2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask an unrelated question. I am just about to start prawning. What bait do you use? And where do you get the bait? Is it pallets for regular fish?
I got my prawn pellets from a place in Ladner ... sure that you can get it at those fishing places in Steveston as well ..

May I ask an unrelated question. I am just about to start prawning. What bait do you use? And where do you get the bait? Is it pallets for regular fish?
I got my prawn pellets from a place in Ladner ... sure that you can get it at those fishing places in Steveston as well .. just
I usually just take the head off and then I freeze them on tray individually and then put in zip lock bags after that
Free launch. Free parking for the day.
I left the trolling gear at home, but there’s a couple boats trolling right out front.
it’s glassy & sunny right now.
Hey Don you doing any crabbing out that way as well as prawns

I take the heads off immediately and pack them in seawater and freeze.
Not reports related but I also freeze in saltwater. Old yogurt containers work great. Be sure to leave water 1” below top because prawns will be coming through ice once frozen then I top up with another bit of water so they’re covered. They’re tricky buggers to vac seal but if done right it works great.

Anyone else heading out tomorrow? Haven’t been out in a while so looking forward to it. Will be bringing out the prawn and crab traps as well. Going to try the cap on the flood. Hopefully get a report in later in the day tomorrow.

I went to Pacific net and Twine and got my pellets there. I also got alot of useful information at the same time.

Anyone else heading out tomorrow? Haven’t been out in a while so looking forward to it. Will be bringing out the prawn and crab traps as well. Going to try the cap on the flood. Hopefully get a report in later in the day tomorrow.

Yep, I'm heading out, most likely start in Tunstall and into howe sound...good luck!!

Yep, I'm heading out, most likely start in Tunstall and into howe sound...good luck!!
Was out yesterday. 2 just unders to the boat at Waterfall.

Beautiful conditions at the waterfall 8 boats and flat calm. Few boats in Tunstall and I saw a few off the bell boy. Bit of a chop in the straits but no big deal. Lines are in, go AP spoons haha

Scratch that there's way more than 8 boats here...ive seen a couple unders so far. Looking good @CBsqrd

Last edited:
One tried to jump in the boat but he was sent back for one of you guys to bonk at a later date. 200', 6" Green AP spoon around the waterfall. Saw a few more turned back as well, didn't see any get bonked.

I saw some guys off the west side of Bowen and the harbor, be interested in heating how those areas performed. I had planned to check the freighters out but had to get back for the kids hockey practice.

Unreal day, cheers.

Attachments

• 20201128_111042_resized.jpg
    20201128_111042_resized.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201128_101253_resized.jpg
    20201128_101253_resized.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 20201128_115452_resized.jpg
    20201128_115452_resized.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 113
Free launch. Free parking for the day.
I left the trolling gear at home, but there’s a couple boats trolling right out front.
it’s glassy & sunny right now.
Hey Don how long have you been soaking them between pulls ? 3 hours ? if you are staying there PC are you leaving your pots out over night ? and how has the prawning been are you getting enough of them to keep you interested .
going to be headed up that way this week for a day and again the following week if the weather holds

Beauty day on the water. Got out late so stated local. Dropped crab traps and tried my luck at fisheries and pt Atkinson. Lost a new cannonball (always a Johnny **** off when that happens) and got no love for 3 hours of rod down time. 3 keeper crabs was a nice surprise though. Looking forward to reports from the Howe sound mafia

I love Vancouver!!!!!! Went to check and get a few things done on the boat mid morning. Get a phone call from a buddy from the marina at 11:00 telling me that he had just solo bagged a double header of two 7lbers in the harbour. Look at the clock - work backwards from when I told my wife I would be home - gives me one hour of fishing time. Good enough!!!! Zip out, lines down at 12:04 with the phone alarm set at 1:00 to remind me to stop. Trolling b/w 160-120 around the Cosco Shipping freighter my buddy told me to target - pass right in front of the bow, see some bait balls at bottom of 120' and the side with the Skinny G (Ohh wait, both sides are Skinny G's) goes off. After one head shake thought I was sealed. Nope. Landed a 13-1/2lb hatchery red - no reproductive organs visible to my untrained eyes. Just as I'm bonking the fish my 1:00pm alarm goes off while some dude in a tiny wooden sailing boat is drifting past me in the light wind and sunshine enjoying life while listening to opera turned up very high! Made it home on time on what turned out to be a really tough day to beat.

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 144
I love Vancouver!!!!!! Went to check and get a few things done on the boat mid morning. Get a phone call from a buddy from the marina at 11:00 telling me that he had just solo bagged a double header of two 7lbers in the harbour. Look at the clock - work backwards from when I told my wife I would be home - gives me one hour of fishing time. Good enough!!!! Zip out, lines down at 12:04 with the phone alarm set at 1:00 to remind me to stop. Trolling b/w 160-120 around the Cosco Shipping freighter my buddy told me to target - pass right in front of the bow, see some bait balls at bottom of 120' and the side with the Skinny G (Ohh wait, both sides are Skinny G's) goes off. After one head shake thought I was sealed. Nope. Landed a 13-1/2lb hatchery red - no reproductive organs visible to my untrained eyes. Just as I'm bonking the fish my 1:00pm alarm goes off while some dude in a tiny wooden sailing boat is drifting past me in the light wind and sunshine enjoying life while listening to opera turned up very high! Made it home on time on what turned out to be a really tough day to beat.
Pure awesomeness!

BEAUTY FISH

Well done Tinny!

Weather next week looks great for fishing. Hope to see some of you folks out on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back