Status
Not open for further replies.
I took Wolf's advice "nows the time to get the kids out for some better then avg coho fishing". Took my son and 2 of his buddies out this morning. Let them run all 3 riggers, I just steered the boat. They had such a blast, multiple double headers and even a triple for a brief moment. All was good until the least experienced kid hooked a nice Spring. I told him no pressure, just have fun and take your time...no retention anyways. He did really well, we never took the fish out of the water for a hero shot. Brought the fish beside the boat and I reached down and voila, gone. I explained why we did it that way and he was totally fine, he didn't need a pic with the fish. We videoed the fight so good enough. I estimated the fish around 17#
It was eerie for a while though as we were the only ones at Otter. I thought for a second that it was closed! Sad to think about that Sooke fishing even just 2 years ago......

AWESOME good to see you got the kids out!!!!!!!!!! these people here never been on ocean before the kid was super stoked about how good it was ... WISH fisheries would see how important fishing is to communities and for people first time on ocean how much fun they have..... really missing the mark they are.... I was there for a bit sad isnt it(otter)...had our limit of hatch coho in a hour and countless more was a great day shallower today 30 to 60 feet and AP spoons still doing the trick.....

107101880_602233674036572_7930938378461764653_n.jpg

Went out later today to catch the low slack and the flood 10am-5pm. Kept limit of 8 coho for the guests and I kept 1 for my dinner tomorrow night. Released another 6-7 wild but definetly were into more hatch than wild. On the flood the springs came on the bite and we released 5 between 15 and 23 pounds. 45-50 ft best all on bait.

It's great that your guests had fun on your boat Roy,but I can't help feeling sad for the state of our fishery when I look at the picture you posted,I guess I just miss ( The Good Old Days).

Last edited:
You are right Ray...sad to see where we are today and how our fishing has been taken away a bit by bit each year and we still allow the same bureaucrats to run the show. Status quo and driving it into the ground. They won't change course or even consider changing course....so as that definition of insanity says...expect more of the same.

Finally got my little guy out today for some coho action off Sooke Harbour. Just kept doing same circuit and frantic action for two hours. Few double headers and missed quite a few. Wanted to let him reel in as many as possible for the excitement so we probably lost a few more than perhaps if i had done reeling but it's more about him having a blast then filling our limit. We released 6 or 7 wilds and kept three hatch. Got some new Grand Slam Bucktails so he used one of the green ones all day and i used a pink hootchie both with strip of anchovy of lure IMG_0984.jpg end hook. We fished from 200 to 3IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0986.jpg 40 FOW and 40 to 50' on DR. Big smiles on his face all afternoon (1-4 pm). Hoping they stick around for a bit longer cause he's got the bug and looking forward to getting him out again.

Thats whats it all about smile on face tells it all .

It's great that your guests had fun on your boat Roy,but I can't help feeling sad for the state of our fishery when I look at the picture you posted,I guess I just miss ( The Good Old Days).
Yes Ray its is very sad and no one really cares it seems we just take it up the you know where yesterday i saw maybe a total of 15 boats out on a beautiful flat calm day, it was only 3 years ago I posted this picture!!!!! now its just a memory

79733@2x.png

Thats whats it all about smile on face tells it all .

Yes Ray its is very sad and no one really cares it seems we just take it up the you know where yesterday i saw maybe a total of 15 boats out on a beautiful flat calm day, it was only 3 years ago I posted this picture!!!!! now its just a memory

I can't even look at pictures from last year it just crazy what they have done to our south coast fishery. I think its bonkers that im going up to Port Hardy this year in August to be able to keep a salmon and leaving my area right during prime time.

Just crazy what they have done, you guys are so blessed right now to have coho in your area!

Last edited:
Question for the string.
When your fishing coho in deep water, and have the rigger down 50'-60', do you allow for more line between the ball and the flasher. I have wondered if the prop wash/noise scares fish. I know distance can effect the flasher action but thought 30-40' of line might be better than the normal 20-30'

Thanks.

When your fishing coho in deep water, and have the rigger down 50'-60', do you allow for more line between the ball and the flasher.
Not at all I pin it close like 15 to 20 feet and go fast like 3 kts back in that day we would use bucktails just past the prop wash motor doesnt seem to really scare coho much

You are right Ray...sad to see where we are today and how our fishing has been taken away a bit by bit each year and we still allow the same bureaucrats to run the show. Status quo and driving it into the ground. They won't change course or even consider changing course....so as that definition of insanity says...expect more of the same.
They are Killing us with a thousand paper cuts

You can run a third rod out the back with an x-rap and they smash it if there is lots of coho around. Its a blast, The first time I did it I could not stop laughing, The rod bends over and starts screaming like your tuna fishing.

I think there are enough Coho around right now that you could cast into schools with light fresh water gear and do ok....and they would be more fun to catch than on the heavier troll gear.

You can run a third rod out the back with an x-rap and they smash it if there is lots of coho around. Its a blast, The first time I did it I could not stop laughing, The rod bends over and starts screaming like your tuna fishing.
That does sound like it would be a blast, will try that next time out for fun.

Hi all, can anyone recommend a good place to launch a kayak in Sooke Basin?
Yes at prestige or Ive seen MANY launch at gordon beach at otter Tsquared has done it a few times maybe try and connect with him as hes a big time YAK man .

Nothing wrong with a good Coho fishery and fishing. Heck my family never started to target chinook until the mid to late 90’s all we chased was Coho and Pinks cause they were easy to catch. I made many a trip from Alberta to the island as a youngster to catch Coho. The first trip I ever made to Sooke was in 1992 I believe and it was for Coho. Drove all night to get there and meet my folks and fished 3 days for them and headed home and was fully content. I will say my dad took us out one morning targeting chinook and we did hook into a couple and well the rest is history been chasing them ever since. But still if I had the time right now I wouldn’t hesitate heading all the way there for a good Coho fish and then head over to Alberni for some Sockeye,, your darn rights I would and be damn happy to do it too.
People are spoiled is what it boils down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back