2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! That's sending a message!! I guess DFO is just a little pissed. I've never heard of such a high price to pay. Hopefully he can fight the charge/ticket penalties.
Does he have recourse?

My brother-in-law called from Sechelt yesterday to tell me his neighbor got caught by DFO with a Chinook and they fined him $4,300, took his rods and downriggers, and gave him a 10yr ban on fishing and hunting in BC.

For a 100 dollar infraction I call bs. If that was the case they were upto a lot more then just retaining 1 Chinook,

I can think of some stuff but still can't get to 4300,

fishing in a closed area, retaining 1 chinook, fishing without a licence, failing to make down a chinook, using barbed hooks.

I also don't think they can give a 10 year ban that's something the courts would have to impose.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-137/page-13.html#docCont

upload_2020-7-9_13-9-9.png
upload_2020-7-9_13-9-44.png
upload_2020-7-9_13-10-38.png
upload_2020-7-9_13-12-17.pngupload_2020-7-9_13-15-17.png

Last edited:
Like any other story, there’s clearly more into this. If true, the guy has been into some serious poaching or maybe a repeat offender. Sometimes I think these bad apples are the ones that f@ck it up for all of us.
Anyhow, back to the reports. Anyone managed to pull a hatch coho in west van yet?

My brother-in-law called from Sechelt yesterday to tell me his neighbor got caught by DFO with a Chinook and they fined him $4,300, took his rods and downriggers, and gave him a 10yr ban on fishing and hunting in BC.

Sorry but don't think that is possible. They might be able to give him a fine, take the rods and downriggers but the ban seems like it would have to come from a court. But i could be wrong.

While this is a quick tangent, Is there a rule around fishing For coho in a non-Chinook retention area with a Chinook in the box that was caught In a legal area earlier that day? Would be really hard for the DFO to prove where the fish was caught, but just as hard to prove it yourself

While this is a quick tangent, Is there a rule around fishing For coho in a non-Chinook retention area with a Chinook in the box that was caught In a legal area earlier that day? Would be really hard for the DFO to prove where the fish was caught, but just as hard to prove it yourself
As far as I know, there’s no Chinook opening in the SoG until Aug 1st.

As far as I know, there’s no Chinook opening in the SoG until Aug 1st.

seen this posted on FB, hope its helps people

107101859_10158642285189430_1537750178690240742_n.jpg

We are digressing here in a report thread, but looking closely at the map, it would be difficult to enforce the Chinook non- retention reg in the southern SOG after Aug 1st. @Matthias is asking a good question.

In looking at that map, and if it’s hard to get to Thrasher, are there many trolling opportunities for Springs between Gibson’s and Sechelt? I’ve never tried up there. Worth the attempt?

Springs can be had at Gower point up to camp byng but you have to put your time in. I got one nice one in shallow at Gower last season. Then out mid straight past salmon rock. I primarily fish there for coho mid August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back