2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a bit since I've been out. Wind has been blowing every day I've had spare time lately. Finally a calm morning I could get out this morning. I fished the early tide change. Tried for lings for a bit, unsuccessfully. Dropped the salmon gear and within 2 minutes before I could get the second rod down my first rod was pounding away. It was a beautiful 20ish pound spring and the most amazing hot fighting fish I may have ever caught. I've caught many much larger fish, but this was a fight for the ages. Multiple runs away from the boat, towards the boat jumps and dives. Lots of fun. Released in the water, and of course hatchery marked...fml...

Caught well off Fairfax in 250' of water 90' on the rigger, large coyote spoon.

Hopefully DFO can get their **** together and get some reasonable new regs out.

Last edited:
It's been a bit since I've been out. Wind has been blowing every day I've had spare time lately. Finally a calm morning I could get out this morning. I fished the early tide change. Tried for lings for a bit, unsuccessfully. Dropped the salmon gear and within 2 minutes before I could get the second rod down my first rod was pounding away. It was a beautiful 20ish pound spring and the most amazing hot fighting fish I may have ever caught. I've caught many much larger fish, but this was a fight for the ages. Multiple runs away from the boat, towards the boat jumps and dives. Lots of fun. Released in the water, and of course hatchery marked...fml...

Better protect those Hatchery fish!! Those Orcas are starving!!!

Caught well off Fairfax in 250' of water 90' on the rigger, large coyote spoon.

Now there’s a great report! Congratulations for the memory.

Fished yesterday evening out at Fairfax Point and saw lots of fish on the sounder and occasionally porpoising. However we didn’t catch any of them. we ran the downriggers through schools of marks throughout the water column with spoons and bait. Not totally sure what we were doing wrong but at least it was pretty out.
Met another boat on the way in who hooked 5 fish on the east side of Sidney Island. Bait.

Fished yesterday evening out at Fairfax Point and saw lots of fish on the sounder and occasionally porpoising. However we didn’t catch any of them. we ran the downriggers through schools of marks throughout the water column with spoons and bait. Not totally sure what we were doing wrong but at least it was pretty out.
Met another boat on the way in who hooked 5 fish on the east side of Sidney Island. Bait.
I was out last weekend and saw the same, pretty sure there sockeye

Got a question. Weather is picking up so our original plan of Constance Bank was foiled. Any hali coming in on the south side of Sidney Island lately? or any where in the vicinity? Any coho this time of year in the Sidney area? If so, any leads on hali or hos would be greatly appreciated. DM's are fine if you don't want to give it up on this page. Tight lines!

Quick couple laps at Coal this afternoon before the wind got up. Just had to get out and prove to myself I could still hook a fish

Fished the pinnacles on the southeast side of coal island, near the RRZ. Got absolutely pounded by the surf and wind. No salmon but we did get a dogfish. So The day did not end in a total skunking.
There were big numbers of fish in the top 60’ of water all over with deeper marks further away from the small islands. We tried for Chinook, coho and then sockeye.
The highest density of marks were within spitting distance of the small islands, and I saw either really large bait or small salmon (Approx 12” long) leaping on the edge of the kelp.
At the end of the outing we were trying to trailer the boat (one boat was already swamped near the ramp) when the RCMP Blackfish nearly swamped my father as it cut in front of him. It was surprisingly poor launch manners from the RCMP.

Got into 3 small chinooks on the east side of coal trying to hide from the wind yesterday! All around 5lbs on a coho killer at 70’ on the rigger 100’ of water, tons of bait or small chinooks kickin around!

Attachments

• C6B96C24-77CA-484E-A326-F86A75D241F2.jpeg
    C6B96C24-77CA-484E-A326-F86A75D241F2.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 83
I can see Coal Island from home and it looked rough af out there yesterday. Youre a madman sir!

Finally got my new ride out to get some lines wet in the rain today. Went looking for some cod on the North side of Morsby and needed up hooking up to a 10lb spring, after a couple hours of jigging, decided to throw the downriggers down and had three pin poopers within the hour between Fairfax Point heading North on the East side all three were between 8-10 lbs springs. 85’ I had an Irish cream spoon, and down at 120’ my go to Lucky lager spoon. Despite the rain the waters around Sidney were nice and calm this afternoon.

Tons of bait at Fairfax and Coal this morning. Looked to be some large herring boiling on the surface as well. Released some unders and a decent football, all between 60-120' on the cheapo Gibbs spoons. (waiting for my AP order to be ready)

First fish in the new boat. Just looking to dial everything in and get used to the new platform. Took a run down James Island past Powder Wharf this morning. Ran around Sidney Island to Hamley and C&R'd an 8 -10 pound hatchery Spring. First time running the high speed Scotty riggers. Loved em. 20200704_111604.jpgResized_20200704_120922.jpg

Beauty day only spoiled by the commercial prawner who either stole or more likely dropped his string exactly on top of my prawn set off of Moresby. His set was exactly where my GPS mark was (as in within 15 feet). I had lots of weight on my set so no way that it drifted. Aggravating to say the least.

Thanks for the pic of the new boat underway from @advTHXance

First fish in the new boat. Just looking to dial everything in and get used to the new platform. Took a run down James Island past Powder Wharf this morning. Ran around Sidney Island to Hamley and C&R'd an 8 -10 pound hatchery Spring. First time running the high speed Scotty riggers. Loved em. View attachment 54494View attachment 54495

Beauty day only spoiled by the commercial prawner who either stole or more likely dropped his string exactly on top of my prawn set off of Moresby. His set was exactly where my GPS mark was (as in within 15 feet). I had lots of weight on my set so no way that it drifted. Aggravating to say the least.

That boat is the real deal.

First fish in the new boat. Just looking to dial everything in and get used to the new platform. Took a run down James Island past Powder Wharf this morning. Ran around Sidney Island to Hamley and C&R'd an 8 -10 pound hatchery Spring. First time running the high speed Scotty riggers. Loved em. View attachment 54494View attachment 54495

Awesome boat CW, great looking platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back