Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished this morning off Secretary. Lake calm and sunshine. It probably worked against fishing. We were using 3 oz banana weight and a trolling spoon and were getting double headers of coho. As the sun came up, adding a bit more weight, an 8 oz slider was beneficial. Lots of strikes and about 20 fish to the boat.
Wasn't too impressed by the "guide" who gave us a shower and hit us with huge wake as we were rounded the end of the spit in turn behind the crab boat. Sorry we weren't going fast enough for you.

Went out at 11:30 - 2:30 today. We pretty much had Aldridge to ourselves. Lots of action and nice conditions. Kept 3 bigger hatch coho and 1 pink. Tossed back some wild coho and a few smaller springs. The DFO plane was cruising around counting boats

Having watched the continued reports of coho over the past two weeks since our last trip, we finally got out again today. Been too rainy and windy recently for us but it was great to finally get a flat day out there in the sun and without fog! About 15 other boats had the same idea.

Fished 7:30am until 12:30pm. First two hours was pretty steady action. Lost the first three near the boat and then boated the next 3, all hatchery!! It then slowed down but over the next two hours we got sporadic hits, missed a few, released a decent unclipped and also released a couple of very little guys. Finally got our last hatchery around 11:30am All fish were smallish, but one hatchery did make 4lb. All the fish seemed to be in 150’-250’ of water. Did try way out in 450’ but nada out there. Coho Killer, old McKnight spoon and pink striped hootchie at 35-45’ all caught fish. For some reason the AP spoon was not doing it.

Finished with two passes of Possession , with herring in T.H. but no touches so headed in for beer on the sunny deck!!

I saw your post but was unsure whether you were looking to go outside the basin or just tour around the basin itself....if you are looking to fish then Otter Point is easy and you are right at the fishing grounds. Other places are Muir Creek(launch into the creek from the parking lot) or Flea Beach just west of Sheringham Point. If you do go outside the basin please look at a monthly current chart and pick days where there are mild currents and watch the weather.
Cheers!
T2

Thanks for the info, T! My kayak is pretty basic as I am just getting into kayaking so I was mostly looking to cruise around the basin for sea runs on the fly and maybe drop a crab pot. Sounds like Prestige is the place for me.

Thanks for the info, T! My kayak is pretty basic as I am just getting into kayaking so I was mostly looking to cruise around the basin for sea runs on the fly and maybe drop a crab pot. Sounds like Prestige is the place for me.

If your just launching just a Kayak I'd save my $10 launch fee and just use one of the public shore access points near Billings(Kaltasin Rd.) or Whiffen (Possession Pt Rd.) Spit.

Took my son out for the afternoon and we definitely missed the bite. We got set up by 12 ish and trolled off secretary east and west with no bites. Hit shore for some exploring at 2 then one more pass and noda. Guess we shoulda hit water earlier today. My son got to play up a nice cabezon near shore while jigging for lingcod, he enjoyed the fight

Fished Otter this morning and released 3 teen springs 2 were a double...was fun to see the blue kayak get 2 springs and get towed around with the first one. 5 or 6 guys fishing off the rocks first thing so not sure if that was because some fish are being taken from the shore casters recently. Finished off with our 6 hatch coho's by trolling back to the Island and circling around the reef a couple times. Bonus was 5 nice large and heavy dungi's in the traps. Beauty day and minimal boats up west.

Otter was particularly nice yesterday, a beauty morning, no wind or fog and almost no competition save profisher, and I did hit two springs after 7:30, one hatchery and one wild both about 80cms. 33 pulls, 1lb weight anchovy; the usual for me. No coho for the kayak. Coho seemed much slower at otter than last week.

Quick trip this am same gear same depths 8 hatch coho in about a hour seemed 45 feet was the number today... Was trolling off secretary in 300 ft when BAM oh **** spring on big long scream and huge head pumps and then pop off it came , Hate to say thank good ness as cant keep it anyways ...then they had enough as it was a bit sloppy some crab as well for them. I can honestly say ive never seen so many coho and staying here for this long , And yes take a kid out fishing lots of action to keep them occupied while they are still here great fish and tasty.
Good luck Wolf

On average a 80cm Chinook will be about 12 pounds
WRONG
last years derby I got a 19.6 lber and it was measured at 83 cm every fish is different avg will be about a 16 to 18 lbs and thats been sort of the avg off of sooke last few years dont worry about go fish and enjoy we dont need a HUGE debate about it , it is what it is nothing we can do go fish have fun relax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Otter was particularly nice yesterday, a beauty morning, no wind or fog and almost no competition save profisher, and I did hit two springs after 7:30, one hatchery and one wild both about 80cms. 33 pulls, 1lb weight anchovy; the usual for me. No coho for the kayak. Coho seemed much slower at otter than last week.
Well done on the Nantucket sleigh ride Z! When Rollie said a blue kayak I figured it had to be you.We’ll see you out there sometime soon!

No reports of keepers within the retention area off Cheanuh? Anyone been fishing this area?
Tips Caught 2 hatchery Chinook in the open area at Cheanuh on Monday (between Fraser and Lamb). One was about 7 and the other was approx. 20 lbs. There were lots of hatchery coho around as well - 60 to 70 feet on spoons.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back