2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks RC , good info will try there or maybe venture to the open area of Pender
There were some Coho around that area (S Pender) in mid September. We caught a few wild and others reported the same. I believe that wilds don't open in that area until November 1st (long after they are all gone - thanks again DFO) unless I am missing something?

Yeah they enjoy screwing us and blaming SFAB. I questioned several of their policies for our area and it was always someone else’s fault or an agreed to change.

Here’s an example from the Regional Director I received On why the public prawn fishery was cut by 37.5%. The way I read it the cut was agreed to by the SFAB, which I understand is not true. It seems the SFAB is their excuse and they loosely allude to it agreeing to their proposals and direct you to take it up with them. Lame!

“The Department has consulted with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB), First Nations and the commercial industry in advance of these changes. DFO recognizes the efforts of these groups to support conservation measures and ensure sustainable fisheries. DFO receives input

from recreational stakeholders through the SFAB and its local advisory committees; we encourage you to participate in this process. For more information, please visit the Department’s Sport Fishing Advisory Board webpage.“

Went out to fish the Pacific Lake today. Pretty incredible out there! Hooked one little undersize past the powder wharf.
I think we are in that transitional period where the feeders aren’t really here and the biggies are off getting netted.
The double eagle is running like a top and I’ve been getting some compliments on it at the dock. It’s so nice to be able to spend an hour or two on the water to melt away some stress!

CB5C5BDC-9B90-4747-A25D-A6E3C7F21059.jpeg

Headed out with the kids to try Chum fishing for the first time today, went out to Satellite Channel and dropped the gear once I saw the schools of jumpers. Fished 2 hours during the current change but couldn’t get a bite. Marked lots on the sounder and lots of jumpers. Majority of them seemed to be closer to saltspring near Cape Keppel. Kids got bored with no action so we did a tour of Saanich Inlet. Didn’t see a single fish jump in the inlet So they must be just starting to show up. Has anyone ever had success fishing chum around here?

I
Headed out with the kids to try Chum fishing for the first time today, went out to Satellite Channel and dropped the gear once I saw the schools of jumpers. Fished 2 hours during the current change but couldn’t get a bite. Marked lots on the sounder and lots of jumpers. Majority of them seemed to be closer to saltspring near Cape Keppel. Kids got bored with no action so we did a tour of Saanich Inlet. Didn’t see a single fish jump in the inlet So they must be just starting to show up. Has anyone ever had success fishing chum around here?

I have taken the kids to Goldstream checking out the spawning fish several times in the last month. There are definitely some chum in there but maybe still some out in the salt.

Lots of those chums would probably be Cowichan fish.The river is full of them right now,and it's still early.It has gotten as many as 500,000 fish in the recent past.

You might have to bring that tub to town, it’s only a 25 min ride to Fleming. Some good days coming up over the next few weeks....

Remember when people used to fish in Sidney? Good times!
One of these days the Eagle will soar again. I have yet to wash blood off the deck
I’m lucky with getting blood on a boat. And I never get in the way with cleaning it up just how you like it!

Keeping the Sidney reports active. Took out a couple of oldtimers yesterday for Nov 11. Left the ramp at 11:30. Lots of bait at Coal but no hits. Moved over to Morsbey and into half a dozen November issue 18-22 inch hatchery springs. No keepers but a nice November day.

Nice to see the action and know they will be getting bigger soon.

Can anyone confirm that the Tsarlip boat ramp near Brentwood is available to launch a boat to go prawning? I only get recorded messages when I call the Band office. Thanks.

Can anyone confirm that the Tsarlip boat ramp near Brentwood is available to launch a boat to go prawning? I only get recorded messages when I call the Band office. Thanks.
My understanding is that it’s closed to the public.

Laced em up today and went out for the afternoon to fairfax.
Super calm water and the views were amazing. Got a few hits including a double header past the point but they were a bit under.
Check out these couple of epic photos courtesy of @carpeweekend who had the big raider out. Baker was glowing!
6A1760EC-9B72-418A-8C4A-0D060DAE79B1.jpeg0870D77E-99EE-454F-99EE-B3E53A67B0EE.jpeg

Laced em up today and went out for the afternoon to fairfax.
Super calm water and the views were amazing. Got a few hits including a double header past the point but they were a bit under.
Check out these couple of epic photos courtesy of @carpeweekend who had the big raider out. Baker was glowing!
View attachment 59091View attachment 59092
slide on some Lulus and man that would have been a perfect day

One of the best days fishing without keeping a legal fish. Amidst the Covid craziness and November wind/rain, it is great to be able to get out and enjoy the water. One undersized Spring (62 cm is a tall task in November) and a few keeper crabs. Keeping my bubble small with my fishing partner below.

Attachments

• IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 76
I installed the new Raymarine C120 this morning. I purchased it from Kaelc yesterday. A great guy to deal with. Had it it set up and took it out for a test drive off Sidney and works perfect,. Thank you Kaelc.
Left Tulista just after noon, ran down Sidney channel had five on, three to the boat one was just over eight lbs ,the others just under size and lost another keeper beside the boat. Home before three so the wife didn't know I went fishing to clean up and polish the boat. Got to love winter fishing, beauty day, lots of action and no crowds.

Attachments

• 20201201_141327.jpg
    20201201_141327.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20201201_141815.jpg
    20201201_141815.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 148
I installed the new Raymarine C120 this morning. I purchased it from Kaelc yesterday. A great guy to deal with. Had it it set up and took it out for a test drive off Sidney and works perfect,. Thank you Kaelc.
Left Tulista just after noon, ran down Sidney channel had five on, three to the boat one was just over eight lbs ,the others just under size and lost another keeper beside the boat. Home before three so the wife didn't know I went fishing to clean up and polish the boat. Got to love winter fishing, beauty day, lots of action and no crowds.
Damn that tail is huge. Well done! I'm looking forward to tarting up my boat and getting out in the new year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back