Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to report that fishing was good today. But immediately read a bunch of nonsense on the reports page. So what’s the point.

you boys should do what my old man made me do when I was a boy having a spat with another boy. A good wrestle in the grass

mods please start a thread for “crabby” fishermen where they can complain about regulations that we all know suck and nitpick at each other.

Many of us go fishing and on here to escape the whining of our kids/wives! Lol

Funny how you couldn't catch anything but teeners for years and today I couldn't find one but 3 over! Smallest was 82cm. After releasing them I got a small spring of about 5# but couldn't get myself to kill it after letting go the big boys. So, while it was fun but nothing to show for at home. All between the head and Aldridge from 11-2, pretty deep and on metal and plastic. Nothing on bait, go figure!

We were out today from 9:30 to 2:30. Only one hit all day but it turned out to be a nice 16 lber a little under slot so we were happy with that. We caught it on a single hook hootchie down 6o feet in 88feet of water. I have a freezer full of chovies but the thought of having to dig a treble out of a big Chinook we have to release has kept me to the single hook lures so far. Very nice day as we missed the early rain and the sea state was flat and better than the weather report had indicated.

Funny how you couldn't catch anything but teeners for years and today I couldn't find one but 3 over! Smallest was 82cm. After releasing them I got a small spring of about 5# but couldn't get myself to kill it after letting go the big boys. So, while it was fun but nothing to show for at home. All between the head and Aldridge from 11-2, pretty deep and on metal and plastic. Nothing on bait, go figure!
Despite not keeping anything sounds like you had a great day compared to many we observed yesterday, Chris. That area between Beechy and Aldridge is another one of those I have never figured out. Fished there three or four times but never caught a thing! We are waiting for a decent day and heading for Muir. I can catch fish there waaay better!! Won't be for a a while as BWD has big winds blowing tomorrow and Thursday!!

Yeah, I saw you passing me a couple times at the Head and I waved at you but you were too busy watching your gear! Don't you know that fish only bite when you NOT pay attention? Try eating a sandwich, taking a leak, checking out other boats, fussing with leaders and lures or wires on your boat.... you will be surprised how many bites you will get. Unfocus, Roland! :)
But you were there when it was supposed to happen. The floating weed beds are a pain but a good indicator when the fish come by - if there are any. A few did come by but not many. It was not a lot of action. I caught most of my springs at the head dodging weeds and kelps and logs. Makes for an extra challenge for the experienced fisherman.

Out from 730-230 yesterday. Was very slow out there, a few coho/undersized springs and we eventually got into a 80cm chunky 18lb spring down towards sooke harbour!

Took a loop around Becher Bay today from 10-2.
IMMEDIATELY knocked the lid of the downrigger into the drink. while I was cleaning the moisture off the counter. D'oh! Oh well, it still works.
Started out by Frazier Isl with a ton of bait showing and pouring rain (as wolf mentioned) and alot of decent marks, but nothing doing. So we ventured up past Aldridge and got one nice Hatch Coho.

The fleet was dispersing around Beechy, so we trolled past them and out to 450 ft to look for more coho - nothing doing either - and looped back towards home on the roaring flood. Finished off the day with a double header! (of floating kelp :p).

3" White GSB and Purple Onion Flasher got the only touch - 125 feet in 350ft of water.

There is 2 downrigger covers out there now:( lol. I lost mine while I jumped up for one of the few bits I had all day.
Fished church rocks from 6-1:30 yesterday, had a small one we let go and lost a nice one(8-10lbs) 20ft from the boat, That was just before slack. Went over to the head to joint the crowd and fished 2-3pm. Saw them down deep around the 110 mark on the sounder, dropped the rigger to 120 and got a few small ones but nothing worth keeping. It was a beautiful day out there, but can't stop thinking of the one that got off the line, lol. Also J pod was out yesterday morning by church.

Got out Saturday for solo effort at the mid day flood. Was kind of choppy all the way from Becher to the Trap. Didnt want to deal with that so headed to a nice little flat patch I could see in the distance at O Brian Point. Got lines in and first pass keeper spring. Bonus was 3 fish tacos (rockfish) that bit the hanging gear as I drifted in shallow playing the spring. 64' on rigger in maybe 160' water chovy in purple haze helmut and old not very shiny Madi flasher.

A2110D69-27FC-4343-8F50-199319A1BE7B.png

Aug 3rd made way to trap reef 6 am till 10
Had an OK one up to the Boat But spit the hook. Got another one shortly after right off the reef..was 80 cm on the nose and like somebody else said it was funny it felt like a lingcod. And then went Ballistic also saw seal pop up during the time he might’ve had a hold of it at one point I’m assuming. Regardless I got the first fish of my season

Last edited by a moderator:
Put in a full work day 9am-5pm out of Beecher with a rookie fishermen. We got the first hit about five minutes in, and after all the regular first time coaching. Tip u, don't horse it, reel reel reel, tip up. don't lift it's head out of the water, etc. He landed his first and only fish. It was no hog at about five pounds, but he was stoked! we had several more hits that he and his father in law couldn't stick or get to the boat till about noon, then it went really quiet. Fished from the Trap to Church and tried all my tricks, but we couldn't even scratch up a shaker. Beauty day out there though, we do live in a beautiful place.

We were out today from 9:30 to 2:30. Only one hit all day but it turned out to be a nice 16 lber a little under slot so we were happy with that. We caught it on a single hook hootchie down 6o feet in 88feet of water. I have a freezer full of chovies but the thought of having to dig a treble out of a big Chinook we have to release has kept me to the single hook lures so far. Very nice day as we missed the early rain and the sea state was flat and better than the weather report had indicated.

Use 2 single 4/0 hooks for your chovies. I never use trebles when I run chovies works great. Easy to shake fish and dont get caught up in the net as easy

Anyone know someone (guide) that's willing to take my brother out this week? He's spending a few days in Sooke and said he'd like to do Wednesday or Thursday. He's solo. I posted another thread on this if you want to answer there. Thanks!

Yesterday was SLOWWW. (4th) today what a difference had our 3 in not time and let 2 over size swim, called it early, guys were happy as they never been salmon fishing before and the wind was not nice .....hopefully with the am floods kicking in this weekend bring more fish in ....

Good luck Wolf

Out twice today and got into 6 springs this morning early, kept our 3 limit and then hit 7 more in the afternoon keeping out 2 limit. Ended with a double and released a couple of nice ones that would have been 23-24 pounds and the other 20-21. Windy all day and lots of bull kelp and smaller weeds this afternoon on the flood. Made for frustrating fishing in the wind and big flood current. Even when the Com Nav keeps the boat going in a straight line while you rig up...the weed wouldn't stop and I would no sooner get a rod down and it would hit some kelp and have to come up again. The pilot got a workout today.

Well after waiting for two days while the “November gales in August” blew through, we headed for Muir today. And what an absolutely extraordinary day it proved to be!! We dropped the gear about 6:45am and not much happened for the first two hours, except we released one undersized chinook that may have made 45 cm but we did not check. Then at 8:45am we had a huge hit in an area of Muir we do not usually get bites. Two or three good runs later we boated a fat beauty of 78cm, 17lb. :)

Down went the gear again and at 9:15am in the same place the same rod went off again. I struck and the fish began to fight and at that moment someone else in a boat passing in the opposite direction on that side, yelled “Hey double header!! and pointed at us. I half turned in time to see my wife dive on the other rod and now chaos ensued. While the guys in the passing boat were now hooting and a hollerin’, the fish on the rod my wife held then went on a powerful run and crossed our lines. We managed to sort that out and after a couple of minutes my fish was getting closer to the boat and my wife’s was slowing down. So she put the rod in the holder on the now opposite side and we proceed to eventually boat my fish. He measured at 85cm so damn! back he went and away he swam. The other rod in the holder was now completely slack and we thought he must have gone for sure. Incredibly, as I tightened up, I felt a bouncing jag and unbelievably he was still on! We then proceed to fight this guy in and managed to boat him as well. Unfortunately he was measured at 84cm, so back he went too, swimming powerfully down. How ironic that the biggest double header we have ever had, was in the year when the 80cm maximum was introduced!! :D (Based on the weight of the one we kept they must have both been close to 20lb each.)

Another 30 minutes later, another hit on that lucky rod that brought the second of the double header in and this guy went on two runs but he began to head shake hard near the boat and the hooked popped. He looked close to the 80cm but we will never know if he was above or inside the slot! :(

No more hits for a couple of hours, except for another undersize one, then close to lunch time in the same productive area we had been so fortunate to find, we had a bouncing hit on the “hot" rod again and this time we boated a nice bar-b-cue size 9lb keeper. So time to head home.

So 7 fish, two under-sized, two over the 80cm limit (double header!), two in the slot and one lost. Truly a day to remember. :):)All fish came to small herring in t.h. fished at 60’ in water 80-100’ deep.;)

Photo below and the 17lb fish turned out to be a white.

IMG_20200807_125426.jpg

Last edited:
Well after waiting for two days while the “November gales in August” blew through, we headed for Muir today. And what an absolutely extraordinary day it proved to be!! We dropped the gear about 6:45am and not much happened for the first two hours, except we released one undersized chinook that may have made 45 cm but we did not check. Then at 8:45am we had a huge hit in an area of Muir we do not usually get bites. Two or three good runs later we boated a fat beauty of 78cm, 17lb. :)

Down went the gear again and at 9:15am in the same place the same rod went off again. I struck and the fish began to fight and at that moment someone else in a boat passing in the opposite direction on that side, yelled “Hey double header!! and pointed at us. I half turned in time to see my wife dive on the other rod and now chaos ensued. While the guys in the passing boat were now hooting and a hollerin’, the fish on the rod my wife held then went on a powerful run and crossed our lines. We managed to sort that out and after a couple of minutes my fish was getting closer to the boat and my wife’s was slowing down. So she put the rod in the holder on the now opposite side and we proceed to eventually boat my fish. He measured at 85cm so damn! back he went and away he swam. The other rod in the holder was now completely slack and we thought he must have gone for sure. Incredibly, as I tightened up, I felt a bouncing jag and unbelievably he was still on! We then proceed to fight this guy in and managed to boat him as well. Unfortunately he was measured at 84cm, so back he went too, swimming powerfully down. How ironic that the biggest double header we have ever had, was in the year when the 80cm maximum was introduced!! :D (Based on the weight of the one we kept they must have both been close to 20lb each.)

Another 30 minutes later, another hit on that lucky rod that brought the second of the double header in and this guy went on two runs but he began to head shake hard near the boat and the hooked popped. He looked close to the 80cm but we will never know if he was above or inside the slot! :(

No more hits for a couple of hours, except for another undersize one, then close to lunch time in the same productive area we had been so fortunate to find, we had a bouncing hit on the “hot" rod again and this time we boated a nice bar-b-cue size 9lb keeper. So time to head home.

So 7 fish, two under-sized, two over the 80cm limit (double header!), two in the slot and one lost. Truly a day to remember. :):)All fish came to small herring in t.h. fished at 60’ in water 80-100’ deep.;)

Photo below and the 17lb fish turned out to be a white.

View attachment 55583
Well done !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back