I've ever seen. Obviously too big. My net was a joke, as was my gaff. No way it was coming on board. The fish was about a foot longer than my boat wide. Best guess 65-70". I really fealt a little helpless. I just wanted my lure back. As it was while I was dicking around with my pliers a good head shake snapped the 30# leader.

Crabbing ok. Got my 4 but the commercial string is back. Lots of females.
Sounds like a good day....so much for all the hali being deep! Lol, sorry about your lure!

Any idea what a fish like that would weigh? I've only caught a couple of halibut before and they were around 40#. This one scared me! That lure is about 10" long.

Any idea what a fish like that would weigh? I've only caught a couple of halibut before and they were around 40#. This one scared me! That lure is about 10" long.

Attachments

• BB5CFBE6-6B4A-404E-BFE4-DB7F4896B7AB.png
    BB5CFBE6-6B4A-404E-BFE4-DB7F4896B7AB.png
    451.2 KB · Views: 163

One chart that I looked at showed the weight for 65" to 70" to range from 140 to 170 lbs. A few years back I had one 50" and it weighed 65lbs but I know the weight jumps quite a bit as the length goes up. That's quite a catch.

Check out the chart. It says 140-180 lbs based on your guesstimate! Nice fish!

4hrs on anchor at 330' and nada for me this weekend
I’ve tried out in Haro Straight where we used to do pretty well between 160 and 180 but drew blanks. Have since been trying in the 250-350 range and still no joy. Seems though those that are catching are fishing deep, so either I got the wrong depth or the fish just aren’t here.

It looks like the hali have arrived. I had a bite that didnt stick yesterday, but of the last few boats into pedder yesterday, 2 of the 3 of us had 30-40 lb halibut. Im glad i have today off. Im going to try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back