2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out to coal Saturday morning for high slack, no action for me. Sounder was dead for bait etc last couple days, anyone having luck?
Fished coal for the afternoon slack, tons of bait there and birds were pushing balls of needlefish to the surface. No fish for me and didn’t see any other boats land anything.

Was too windy for me at coal yesterday so I went to saanich inlet around wain rock and south coast of salt spring. Got a bunch of shakers until I got sick of the wind.

Decided to give a go at the elusive Haro straight halibut for the mid day slack. Got this one a little south of Sidney channel before I could get the 2nd rod in the holder. Back trolling with the kicker. Hopefully they are moving in now!

Attachments

• 447BF3E9-8A4F-4A4F-9D61-A54245ACB135.jpeg
    447BF3E9-8A4F-4A4F-9D61-A54245ACB135.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 233
Decided to give a go at the elusive Haro straight halibut for the mid day slack. Got this one a little south of Sidney channel before I could get the 2nd rod in the holder. Back trolling with the kicker. Hopefully they are moving in now!
Whatd you get it on? I just got a hali set up. Havent had the pleasure of catching one yet...

Drifted around a lot of area south of Sydney island this morning/early afternoon. Couldn’t even feed a dogfish.

Just a heads up, the Sidney Anglers received notice from the town that beginning May 1st, the Tulista boat ramp will be closed until further notice.

Just a heads up, the Sidney Anglers received notice from the town that beginning May 1st, the Tulista boat ramp will be closed until further notice.
So on the same day that bottomfish open, only people that keep boats in the water are allowed to catch them.

I don’t post much. However, I will on this one. They are closing the ramp because there is a segment of the population that for some reason believe they are entitled to not social distance. I just finished spending quite a bit of April prawning in Saanich Inlet and saw very few people social distancing. Most boats were 2 or 3 buddies out pulling traps - and I highly suspect they don’t share a household. Obviously, I was not the only one to observe such behaviour - hence the closing of the ramp. If we are unable or unwilling to follow such a simple directive as to social distance more restrictions like these will follow. I was very fortunate that my wife was able to go with me most times otherwise I headed out solo. My wife is not my regular fishing partner and fishing solo is not my favourite way to fish but the only other option was to stay home. Until social distancing directives are relaxed, those of us who choose to fish with members from outside our household will ruin it for the rest of us - plain and simple. It’s pretty hard to hide on the water.

I don’t post much. However, I will on this one. They are closing the ramp because there is a segment of the population that for some reason believe they are entitled to not social distance. I just finished spending quite a bit of April prawning in Saanich Inlet and saw very few people social distancing. Most boats were 2 or 3 buddies out pulling traps - and I highly suspect they don’t share a household. Obviously, I was not the only one to observe such behaviour - hence the closing of the ramp. If we are unable or unwilling to follow such a simple directive as to social distance more restrictions like these will follow. I was very fortunate that my wife was able to go with me most times otherwise I headed out solo. My wife is not my regular fishing partner and fishing solo is not my favourite way to fish but the only other option was to stay home. Until social distancing directives are relaxed, those of us who choose to fish with members from outside our household will ruin it for the rest of us - plain and simple. It’s pretty hard to hide on the water.
Hit the nail on the head there. Ticket or no ticket we all saw them out there watching us.

There is a thread on boat launch closings in the Saltwater Forum. Perhaps this conversation would reach more members there and keep this one for fishing reports...whenever that may occur again.

Back to Sidney reports. I noticed on my 3 forays into the Inlet that the same traps seemed to be out there every morning when I arrived and if tended at all were emptied and relaunched. We’re not talking overnight soaks we’re talking over month soaks. I think it’s time to have a hard look at whether or not overnight soaks should be permitted. Given we have a reduced daily limit, is it necessary to leave traps out there for extended periods. Are they simply being emptied once a day

Arriving at first light, it’s amazing how many of the same floats are already out there. Admittedly I only went into the Inlet 3 times in the last couple of weeks so it could be a coincidence, but if it is it also happened last year, the year before and the year before that. Pretty much from rec opening until the Commercial opening the same traps are out in the same location. As I said some are there when I arrive at dawn and still there when I leave and no one has checked them. Seems a little strange to me, unless they are being checked every evening and relaunched? I should add it doesn’t take long ( hour or two) in my experience to have octopus or rock crab feeding in the traps, so how much catch is being wasted.

Anyway I was never in the past too concerned about overnight fishing and if it’s done correctly for instance a launch in the evening and pick up the next morning I still would have no problem. However it seems to be a loophole that’s being exploited to leave traps out there all month and sad to say, it pretty much has to be us locals doing it. No overnight soaks Might be worthy of consideration by the SFAB if there’s a further round of cuts.

Back to Sidney reports. I noticed on my 3 forays into the Inlet that the same traps seemed to be out there every morning when I arrived and if tended at all were emptied and relaunched. We’re not talking overnight soaks we’re talking over month soaks. I think it’s time to have a hard look at whether or not overnight soaks should be permitted. Given we have a reduced daily limit, is it necessary to leave traps out there for extended periods. Are they simply being emptied once a day

Arriving at first light, it’s amazing how many of the same floats are already out there. Admittedly I only went into the Inlet 3 times in the last couple of weeks so it could be a coincidence, but if it is it also happened last year, the year before and the year before that. Pretty much from rec opening until the Commercial opening the same traps are out in the same location. As I said some are there when I arrive at dawn and still there when I leave and no one has checked them. Seems a little strange to me, unless they are being checked every evening and relaunched? I should add it doesn’t take long ( hour or two) in my experience to have octopus or rock crab feeding in the traps, so how much catch is being wasted.

Anyway I was never in the past too concerned about overnight fishing and if it’s done correctly for instance a launch in the evening and pick up the next morning I still would have no problem. However it seems to be a loophole that’s being exploited to leave traps out there all month and sad to say, it pretty much has to be us locals doing it. No overnight soaks Might be worthy of consideration by the SFAB if there’s a further round of cuts.
Did you catch anything?

I have been leaving my traps in the water overnight for 30 years. It’s based on juggling work and family, I really don’t see any real advantage to it, in fact My traps get poached every season, and yes I do feed brother octopus a few easy dinners. Big picture thinking required here, restricting restrictive regulations
is more than a slippery slope. Remember folks we are in this fishing thing together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back