2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I read the regs on the "closure".
It contradicts itself. Why would dfo bother writing you can keep a Chinook 80 cm in area 29 3 to 29 5. Then say reference the map and say no fishing for Chinook and blank out the entire area they said you can keep one in. It makes absolutely no sense? Is this a mistake? Or just plain incompetence?

Sorry if this is a deviation from the salmon posts... but wanted to share that bottom fishing for ling cods and rockfish/seabass (for those who enjoy catching them) has been fantastic near Gabriola. It's too bad we can only keep one per person. Occasionally, while jigging for lings, I end up catching a chinook on herring jig.

By the way, has anyone been prawning in Howe Sound lately, and if so, how has it been? Are the commercial guys finished now? Many thanks for the numerous reports which have been very helpful.

Ok so I read the regs on the "closure".
It contradicts itself. Why would dfo bother writing you can keep a Chinook 80 cm in area 29 3 to 29 5. Then say reference the map and say no fishing for Chinook and blank out the entire area they said you can keep one in. It makes absolutely no sense? Is this a mistake? Or just plain incompetence?
The FN that came out yesterday says it’s open for 1, 80 or under, in areas 29-3 to 29-5 August 1 which is consistent with what it says on the map. The map was last updated on the 27th. Is this new?

Last edited:
Was at South Bowen yesterday afternoon. Good action at 35 feet down with Gold Nugget Skinny G - good on sunny days. Unfortunately all wild Cohos. All of a sudden while at CRC, had some orcas approach so I quickly cut the engine and just floated. Note to all others motoring over to watch ... don't do it. Check the rules.

Tried same depth at West Van as well but no luck. For some reason, I've not ever had a bite in West Van. Wondering how deep of water most people catch there? I tried areas with around 60 to 100 feet of depth.

Was at South Bowen yesterday afternoon. Good action at 35 feet down with Gold Nugget Skinny G - good on sunny days. Unfortunately all wild Cohos. All of a sudden while at CRC, had some orcas approach so I quickly cut the engine and just floated. Note to all others motoring over to watch ... don't do it. Check the rules.

Tried same depth at West Van as well but no luck. For some reason, I've not ever had a bite in West Van. Wondering how deep of water most people catch there? I tried areas with around 60 to 100 feet of depth.
ive caught coho at 20-40 feet around west van in past years

Sorry if this is a deviation from the salmon posts... but wanted to share that bottom fishing for ling cods and rockfish/seabass (for those who enjoy catching them) has been fantastic near Gabriola. It's too bad we can only keep one per person. Occasionally, while jigging for lings, I end up catching a chinook on herring jig.

By the way, has anyone been prawning in Howe Sound lately, and if so, how has it been? Are the commercial guys finished now? Many thanks for the numerous reports which have been very helpful.
Prawning in HS has been poor... but not 0 like most years at this time. We always used to start prawning again late August. We are getting ~12 per two trap set per day... ‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back