Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to ask this but I've looked at the regs so many times and I feel like I dropped out of School in the 5th grade. Is Sooke (other than Cheanuh) closed until August 1st for Chinook and the same for Renfrew? I know there are openings in other areas starting July 15th. I hate to ask such stupid questions but I can see Coho hatcheries are open but get really confused with all the Chinook retention regs.

I hate to ask this but I've looked at the regs so many times and I feel like I dropped out of School in the 5th grade. Is Sooke (other than Cheanuh) closed until August 1st for Chinook and the same for Renfrew? I know there are openings in other areas starting July 15th. I hate to ask such stupid questions but I can see Coho hatcheries are open but get really confused with all the Chinook retention regs.

Hey Kaelc, not a stupid question at all! So there is no chinook retention in the sooke area till Aug1(except for cheanuh right now). As for area 20-1 20-2 and area 121, July 15th-31st, 2 chinook a day max 80cm aug 1st- dec31st 2 a day no max size.
This is how I read it, hope it helps:) also check the regs for lats and longs for exact position

Thanks, that is what I understand from the chatter out there as well. Just with the 80cm discussion on for the 15th up Island and 80cm on this thread I was getting confused. I'll love my explanation to DFO if I have too! My son just needs some coho to the boat this year. I figure reeling in a spring at the age of 3 is a little early. Really appreciate it.

No problem at all, glad to help when I can:) hopefully you and your son get into the coho... I remember playing my first salmon at a young age, hooked for life:)

Coho in the bay?
Yes. They were right beside Fraser Island towards Lamb and the marina, also between Fraser and West Bedford Island. Out yesterday and coho between Crekye Pt. and Aldridge and also Fraser to West Bedford (lots there). One wild spring at Aldridge released at side of boat (approx. 20 lbs.).

...Rob

Was out again today got a limits in no time and a tyee pink lol about 10 lbs. yes it wasnt ideal conditions sad thing I was the only boat out from sooke and jocks dock only saw 1 other boat that must have read my report as he came all the way from the east to fish near me..
They DFO has succeeded!!!!! no one is fishing here much anymore and I havent heard a report at all of the SRKW last I heard they went all the way to port hardy and were coming down the inside...someone should really tell them the fish are here for them to eat ...REALLY...

Again take the kids out and have some fun its no stop action never seen it so good ...(for coho)

Good luck wolf

For those that want to carry on another SRKW thread it has been started in the Conservation section where it belongs. The derail has been cleaned up here so we can get back to reports.

Just right out from of sooke harbour mint tulip and AP spoons really anything will work go fast 3 to 4 kts 25 to 70 feet and ill be out there all weekend

Is the slot size for Chinook applicable inside the retention zone outside Cheanah Marina? Last I saw no slot, and 1 hatchery any size above 45 cm? is that correct or does the 80cm slot apply?

Is the slot size for Chinook applicable inside the retention zone outside Cheanah Marina? Last I saw no slot, and 1 hatchery any size above 45 cm? is that correct or does the 80cm slot apply?
Hey cby, the 80cm slot size doesn't apply in the retention zone. 1 hatchery min 45 cm

Fun morning off Sooke. Coho were on the surface aggressively chasing small herring. Magic for me today was a sparse polar bear bucktail trolled fast near schools of coho. It actually out fished the spoon with 4 oz on the other rod. No riggers or flashers needed. What a blast. Several today were a little bigger in the 5-6 lb range. Lots of boats.

Was out this morning from about 6 am till noon.
Lots of boats out, parking at Cheanuh was as at a premium when I got back in.
We tried from Fraser to lamb for a bit, and we didn't get much action on anything.
So we ran out to the trap shack, and weren't there 5 min before the coho attacked.
We played at least 15 to the boat, more long line releases, had a few hatchery but most were wild.
50' on the rigger and anything moving quickly was the ticket for us.

YES more great coho action best ive seen in a very long time was great to see some boats on water ...way to go guys have fun enjoy and take the kids out , as its alot of fun....

109555205_2342620309367303_4774874525338912581_o.jpg

Great afternoon on the water. Likely landed 8 wild Chinook with one double header. Riggers at 70 and 90. Not one coho. I’m guessing from the posts here I need to be higher, 30 to 50 on the riggers to get a coho or are we saying try without flashers on surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back