2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year was actually fairly good nothing around QA but I got a few at t10 and later sandheads. This was september the one month we had. I started at thrasher rock in may and man were there fish there. If there are closures don't matter if you can land a beauty fish. April may are the best times to get out over there.

This year was actually fairly good nothing around QA but I got a few at t10 and later sandheads. This was september the one month we had. I started at thrasher rock in may and man were there fish there. If there are closures don't matter if you can land a beauty fish. April may are the best times to get out over there.
That's awesome that you had a nice time and found a few fish. I think you're missing the point though, or maybe you're just trying to stay positive about the state of our fishery. We got fu**ed plain and simple. Yes we can go find a few fish all season but I'm talking about limits in early April off the hump and Bowen. Then 20 and 30 fish days with limits in under an hour in August. Please don't try and compare that kind of fishing to going all the way to Thrasher for some catch and release. Sorry but that's not good enough for me. 2019, even with the limited closures, was 1000x better than 2020. Maybe 10000000x.

Last edited:
Gowler is actually Gower Point which is the point west for gibsons at the entrance to the straits.

Tunstall Bay is on Bowen facing Keats.

HITW is Hole in the Wall which is basically outside of the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. Scrape the wall along the rock face towards Lions Bay.

The waterfall is also on bowen facing Keats.

Grace is off Gambier from the small island across from Langdale and into the bay towards centre bay.

Curtis is Roger Curtis again off Bowen.

All, or most anyway, will be on your charts.

Given the choice I would start working Tunstall Bay, that covers a bunch of potentially productive water off Bowen.

If this not happening give Grace a shot as its nearby.

Where are you pushing off from? That makes a big difference due to weather, etc. Speaking of which we have some decent looking weather coming up this week...I'm done with the sand heads and cap but am keen to hit some of those spots noted above. Good luck!

Btw there was a map of the local hot spots on the board at one point but not sure where it went.
Thanks for sharing, really really appreciated :D. I leave from Reed Point Marina (Port Moody) or Mosquito creek in North Van. So Bowen works well for me.

Thanks.. This is great. Love being on this board. Cheers

We got ignored treated so insignificantly like we don't do any conservation. How can they expect us to buy boats or spend on tourism when there is no retention. They put more restrictions in place as a stop gap. Well that means they don't know what they're doing. If there are fish there we should be allowed to fish. I just think we need to somehow make our voice heard without being hateful. The number prove there are enough fish don't use us as a control method.

Thanks a LOT. Do you (or anyone here) know where I can get a map with the name of most fishing spots? I’ve only been fishing locally in the last 3 years and this was my first season venturing by myself, so just understanding where the usuals are (South Bowen, Hump, Wall, SH, T-10, BellBuly) . But most of the ones you mention, no clue.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers

here it is. I called it "the hump" but it shows all the areas referred to.

Attachments

• the hump.png
    the hump.png
    370.3 KB · Views: 224
That's awesome that you had a nice time and found a few fish. I think you're missing the point though, or maybe you're just trying to stay positive about the state of our fishery. We got fu**ed plain and simple. Yes we can go find a few fish all season but I'm talking about limits in early April off the hump and Bowen. Then 20 and 30 fish days with limits in under an hour in August. Please don't try and compare that kind of fishing to going all the way to Thrasher for some catch and release. Sorry but that's not good enough for me. 2019, even with the limited closures, was 1000x better than 2020. Maybe 10000000x.
Agree 100% , thank you RC !
And ....they screwed us further by not refunding us on our Liscense, even though they came out with the BULL **** in area 29 and earlier on other areas . DFO is playing politics instead of managing our resources, time they step aside and bring in an elective entity not answerable to any political party before we end up like the east coast or worse !!!!

We got ignored treated so insignificantly like we don't do any conservation. How can they expect us to buy boats or spend on tourism when there is no retention. They put more restrictions in place as a stop gap. Well that means they don't know what they're doing. If there are fish there we should be allowed to fish. I just think we need to somehow make our voice heard without being hateful. The number prove there are enough fish don't use us as a control method.
There are lots of fish, I got a bud, who's childhood bud , is the head of DFOs policing Div (He was an high ranking RCMP, who was just brought over to the DFO in early 2019 , when all this **** started ) The main issue is the DFO with cut backs and what not, can not properly monitor ALL the Areas adequately so in order to appease special groups and get their cooperation and monitor some areas effectively, it sounds like the DFO has closed and reduced opening in many other areas (29 especially ) simply to control it better and it has shitall to do with conservation plain and simple, this is my personal opinion from what I have been able to gather. Sorry to say but maybe 2021 will see Area 17 will be closed , with only Sept and area 29 reopened all year. Would be insane but so was closing 29 this year ...wouldnt surprise me though ...That's why everyone has to get involved and stop thinking that it's not my area so !! Get on your computers and phones and tablets and start sending emails and making calls , if everyone on the water makes one a month , bet we get noticed ! Stay Safe and Tight Lines

Last edited:
Sure were a lot of boats out during first week in September. Likely 250-300 boats out each of the first few days. Lets say on average most boats had between 2-3 people onboard. People were waking up at the crack of dawn to fish and i know some folks who lived inland and even as far as Kelowna area trailered their boats and buddies down to fish sandheads. Yet, when it came time to show up for the protest rally there was no where close to the same level of commitment from our fellow angler comrades. While there is no magical solution to this matter, a good start would be to put sustained and regular pressure on DFO.

Current conditions at halibut bank, welcome to winter haha:

Wind (knots)
E 27 gust 31
Pressure and tendency (kPa) 100.3 ↓
Wave height (m) 1.4
Air temperature (°C) 10
Wave period (s) 5.0

upload_2020-10-14_8-38-25.jpeg

I'm only a real man because I have heat and a couch to sleep on while I wait for my traps soak :confused:.
@hippaisland has bigger peanuts than anyone on here with that rig out in February. Huge peanuts, tiny tiny teeny shriveled twig while out though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back