2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who were out today and went from Vancouver harbor over to bowen, how was the chop in the waters between west van and bowen Island? I was hoping to do some fishing up the west side of bowen or perhaps over to grace but I come out of vancouber harbor.
Would have been an easy cross today. SE wind generally doesn't blow it up as bad.

For those of you who were out today and went from Vancouver harbor over to bowen, how was the chop in the waters between west van and bowen Island? I was hoping to do some fishing up the west side of bowen or perhaps over to grace but I come out of vancouber harbor.

It wasn’t bad, bit annoying with the tide and wind going different directions. Made the chop a little short.

It wasn’t bad, bit annoying with the tide and wind going different directions. Made the chop a little short.

Thanks guys. Perhaps I will see if he can take some time away from work in next few days for us to get out. I was checking the conditions at halibut Bank and it was giving me readings of 0.6-0.8M for waves which didn't look good. Funny thing is I have no clue where halibut Bank but it seems like it's the closest marker to Vancouver harbor that actually gives wave heights. Can anyone let me know where exactly halibut Bank is? I've been out in the past where the harbor was calm but crossing over to bowen and specially that area between Bowen and west van can really blow up. I am trying to figure out how to best determine and read weather conditions to avoid nasty chop when crossing that body of water. Raincity mentioned if it's a SE or southerly wind it doesn't get too choppy in that area. Is that usually the rule for that area? Thanks

Last edited:

Thanks. I can see a yellow marker there and assume that may be where environment Canada is getting the wave height and weather info. That spot happens to be in 131ft of water so I would assume that waves are much much higher there than the 500-600ft depths in the waters between west van and bowen. .. OK.. Thanks guys. I will stop posting further as I know these posts are supposed to be for fishing reports. Sorry if I got off topic.

Hi guy new to fishing the chuck, I’m in a 16’ tinny just waiting for a nice calm day to get out there. Thanks for the add

They're definitely a cheaper version of what once was.

I have an older one and just bought a new one.

They were, supposedly, made of the same blanks as the sage rods.

I understand the company that made them was sold or shut down a couple years ago. They weren’t in stores for almost 2 years, then they re-emerged this summer.

Disappointed to hear they are now a POS.

Will have to compare the two to see if there is a difference to the eye.

Needless to say I'm not looking forward to the replacement I get in 6-8 weeks. The guy at Pacific Angler wasn't the least bit surprised. I'll cherish my old ones I guess.

Hmmm I have 2 of the titans from last summer. I keep tripping over the $600 or so bill, I'm sure hoping these go the distance as I really like them so far. See what's hiding at the boat show for deals, sure seem to be building up a deep rod supply!

Just acknowledged that they're different. He was biting his tongue a little I'd say

That's a crappy spot for the rod to snap, under the handle! How are you supposed to check there for premature failure? Xray vision! I'm going to pick up a pair of techniums and make sure in prepared, thanks burner account to keep the "wtfs this Visa bill all about" to a minimum.

They're definitely a cheaper version of what once was.

never seen a blank/rod snap in two places or did one get that upset and a foot went down on it ...
carbon does not like side impacts
the amount of guys i see laying/dropping a rod against the gunnels surprised it does not happen a lot more...
hence why i have a load of rod holders on my boats ...
if the same blank is breaking in more or less the same spot then its a defect in the cloth as when its being made on the mandrel..
a certain Amundson/Theron range of rods had issues breaking in the butt section...
other thing if your setting deep in the clip... drop the cannonball to release if it don't come out the clip and its tangled then striking gives you a parted line or a broken rod...
feel your pain Rain city ....

Rain city

I eel your pain Ive also blown up 6 trophy titans kept getting new ones, rod tips etc only to have it happen again and again stopped using them 2 yrs ago went to g loomis,never look back !!!

Tight lines Billydoo

Rain city

I eel your pain Ive also blown up 6 trophy titans kept getting new ones, rod tips etc only to have it happen again and again stopped using them 2 yrs ago went to g loomis,never look back !!!

Tight lines Billydoo
Man I've been doing more research and it sounds like this is pretty damn common. I'll be talking to Tonelli about a different rod to replace it. My old ones have the metal reel seats and like I said, no problems whatsoever.

This is why I use glass rods as much as possible in the boat. Always getting hit and dropped. the boat rods in my opinion take the most abuse. I have a Titan, but for steelheading. Fell on the rocks one cold day in the morning, last fish of the day broke the last foot and a half while trying to land it. you have to baby those rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back