Status
Not open for further replies.
Got on to some action from 1-3 today out west. Just after a burger bbq. Double header - one over one bang on (pictured). A hog screamer that torpedoed about 30 feet across top of water before spitting hook. Released about an 8. And ended with a 78cm for our daily limit. light rain came on about 330. No wind.

Attachments

• E126EE0E-1910-41EF-B6C1-1A9354D62EFE.jpeg
    E126EE0E-1910-41EF-B6C1-1A9354D62EFE.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 165
Out yesterday with a couple of the guy off the harbour. My old fishing partner that took me out at Sooke when I was between boats passed away some years back and we have a ritual of getting his widow a bigger red Chinook each year that she has made into lox. I like to get her a good size one but with the slot that turned out to be a sixteen pounder on our last trip. The boys were happy to get that out of the way and they know they get to play most of the salmon and they get most of the meat. I would rather eat a fresh cold water winter feeder spring than something out of the freezer.

Good weather and fishing conditions yesterday and lots of Chinook in JDF and other boats with nets out. Like Preetyboy we also had a screamer hog on that hit so hard it slammed off the rigger and my buddy found it a little tricky to get the rod out of the holder with it pounding that hard and pulling line. Even with his Mr2 cranked down it used the increasing ebb tide to its advantage and made some huge runs before it threw the hook way out the back on the surface.
There was a good bite mid afternoon when we had most of our hits other than a good Coho that got off beside the boat while trying to see if it had a fin. We did manage to take home an 11 pound red Chinook and a little smaller white Chinook. The 11lber had some 3 inch Herring in it and a 5 inch squid. Everything hit on the hot UV White Hootchie except the big hog which hit a Skinny G spoon.

Last edited:
At my favorite spot yesterday afternoon, one non sticker, two under 80s, one over released at the yak; that was a beauty. Fantastic fishing, best day in years. 33 pulls in the 40-60 foot range, anchovy, green on green. :D
All that out of the yak? Nice work!
Are you using a pink lady?
And how are you releasing the fish?

Release alive by extracting the hook with pliers or a gaff, depends on location of hooking; no pink ladies here. Laffs.

Was out early this morning - First time the boat has been in the water. Launched at Cheanuh. All was good. Weather was very nice. A ton of boats out....I would guess over a hundred between Church and Possession Point. I will say for this time of year i was amazed at how slow it was. We found lots of bait around the head and repeated tacks over the bait. We hooked up to a nice fish and played it to the boat. Had a really nice look at it and believe it was well over the 80cm slot. Spat the hook and we were a little depressed. Lines back in for another hour and did not get another touch. All in all, I saw four fish boated between 5:30am - 9:45am. I’m sure there were more but we certainly did not see them.

Fished Otter Point to Muir creek, 7:30- 10:30. 8:00 am Hubby got a beauty, 70 cm, 13 lber. did three runs, skimmed the surface and a jump too!! red, female. Nada after that. Nice day to be on the water..........spoons over bait, go figure!

No salmon for us to take home today. Released a small Chinook. Lost another one about 10lbs just back of the boat and think it was a Chinook. One of the ones that comes in fast with no runs and then goes a little nuts when they see the boat as I am telling my buddy to hold it off while I finish clearing the gear. My mistake as it did the twisty and was off while he was holding it. It would have been better to have just cleared the gear on one side and netted it. Then we hooked up another one and thought we had a Chinook to take home only to have to release it when it turned out to be a 10 or 11 lb Coho with a fin. Nice to see the bigger Coho are starting to come in a little early. The white UV hootchie again.

Decided to try Otter this morning. Fished from 645am- about noon at otter. Released a 50cm(approx) almost right away. Then had a nice hit and had it for about 20 seconds and it was gone, missed another and released an approx 25#. Seemed pretty slow, saw a few fish caught but not too many.
Awesome weather out there today.

Best day of the year so far. Incredible weather, sunny and flat clam. Lines in water at 5:10 am Otter. Went 6 for 8 springs. All beautiful fish. Kept 17 lber hatchery red, fat football 78cm. Very chunky. Lost 2 good ones on and pounding in rigger then gone. The other five were all over size. 3 were between 20-24lbs, 2 were over 25 lbs but under 30 lbs. My guess 25 lbs and 27 lbs. Very hard fighting fish. The 27 lber took me a while to land was not co-operating. They were smashing it today. 4 of the 6 were buried, they were hungry. For sure 10 out of 10 day on all accounts. Was insane from. 5:45am -8:30am, then died off. Tried for coho out deep nothing. Back at dock 10am.

Geez CBY, you had an awesome day out there. Maybe I got there too late. There were a lot of boats out, I guess I missed the bulk of the bite.

Reactions: cby
Best day of the year so far. Incredible weather, sunny and flat clam. Lines in water at 5:10 am Otter. Went 6 for 8 springs. All beautiful fish. Kept 17 lber hatchery red, fat football 78cm. Very chunky. Lost 2 good ones on and pounding in rigger then gone. The other five were all over size. 3 were between 20-24lbs, 2 were over 25 lbs but under 30 lbs. My guess 25 lbs and 27 lbs. Very hard fighting fish. The 27 lber took me a while to land was not co-operating. They were smashing it today. 4 of the 6 were buried, they were hungry. For sure 10 out of 10 day on all accounts. Was insane from. 5:45am -8:30am, then died off. Tried for coho out deep nothing. Back at dock 10am.
Makin the rest of us look bad! Well done indeed!

Did the morning/afternoon shift from 10:30 - 3. Started at the Head with an immediate hit, but it didn't stick around. Trolled down to trap and did several loops. The hopes were high as there was so much bait in the area and a LOT of marks, but only saw one fish netted a hundred meters or so from us.
Hopes dashed, we headed out to the coho-land and got one wild (really wanted to keep it because the slimy ******* tangled all three of our lines! But we put it back) at 25' on the rigger.
Packed up and motored back to Beechy and trolled back to the marina.

Still though. Wow. What a day!

Kept a couple of teenage springs this morning, one at Muir and one at Otter. Fished hard moving in and out and up and down...looked good with bait everywhere but never saw a real bite...just one hear one there. Big change from yesterday when we were done before 9 am with limits in the boat and letting overs go.

Yep slot is lame. Especially with amount of fish down there right now! Not any better elsewhere either. I just talk with a few of my buddies from Malcolm Island on Sunday and they had to release a tyee and few others. Good luck to you guys in Derby this weekend. Still sad we couldn't do the Consultants Derby like we used to in August. This would have been prime time. Good luck guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back