Status
Not open for further replies.
Out at first light today. Stared at 380' and headed deeper. Got our first hit at 550'. A nice size wild. We then quickly got our limit of 4 hatchery, back to back. Shorter trip than planned, but it worked out well as there was no lineup at the haul out yet, and a free cleaning table. Also nice not having to release a bunch. Hootchies trolled shallow worked for us. The largest one bit my lure halfway up when I was checking for weeds.

Also got to see a beautiful sunrise and humpbacks.

Attachments

• 20200926_154951.jpg
    20200926_154951.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 73
We fished 8-9am offshore and went 1 hatchery to 2 wild, then fished 9-1pm inshore near Bedford and went 2 hatchery to 5 wilds. Big rollers offshore today! Seems to me that this is one of the top coho years I've fished in this area of Juan de Fuca, out of last 18 years.

Epic morning!!

Lost count but well into the double digits. Managed 6 hatchery and lost another 12lb+ in the net as the handle broke apart.

We even managed to get a quad! With young kids on the boat it was a gong show but we managed to get them all to the boat. My girls haven’t stopped talking about it.

Fun fishery!

Attachments

• FD3FA389-BE26-42EF-A238-855456245FE5.jpeg
    FD3FA389-BE26-42EF-A238-855456245FE5.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 124
A better day water wise today, no wind at all for most of the day and the ground swell was 1/3 of yesterday. Out for 8 hours today starting at 7am...went through 6 trays of anchovies and was busy the entire trip. Maybe a few less on the gear than yesterday but today we found 8 clipped coho and a couple of winter Chinook. Our 3 largest that we kept were 12, 10 and 9 pounds...nice fish. Little deeper today and closer to shore off the bluffs...70-80 feet worked best. Had a triple and lost all 3...think that is a first. And for Tips Up that chicken got us another 6 crab! lavern.jpg

Fished 8:30-12:30.
Roughly 12 fish. Kept 2 hatch Coho and 3 feeder springs. 2 of those were hatchery.
Put out 2 crab traps. First had a few female and 3 - 6 1/4” males. Second trap took a bit to find. It was 150 yards from where I set it. So we know what happened there. Only had a few small crab.
Used some tuna scraps from friends trip last week. Guess I should have used chicken. Or I’m going to have to charter pro fisher to take me crabbing.

I see Victoria has been pretty quiet for Coho. So with Sooke being hot I was wondering where are the Sooke Coho headed? Are they Part of an American run that turns south once past Sooke? Just curious.

Out today from 07:30 - 12:00 was a very nice Sunday. Kept 2 nice Coho and released about 18 wild Coho (couple well over 10 lbs). Also 4 under size hatchery Chinook. The whales show was a nice treat first thing in the morning also. All on DR at 60 - 70ft. Also ran spoons all day, no bait at all. :):):)

Fished from first light till 10:30 this morning out of east sooke. Got about 12 to the boat including one double header. Only one clipped. A nice size one though. Caught most of them around 120 on the downrigger. Irish cream skinny g one one side and glow/green coho killer on the other. Lots of boats fishing the tide lines from Muir creek all the way the race rocks.

Lots out there. Nothing for the first 30min, then 3 straight doubles to wrap up my hour of fishing. Kept 2 hatchies. 500-550’, 60-80’. Purple & whites. Some nice sized wilds. Besides winter fishing, coho fishing is my favourite time of the year. Shallow & fast.

First thing one after the other on bait, and then it slowed down, or maybe I just went too far out. ;) Came back in to 400' and two crazy double headers in a row. I was alone so several rolling coho's were lost beside the boat. Found about 50/50 clipped closer in, and better sized. Guessing these are local fish fish. Late morning ticket was the "Outfitter" skinny G at 57'. The Humpbacks came through again.:).

Curious. Do most people launching at Sooke have annual passes or are they just not paying?

Hey Tips I think I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to crab because I’m leaving the traps in overnight and then checking and re-baiting them first thing in the morning.....making sure I get the crabs and not someone else. Today 5 keepers on the overnight set and then all smalls after checking 4 hours at the end of my trip. I drifted off my spot this morning when I dropped them back in, bit to shallow.

First thing one after the other on bait, and then it slowed down, or maybe I just went too far out. ;) Came back in to 400' and two crazy double headers in a row. I was alone so several rolling coho's were lost beside the boat. Found about 50/50 clipped closer in, and better sized. Guessing these are local fish fish. Late morning ticket was the "Outfitter" skinny G at 57'. The Humpbacks came through again.:).

Curious. Do most people launching at Sooke have annual passes or are they just not paying?
I usually pay for the day

Out from 7-12 this morning. We kept 2 hatchery that were our first double, released 6 and lost 4. Had a couple of nice wilds around 10 pounds.

Yes, we pay the $10 and appreciate the ramp as it’s pretty good to launch at on lower tides.

Yes, we pay the $10 and appreciate the ramp as it’s pretty good to launch at on lower tides.

Glad I'm not the only one that pays. I've seen a few parties laughing about it. Off course they are launching $80,000 rigs.

Reactions: cby
304E90A8-3EE5-49EC-90CA-543FA34863D5.jpeg
Hey Tips I think I have a bit of an advantage when it comes to crab because I’m leaving the traps in overnight and then checking and re-baiting them first thing in the morning.....making sure I get the crabs and not someone else. Today 5 keepers on the overnight set and then all smalls after checking 4 hours at the end of my trip. I drifted off my spot this morning when I dropped them back in, bit to shallow.
At least I can still catch prawns. Had to fish the other coast yesterday.
126CD69D-5F7E-4B9E-B7A9-3C2648AB8D00.jpeg

I had some prawns given to me yesterday and cooked them up tonight...wife's favorite. I heard they are shallower than normal right now.

$100 Reward!

Hey all. I know this probably isn't the place for this but I think it will get the most people reading it here.

I had 2 6 foot wooden oars fall off my dingy on Sunday near Whiffen Spit. They have full circle brass oar locks and black cuffs.

I love these oars as it's hard to find oar locks like these anymore. I'll gladly come pick them up with a $100 thank you for anyone that has them.

Oh yeah, lots of shakers and an 8 lb clipped coho lost at the boat. Now, I'm legit for posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back