2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually if was a freighter on the way in. He blasted his horn 5 times when he was about 5 minutes out which seemed a bit excessive (we even said so to each other at the time) when one blast would have done. The harbour authority had just been on 12/16 warning people too and telling us to move north.

Not much commercial traffic at all today, so people were being a bit loose with the traffic lane - myself included. The dredger came in first thing and back out later in the morning, the one freighter, one small tug towing a crane, and the hovercraft. That was about it. Definitely fewer boats fishing than previous years off the Cap for the derby. I thought everyone was quite well behaved and having a good time. Other than having to dodge a lot of shrubbery in the tide line it was pretty civil.

Ended up with just the two fish. The spring was at 90’ in front of the river mouth and the coho at 75’ closer to Navy Jack Point. Saw about a dozen boats or so hooked up and a few nice fish landed. The rain gave way to wind, but it was coming from the south so not bad at all. It later down around 11 and then the sun came out. turned into a pretty nice day!

EEF220DF-27DB-42A1-92E1-C47B7C3F9B7C.jpeg

Snuck out early from work to partake in the NV derby. 12:30-3 along west van/cap. Got them both west of the cap. Couldn’t be bothered to tack in tight as it was a **** show. Managed to enter two. Weather turned out way better than expected leaving little later, glad I didn’t take a full day off. Both on chovies deep. Heard through the grapevine there were ~30 fish entered and I believe 200 tickets sold but don’t quote me on that! Hopefully next year we can all crush some pints together at marina after.;)
3C67E532-3D92-45A4-8358-07A78C2A6D42.png A824169D-1C53-4B16-A4F1-63F8DE3BA082.png

Sounds like the FRPD 309 that’s been dredging at Centerm. Also sounds like someone couldn’t see the whole picture... no offense, but it’s pretty hard to judge all that’s going on from a small boat near the water line.

You're 100% correct and that freighter did pass by soon afterwards. I was facing the dredged when the blasts went off and assumed it was him. Its always remarkable how fast those freighters make their way across water. Anyway the blasts did the job for certain, as did harbor patrol when they hustled the fleet along back inbounds.

Your right Hippaisland, I was told 32 fish , 200 tics , looks like your gonna cash in on a couple of great prizes with them two sweeties, I tried the Sandhead but got my butt kicked before I even made it to the last red marker. Good on You and ya next year we'll rise a few and be chasing the leader board again...... can't wait !!! Tight lines

Last edited:
Any reports from Sandheads would be appreciated, thinking of taking a rookie out tomorrow as the weather looks better

Actually if was a freighter on the way in. He blasted his horn 5 times when he was about 5 minutes out which seemed a bit excessive (we even said so to each other at the time) when one blast would have done. The harbour authority had just been on 12/16 warning people too and telling us to move north.

Not much commercial traffic at all today, so people were being a bit loose with the traffic lane - myself included.

View attachment 57389
Fair enough.
5 minutes out sounds about right to warn the fleet and allow guys to clue in and turn around. In these days of TC penalties and lawyers a guy is going to sound 5 blasts because that’s what the collision regulations say. Sure one might do it, but it would be pretty hard to explain in a court of law where the rules are crystal clear. Glad to hear most everyone kept north, it can be stressful for commercial guys who can’t turn around.
Nice fishing!

5 blast is pretty much standard for any ship going on and out of sandheads when the rec flotilla is out

The best I can do is report that these afternoon flood tides have pushed Cap Coho into shallow water around Stanley Park I mean they're jumping in places that must be no more than 4 feet deep (!)

I noticed while cycling the seawall today.
Man that's really late isn't it?

The best I can do is report that these afternoon flood tides have pushed Cap Coho into shallow water around Stanley Park I mean they're jumping in places that must be no more than 4 feet deep (!)

I noticed while cycling the seawall today.

was it last year there was some good ho fishing off Stanley park in the shallows? Lots of fun buzzing around in 25’ of water.

Fished SH today from 9 to 10 them 11 to 3. Why you might ask? Well the buddy wanted to drive... and snag a commercial trap popping off both riggers.... anyhow... Started about 9, landed an 18 about 905am. Then "hilarity" ensued. Went to PNT for a r-up. Back to SH at 11, went 2 for 3 by noon. all shallow at 66ft on the rigger in 200ft of water. Fished another hour, landed a wild ho and some shakers. Called it quits as one of the guests were a special shade of green. All in all a great day in shnotty water

Fished SH today from 9 to 10 them 11 to 3. Why you might ask? Well the buddy wanted to drive... and snag a commercial trap popping off both riggers.... anyhow... Started about 9, landed an 18 about 905am. Then "hilarity" ensued. Went to PNT for a r-up. Back to SH at 11, went 2 for 3 by noon. all shallow at 66ft on the rigger in 200ft of water. Fished another hour, landed a wild ho and some shakers. Called it quits as one of the guests were a special shade of green. All in all a great day in shnotty water
Gotta love the reup days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back