2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, you guys could have just asked rather than accusing me of fishing illegally in a closed area. Yes, the picture was taken and the fish were caught at Tilley Point. The only reason I didn't mention it is that it is a relatively small area to fish. Given that there was fish there, it is likely that there was also a wave of fish in the general Sidney area moving through so I thought it would still be helpful. It is troll like behaviour like this that results in no one posting reports.
That was not my intention. I have never caught much there before and didn't look at the picture that closely so I assumed it wasn't Tilly point.

Man, Sidney is brutal for salmon fishing. Do they not try to revive gold stream salmon anymore? How long ago was it the nets wiped out the saanich inlet?

Gave East side of Moresby a shot yesterday. Tons of bait but didn’t mark any fish or have any hits. Saw three other boats but no nets. Boy it was Smokey out there

Man, Sidney is brutal for salmon fishing. Do they not try to revive gold stream salmon anymore? How long ago was it the nets wiped out the saanich inlet?
Yeah, you’d think things would get be getting better in the most over regulated area of the coast. Local closures don’t seem to be the answer?

Yeah, you’d think things would get be getting better in the most over regulated area of the coast. Local closures don’t seem to be the answer?
agreed. If you dont believe it look at the slot restriction that allows you to only retain chinook between 62 and 67 cm. Tells the story how decimated the Goldstream and Cowichan runs are, nevermind the early run Fraser fish. These runs will not rebound without our intervention.
Unfortunately that takes commitment from back east.
I really wish our coastal waters were provincial jurisdiction.
Sorry, ranting.... If fishing was great in Sidney, imagine the sportie fleet that would be out here!
Trying to find the silver lining....

They still take the shrimp that used to attract the springs.
Even the prawning is heavily regulated here. In addition to coast wide limits, the Inlet for example, has pulse fishing for 3 months in the fall , followed by closure for another three months, then an opening for a month just before the Commercial boats clean it out. Essentially you get one month of prawning in the Spring and a bit in the late fall.

Thought I’d give today a shot over by Moresby this PM. Wind was up and the smoke was horrible. Not much visibility and my eyes started burning so I packed it in. No good reason to pound along in a Smokey haze.

Thought I’d give today a shot over by Moresby this PM. Wind was up and the smoke was horrible. Not much visibility and my eyes started burning so I packed it in. No good reason to pound along in a Smokey haze.

Our neck of woods up north of you is bad 2. Dont think its healthy to be out on it. Visibility along straight today is very poor.

Our neck of woods up north of you is bad 2. Dont think its healthy to be out on it. Visibility along straight today is very poor.
Agree it’s not worth the risk at this point. Heard it might improve after the weekend.

just looked at a couple of webcam feeds and I believe the smoke is even worse today!

After reading that the Sidney crowd went to Sooke I went out to the calm clear waters of Sidney today and picked up a 10lb hatchery Coho in Swanson Channel. Then went looking for a spring but nothing.
88ft on Cop Car Skinny G.

Need to mention not in the closed area.

Gave Moresby a try yesterday morning - there was nothing for us. Moved over to Tilley for the afternoon, not a sniff, bump, or bite.

Great day with good people but would have been nice to bring some scales home.

Good luck to everybody still hoping to hook something.

47DF350C-9CD6-4189-8366-5BE7339B9EF6.jpeg DC856295-6930-4DD9-A562-BC351BDDDE7F.jpeg C92C4675-E553-4942-884A-400FF22FD3AF.jpeg C0390CCB-80C0-477D-BB55-0C63550DCE7D.jpeg 5B3B3702-40DC-41DF-A75C-D0EA205914B0.jpeg 47DF350C-9CD6-4189-8366-5BE7339B9EF6.jpeg DC856295-6930-4DD9-A562-BC351BDDDE7F.jpeg C92C4675-E553-4942-884A-400FF22FD3AF.jpeg C0390CCB-80C0-477D-BB55-0C63550DCE7D.jpeg 5B3B3702-40DC-41DF-A75C-D0EA205914B0.jpeg Went out of Sidney today for some bottom fishing. Found a new spot! As soon as my lure was down I was dragging something up! I caught And kept a nice Ling 75cm. A beauty rockfish and two greenling I’d say we caught 35-40 fish between the two of us in an hour and a half to get our keepers! All rock cod were descended properly. What a blast. And I caught some incidental starfish as well.

Fished Moresby yesterday and while there was tons of bait, didn’t mark many fish. A few other boats out there fishing Coho I assume because they were in the Spring non retention area but no sign of any nets out. I got a few shakers but that was pretty much it. Still looking for a good coho area!

Fished Moresby yesterday and while there was tons of bait, didn’t mark many fish. A few other boats out there fishing Coho I assume because they were in the Spring non retention area but no sign of any nets out. I got a few shakers but that was pretty much it. Still looking for a good coho area!
My only coho success has been out from Mandarte Island, skirting the border. Also nabbed a 13lb Chinook out there too, once. Haven't been coho-ing in Sidney for a couple years though.

My only coho success has been out from Mandarte Island, skirting the border. Also nabbed a 13lb Chinook out there too, once. Haven't been coho-ing in Sidney for a couple years though.
Thanks RC , good info will try there or maybe venture to the open area of Pender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back