2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out at South Bowen. Dropped lines about 20 mins ago at Cowan. Hit a wild coho at 55 ft. On white hootch. Trolling towards RC now.
Had a couple more that didn’t stick at RC. Picked up and ran to Atkinson. Trolled to Pink Apartment without a touch until we hit a hatchery coho buzzer beater.

Took the folks and gal out for quick fish in harbour before hosting them for dinner. Started at pink apts around 545pm and trolled towards fisheries. Marked lots of bait and some nice arcs. 1 hit, 1 hatch ho on the 602 hooch. Old man saw it pop off and played it from start to finish, good fun. Was running that and an ap sandlance at 41 & 47’. First time out targeting the silver bullets so was nice to get one in short order. Called it at 645 to get back for a nice meal. Unfortunately already had a couple steaks from Pete’s Meat on Arbutus on deck but the folks will enjoy the fresh fish tomorrow. Apologies for the gram caption.

Attachments

• 7C2D44A9-7EDB-4034-A7D7-3CDEA8B5DFE8.png
    7C2D44A9-7EDB-4034-A7D7-3CDEA8B5DFE8.png
    1 MB · Views: 116
Gents, I’m looking for some info. Gonna be in North Van Sept long weekend and was wondering where the best place to launch a boat would be? Going to a small wedding and since I can’t stand the bride and groom I’ve convinced the wife I’m bringing my boat. I’ve always been a Nootka guy so I’m not very familiar with the Van waters. I see there’s a few launches at the mouth of the Fraser so I’m thinking that the typical launch area. I’m guessing these launches in the river would be fresh water and some where just outside of the main arm it would switch to salt water.

Is anyone aware of any good Chinook fishing this time of year in upper Howe Sound?
I did a 2 day scouting trip up howe sound this week. Started at McNabb creek and trolled shoreline all the way to squamish . Camped on the shore first night and hung around squamish mouth next day. Lots of bait and kept hooking up with very small juvenile Chinook. I mean 6-8 ins. Tells me there is a very healthy population. Squamish bay and along the wall face produced alot of hits and did land one wild coho. Saw another boat land a fish as well. There is coho around more so than Chinook. But am sure large Chinook are around just not as many. Its a viable fishery but you need to put in the time to determine the travel patterns and staging areas. Good luck

Gents, I’m looking for some info. Gonna be in North Van Sept long weekend and was wondering where the best place to launch a boat would be?
If you are staying in N Van, Sewells marina at Horseshoe Bay has launching, or Sunset Marina or Lions Bay Marina up Howe Sound. A lot closer to where these fishing posts are coming from than where you were looking.

Gents, I’m looking for some info. Gonna be in North Van Sept long weekend and was wondering where the best place to launch a boat would be? Going to a small wedding and since I can’t stand the bride and groom I’ve convinced the wife I’m bringing my boat. I’ve always been a Nootka guy so I’m not very familiar with the Van waters. I see there’s a few launches at the mouth of the Fraser so I’m thinking that the typical launch area. I’m guessing these launches in the river would be fresh water and some where just outside of the main arm it would switch to salt water.

Vanier park is good would be my first choice. Puts you right near the fishing grounds. You could try sunset off the sea to sky hwy otherwise cates park in deep cove personally never used it. These are a little further from the fishing areas unless youre fishing near sunset aka hole in the wall.

I did a 2 day scouting trip up howe sound this week. Started at McNabb creek and trolled shoreline all the way to squamish . Camped on the shore first night and hung around squamish mouth next day. Lots of bait and kept hooking up with very small juvenile Chinook. I mean 6-8 ins. Tells me there is a very healthy population. Squamish bay and along the wall face produced alot of hits and did land one wild coho. Saw another boat land a fish as well. There is coho around more so than Chinook. But am sure large Chinook are around just not as many. Its a viable fishery but you need to put in the time to determine the travel patterns and staging areas. Good luck

Great report, Gator. Thanks. And good on you for scouting that area out. Wish my scouting of Gower Point had been as encouraging. I didnt find much up there at all, but would be happy to be contradicted by others!

Vanier park is good would be my first choice. Puts you right near the fishing grounds. You could try sunset off the sea to sky hwy otherwise cates park in deep cove personally never used it. These are a little further from the fishing areas unless youre fishing near sunset aka hole in the wall.
Sunset only has 6 parking spots as of last night. Pretty sure they will fill up quickly today. Suggest calling Sue before you head there

Fished the north shore today. Absolutely nothing. Slowest day I've had in a long time. Did not see anyone even playing a fish. Way she goes sometimes. Still better than working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back