Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished from 8:45-1:30 trilled west from Beechey head to secretary is. Got into 7 coho only one hatchery and it was only28cm!! :(

So many boats out today
. Saw lots caught but we only kept one hatchery coho and a pink. Seems most of the coho were wild today and not as many. Dud let go two teenager springs, one off beachy head and other off trap shack reef. Seems most bites were in close, venturing out away from the fleet did nothing.

Out from 7:30am to noon, tons of boats out there, spotty action but action nonetheless. Four wild ho’s to the boat, one good size, all free to live another day. Time to head north :D

Fished mid morning to mid afternoon from Secretary to the Head with a lot of other boats out today. We hit a lot of small fish out there and from what I saw that was the case for others. Kept one 4 pound hatchery coho and that was probably the biggest fish we got.

Fished 8:30-12 near Aldridge. We were lucky and had 4/5 coho hatchery and about 5lbs. Caught a bigger pink close to Fraser on the way in.

Fished the open area in front of cheanuh yesterday morning from 5:30-7:00ish. No bites and did not see any fish caught. There was some bait holding in there so maybe on a better flood tide.
Moved from there to the head and hit double header springs right away. Lost 1 released 1. Released 4 more by 9 am. All 12-22lb range. Strong fighting fish thought every one was bigger based on fight. All released beside boat and swam away in good shape. Moved out a bit for coho and found them right away. Kept 2 hatchery then headed in at 10:30.
Beautiful day on the water. Tons of fish around. Lots of boats out yesterday.

Fished from 7:00am till 12:45pm today in in bright hot sunshine and flat calm till 10:30am

Very slow though with only 7 hits in the 5 hours plus fishing, Got 5 to the boat but only one was a hatchery which ironically was the first fish which came after only 15 minutes.

All hits except one came to the same Mcknight spoon and the odd one out came to a little herring in t.h. All around 45’ to 50’ in 150' to 350' of water.

Quite a few boats out, especially off Beechy. Spoke to one guy I knew and he had two.

Will save gas and bide our time now till they hopefully open for chinook on 1st .

Last edited:
Fished from 6:30 to 1pm today. First 3 fish to the boat were coho hatch. Caught those before 8:30 am and not another hatchery after that. We had 8-10 wilds to the boat and also 5-6 very small Chinook. All on coho killer spoons with the green and white working the best. Most in 350 to 400ft with 50 -60ft on DR.

Turned in a pair of Serengeti sun glasses and case to the store as I was leaving. Found them near the fish cleaning station.

Tons of coho action on the backside of secretary this morning until around 11am when it started to really blow hard. Then hit a really nice spring near Lamb on our way home to Cheanuh. Spoon only saw one hit, starboard side chovy got all the action.

This thread has really slowed down, are there still any coho around? I'm thinking of heading down there tomorrow, or should I make the run to Nanaimo in hopes of a spring?

This thread has really slowed down, are there still any coho around? I'm thinking of heading down there tomorrow, or should I make the run to Nanaimo in hopes of a spring?
Thats up to you ...Havent been out for a while due to some hig winds last 3 days was out today hard time finding coho but got 5 pinks and a hatch coho let go 3 wild coho and a few smaller springs
So that call is up to you where to fish...
Good luck Wolf

Yes Coho were harder to find...we only kept 1 and released 1 lost 2 more. Good thing we fished springs for 5 hours first thing as we landed 8 up to just under 25 pounds, lost 2 and released a dozen undersize springs as well. Nice flat water today.

Off Secretary first two coho came on pretty fast to a Bucktail, no weight, but then things got slower. I even resorted to trying my down rigger but decided to put that away. Ended up landing 10 fish including a 8-10 lbs spring, using bucktails or spoons and no more than 3 oz. of weight. Lost a bunch as well. Fog kept things cool.

Tried the trap first thing, nada! We were trying to get a few springs first thing, and if the coho hit, then that was a bonus, but didn’t bend the rods at all, tried bait & spoons from 30 to 80’. After several hours we headed over to the Head with that same results. Lots of boats in the area, but didn’t see many flashers. Finally brought 1 wild coho to the boat at aboun1:30.

I have had good success for smaller coho in the 3-4 lb range off beachy head the last 2 weeks have not been out for a few days but plan on heading out tomorrow. Lots of good springs around too.

Tough fishing yesterday. It was a lot of work. 8.5 hrs, Never had one coho all day. I did manage to get a couple bigger Springs. Both over 20lbs for sure and one was closer to 24-25lbs. Both caught in the Hallway between Trap and Beechy. Super Foggy yesterday. Had one other spring 6 lbs and that was it.

Trap shack to the head today, and out to 550 feet for good measure. Had the kids out looking for small fish but somebody turned off the tap today. Only 1 small spring and no other bites, yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back