Status
Not open for further replies.
Too crappy out off Sooke early for me so I retreated to the sub 100ft water off Possession to give it an hour. Lots of fish showing on the sounder, figured chum so I trolled slow. Was lucky and picked up a 7# feeder spring and released a 5# unclipped coho. Things calmed down so figured I'd head out deeper for an hour or two before heading to work.
Found coho where they were last weekend, at ~450' South of the bluffs. Bonked the first decent wild fish, then caught 6 others from the same cookie cutter of about 9lbs. After having to release a couple of bleeders :( I caught two hatchery on a double header. 50 - 80', No Bananas spoon.

Wow what a difference a day makes. 1 for 1 yesterday 10 lb hatchery coho 60 ft, today omg. 6 for 16, 70 and 90 ft, hootchies. 14 lb wild bonk, 9lb hatch bonk, 2 wilds released at boat 10-12 lbs, lost 2 about 7 ft way, many long line releases 4hr day 11:45-3:45, just off secretary. 3 double headers.

Fishing was great today head to Secretary 500-550 and 80-100 on the riggers. Seemed to get better and fish got bigger as the day went on.
Caught 25ish. Kept 7 coho and 1 spring.

Attachments

• 102540EC-5D0B-478F-8D2B-B9792F662261.jpeg
    102540EC-5D0B-478F-8D2B-B9792F662261.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 149
Nice fun day at Billings Spit today, though only one chum to show for it. Kind of crowded out there, but everyone was cooperative and kind so no big hassles. It wasn't exactly popping -- we were there for three hours and saw maybe four fish caught. And to the guy who seems to be a regular there (and caught two of the four we saw taken) for helping me out when I was having trouble hauling mine up on the rocks -- THANK YOU!

Was expecting a grind, but got slapped with 6+ doubles and steady action south of Secretary in 450-550 from 07:00-12:00. Kept 6, one north of 10 lbs.

58 & 68 on the riggers were our numbers. Beaten up pink coho killer and a pink jug head were the favourites today.

Great day!
3940DAB0-5C44-4DBD-AB9F-91FE1ADE1714.jpeg

Fished off the Head from 11-2:30. It started a bit slow and then had our first double at noon in 500'. Had a few more wilds but it was a bit slow. I decided to head into the bay towards the Bedford's and had lots of action with nobody around. The girls played all the fish but we couldn't find any hatchery. Took home 3 nice wilds. All in the top 60ft.

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_150602337.jpg
    IMG_20201003_150602337.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 185
Anybody hear how the weather is going to be today?

checked big wave day out. And the two predictions are opposite To each other

just want to figure out best time to go out?

cheers

Found some coho yesterday but it was not hot. And fish were mostly smallish. We had one to the boat that might have gone over 10 but it threw the hook before the net. Took home a couple of 6#. Hits came shallow around 50 with only shakers around 100 and deeper. Between the Head and Secretary, far out and close in, didn't seem to matter.

Was out today from 1030 to 3. Well just went to start kicker and the tiller shift cable broke. The cam made out of crappy die casted aluminum sheared off. Kid was upset so trolled on main. Wasn't ideal but had to do it.

Started at 500 ft off secretary and started picking up bites right away. Then I lost them.

Headed east towards head and started getting them again. We boxed two wilds but couldn't get a hatchery.... Good day though minus mechanical crap.

Depths 75 to 90 feet.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Last edited:
WEEKEND was on fire Had my favorite clients now friends who have come fishing with me now for 14 years in a row, Saturday was defiantly the better day with our limit and 2 nice ones at 10 and 12 being the biggest and finding the hatchery, yesterday was still good but a bit more spotty and a 13 lb wild to top off the day just couldnt find that last hatch but what a great weekend for fishing calm waters lots of fish cant ask for anything else,out in the 550 mark of water off trap / head area, usual stuff was working hootchies and the micro AP bluewolf spoon was the magic for me. poor spoon is getting trashed LOL, this will be my last report as I am taking boat out and hunting/meat business time now...

This year was a challenging one with all the crap going on moving forward hope we all survive what is coming next (2nd wave) and hoping people stay healthy and strong. I really wish the best for everyone stay strong ...
Good luck wolf

120659253_333190701080636_5679787398938210562_n.jpg

120753699_725132688038878_9205718759255136127_n.jpg

Collecting the boat tomorrow afternoon from my buddies place in metchosin. Worth launching for one more go, or just trailer 'Er home and begin the winter tinker?

Well we got out today after an 8 day enforced sojourn on the beach because of last week’s engine failure. All good now, (though wallet is much lighter!! LOL:D) and headed out a bit later because of the heavy early fog. Dropped lines at 9:30am and the day soon turned into a spectacular west coast fall day with bright sun from 11:00am onwards and flat calm conditions all day with just some big broad rollers from the west every now and then to remind us it was the ocean and not an enormous lake! When the fog lifted we were astonished to see about 50 boats stretched out from off Beachy down to Otter. Looked like a week-end fleet but I guess everyone is working from home now!! LOL;)

First hit came after 15 minutes in only 270’ of water and a 6 lb hatch went into the boat. From then on we had intermittent hits all morning, a lull between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm and a burst of craziness at the end out in 550' of water. We pulled the gear at 3:45pm with 5 hatchery fish including one of 10lb, and two unclipped fish in the boat. We must have had at least 8 long line releases, one lost at the boat, and 4 or 5 missed hits as well.

We fished dodgers all day and by far and away the pink striped UV hootchie was the best lure. We got only one on a blue/green hootch and hooked two on the Ye Olde Krippled K spoon but only got one of those to the boat. By far, most of the fish were between 85’ and 100’ , with a few down at 120’ and only one at 64’.

All in all an absolutely splendid day and well worth the wait of 8 days to get out again for the tail end of the season! :):)(Photo of catch below) .coho3.jpg

Last edited:
Well we got out today after an 8 day enforced sojourn on the beach because of last week’s engine failure. All good now, (though wallet is much lighter!! LOL:D) and headed out a bit later because of the heavy early fog. Dropped lines at 9:30am and the day soon turned into a spectacular west coast fall day with bright sun from 11:00am onwards and flat calm conditions all day with just some big broad rollers from the west every now and then to remind us it was the ocean and not an enormous lake! When the fog lifted we were astonished to see about 50 boats stretched out from off Beachy down to Otter. Looked like a week-end fleet but I guess everyone is working from home now!! LOL;)

First hit came after 15 minutes in only 270’ of water and a 6 lb hatch went into the boat. From then on we had intermittent hits all morning, a lull between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm and a burst of craziness at the end. We pulled the gear at 3:45pm with 5 hatchery fish including one of 10lb, and two unclipped fish in the boat. We must have had at least 8 long line releases, one lost at the boat, and 4 or 5 missed hits as well.

We fished dodgers all day and by far and away the pink striped UV hootchie was the best lure. We got only one on a blue/green hootch and hooked two on the Ye Olde Krippled K spoon but only got one of those to the boat. By far, most of the fish were between 85’ and 100’ , with a few down at 120’ and only one at 64’.

All in all an absolutely splendid day and well worth the wait of 8 days to get out again for the tail end of the season! :):)(Photo of catch below) .View attachment 57671
I really enjoy your posts and I am glad you are back on the water did you get the Etec fixed mine needed a new power head so it got scrapped. Did you have it repaired at the dealer in Sidney? I loved my Etec but unfortunately it let me down.

Fished solo on Monday from 7am to 2pm. 10 or 12 fish to the boat and not one hatchery. Also lost 5 or 6. Most fish caught at 100ft on the DR with bait, white hootchie and skinny G working equally well. Took a buddy out today and fished from 7am to 3pm. Again, lots of fish to the boat and we managed to get 4 hatchery today. Biggest was around 9lbs. Most fish caught with 110 and 120ft on the DR, one at 83ft and nothing above that. I used a white hootchie and my buddy used mostly bait and both worked equally well. Off of the head in 500ft + with the rest of the crowd. Awesome day on the water.

I hadn't on the water in a while so it was great to have an invitation to coho fish with 2xeagle16. What a beauty day! Very calm with some fog in the morning and a gorgeous sunny afternoon. There was lots of action the whole day with big coho hitting the the lures aggressively! We kept two nice wilds and 3 hatchery and released countless others. It was a great day on the water!Resized_20201006_201155.jpg

You guys sure get a great run of coho over there, seen lots of people on IG posting, very nice!! love a good coho fight
Heading out for the second time this week they do seem to be hanging around in numbers both wild and Hatchery and other than the fog the weather is perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back