Status
Not open for further replies.
After about a week with no trips I was out this morning for 6 hours. The result was 4 wild and 9 hatchery up to 12 1/4 pounds. Included a triple with all landed (2 hatch and 1 wild) and a few long line releases. 65-80 ft all on anchovy and in the same spot I left off at over a week ago. Also 6 keeper dungies in the traps....nice sunny and most flat calm day. todayscoho.jpg

Well alright you (magnificent) bastards. Launch they say, there's still fish out there they say. To the two of you cleaning beautiful salmon at the marina: I'm sure you bought them at Thrifty's.

Skunked. #@$&ing skunked. 4-6:30 off the head in all depths and all DR lengths.

Had two hits on the white hoochie and during a bait check, my passenger noticed that there was no hook at the end of the beadchain spacer. WTF? Blargh... Not sure I gave up rigging it, or never crimped it? Or it rusted... Either way... wtf.

Sooke - you've done well this year for me. And to cap it off with a million dollar sunset too, I can't get mad. Boat's going back to the driveway for the winter projects.

I got skunked tonight off the head as well! Well I had a smaller hatchery in the first five mins then nothing. I fished anywhere from 65-120ft on dr... all I could get were shakers. The wilds disappeared fast it seems.

I saw a bunch of boats out near secretary ? How did you guys do?

The morning have been WAYYYYY better then the afternoon evening, didnt you see !!!!! even the Englishman got them!!!! if he can get them anyone can..LOL LOL
(tounge and cheek bud) this has been far the best coho action I have personally seen in many many years they are big and in huge numbers when people can say they have hit over 20 coho in a day I dont care where you are thats great fishing.... one look at FB and you can see the numbers.. with incoming rains forecasted better get out sooner then later for them to top up your winter supply cause they will be gone...

580 feet of water off the Head last night hit a double header pink squirt at 94' and white spoon at 48' both great size 1 wild 1 hatch. Circled back over that spot twice and picked up another hatch each pass. First bite at 5:15 started packing up at 5:50 I wish I had someone else in the boat that was too much fun to quit so soon perfect conditions out there last night.

Funny how there are so many contradictory reports as for bait and depth. These coho are where you find them and it seems they can be anywhere. If you luck through a school I think you'll get them on pretty much anything. I fish shallower because I only have a manual downrigger and fish old style on the other side. It's what I have and it works!

One thing I haven’t seen too much of this fall are the big herring schools on the surface with the birds working out on them. I’ve been packing my bait jigging rod in hopes of seeing some. Maybe I’ve been out too far chasing coho.

Yes they are schooling fish best is to do sideways tacts to the current so basically head out to the usa border and look for them once you find them circle them and be aware of the current if its ebbing more likely the school will travel a bit west if you dont find them again do a big circle you wouldnt believe my etch a sketch on the GPS try and not to go with or against the current much do sideways your production will increase, watch what others are doing I personally dont use bait not needed do fine with spoons and hoochies especially with little shakers, . the AP sppons micros have been great and I troll fast like 3 to 4 kts faster the better

Yes they are schooling fish best is to do sideways tacts to the current so basically head out to the usa border and look for them once you find them circle them and be aware of the current if its ebbing more likely the school will travel a bit west if you dont find them again do a big circle you wouldnt believe my etch a sketch on the GPS try and not to go with or against the current much do sideways your production will increase, watch what others are doing I personally dont use bait not needed do fine with spoons and hoochies especially with little shakers, . the AP sppons micros have been great and I troll fast like 3 to 4 kts faster the better
Many thanks Wolf your advice is really appreciated!!! Great of you to share

Got another invite from 2XEagle16 to fish today again after out epic outing on Tuesday. We figured that we had one last opportunity to get out there before the rains come this weekend and get the coho on the move up the rivers. It was a pretty rough blustery morning. We were able to hit coho but it wasn't on fire like it had been the other day. We were still able to pick up a big wild and a hatchery. The winds calmed down a bit in the afternoon, though still bumpy but more fishable. The action picked up. We got another big wild and released quite a few others including one caught by 2xEagle16 that was bigger than the beauties that we kept. We ended up with 2 nice wilds, 2 hatchery and 2 feeder springs. We released at least a dozen coho and 3 other feeder springs. We saw 4 or 5 humpback whales during the day. As we were trolling in the late afternoon near the harbour mouth, there were lots of coho jumping. I heard that they may do this to loosen up their reproductive organs before they head up the river. We also saw harbour porpoises surfacing. We fished between Secretary and the Bluffs in 300-550ft of water. 90ft was our most productive depth and white glow hootchies were are most productive. Resized_20201008_154023.jpg

Slower today for us (compared to Fri and Sat. both with 16+ fish days). Had 7 strikes and kept 5 with lots of shakers. Overall smaller fish than last weekend - biggest around 8-9 lbs. Saw very few other boats playing/landing fish. Fishing between Beachy Head and Secretary Island in 500-600 ft, caught most fish between 80 and 100 ft, on UV white hootchies. Overall beautiful calm day. Hopefully, the rain will bring a new batch of coho in, if there are still more to come?

Work didn’t work out today, so I went fishing with my son (25)

Very late start, left Esquilmalt at 11:40, made to church 400’ at about 12:05, starting trolling at 95’ & 66’ to see if we could find them before we we got the third rod in the water.
With in 10 minutes we had a couple shakers on. As the killer whales were going by, we had a decent hit @ 99’ with no bananas spoon. Brought in a 6 lb hatchery spring.

Plenty more shakers with one more spring that was about 3 lbs that we returned to the deep.

headed back at 3:45. Over all pretty quite . Didn’t see many nets out.

fished down to 125’ and up to 42’, with no bananas spoon, herring aid spoon, white hoochy & anchovy in herring aid teaser head. Nothing on white hoochy, most fish & shakers where on the no bananas spoon.

Out yesterday to try for hali for a couple hours, no luck.
Also trolled out deep for coho, slower than last week for sure. Kept 2, had a bunch of shakers on.
Whales snuck up on us and we had to shut everything off till they passed.
Resized_IMG_20201009_154536_818.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_20201009_154450_991.jpeg
    Resized_IMG_20201009_154450_991.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 137
Caught this little guy off sooke and he was missing half his face. I think somebody forgot to pinch the barbs?

I guess they can survive a pretty rough release.

Attachments

• 6218BE26-66D3-4F09-A3AE-F5E20791DC09.jpeg
    6218BE26-66D3-4F09-A3AE-F5E20791DC09.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back