2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am going to try fishing in the Sidney area so I have a 80cm stick marked at 62cm
I would like to fish while the crab traps soak any recommendations? Windy and BWD says Sidney is the only calm place tomorrow and I am definitely in fishing withdrawal

Hi I am going to try fishing in the Sidney area so I have a 80cm stick marked at 62cm
I would like to fish while the crab traps soak any recommendations? Windy and BWD says Sidney is the only calm place tomorrow and I am definitely in fishing withdrawal
For me, Sidney Spit is a solid go-to. Drop the traps close to shore and you can watch them.
My most productive as been from the mooring boats past the spit and out past the lumps that are out that way.

I met up with @carpeweekend for an adventure on his new hunk of tin this morning:
View attachment 55404 View attachment 55405 View attachment 55406

We got to coal early and the current was RIPPING at like 5knts so we packed up and took off. Well... almost packed up. With my thick coating of rust I forgot to put the cannonball in the boat and it ended up spooling the rigger. He’s now officially been Stizzla’d!
No damage To the boat (thank the sweet lord!), and he had a spare spool so we went to fairfax and we were back in business.
Got a nice bite that didn’t stick and a few more mixed in with some rockfish before we hit a nice one. Battled me hard and I thought it was going to be over the slot, but it was just a feisty 11#er. Green coho killer mid column past the point.
Had some laughs, good music and packed up. (Including cannonballs).
Crab spot was loaded with nice ones. My little girl gets to eat her favourite food again.

View attachment 55407 View attachment 55408
Thanks again Greg!
Did I get Stizzlaed? I am still waiting for a chance to fish with you but I did get to fish Sidney yesterday boy what a great ramp and nice courteous people using it! Trolling towards James we see a big float sucked under by the current soon after lost a cannon ball flasher ap spoon and a bunch of braid the good news is on the way back to the spit we did the same thing but we were able to get the gear back. I made a Sidney measurement stick and I am glad we didn’t have to use it I am sure by the time I determined if the fish was between 62 and 80 it would be dead DFO? Three nice dunnys from the spit

Just got back into town and did a quick lap before the slack. Released 1 small jack, marked a few (looked like more jacks) midwater.

Gave mandarte James and coal a shot today 1 hit at mandarte and saw 1 being played at coal so a pretty slow day but no complaints didn't lose any down rigger balls but I did drop my 35 year long service ring into the drink while cleaning some crap off my line not sure if that qualifys as getting stizzled

Gave mandarte James and coal a shot today 1 hit at mandarte and saw 1 being played at coal so a pretty slow day but no complaints didn't lose any down rigger balls but I did drop my 35 year long service ring into the drink while cleaning some crap off my line not sure if that qualifys as getting stizzled

100% stizzled

Fished Coal this morning from about 7 - 10:30 through the tide change. Not much happening. Released a small jack Spring and one other hit that didn't stick. About 5 -7 other boats in the area. Didn't see any nets out and talked to a few other boats with similar results. A decent amount of bait and some fish showing on the sounder.

Seems a lot of people haven’t checked the regs. Lots of boats fishing Fairfax and coal in the non retention areas and keeping fish.
Thanks, I need to download the map. I can’t find it on the app. I think we put lines down on the way back from Portland in the closed area but caught our fish south of it, where a guy was jigging and giving us the stink eye for coming close to him. Tough to see from this screenshot where it ends.

What is the protocol for trolling around guys who are jigging? My buddies always troll super close to other boats when we are both trolling. If someone is running and shutting down on the structure, that everyone is fishing, and he is going there few minutes I don’t think you own that spot but I could be wrong! I let him have it, as we had already caught dinner and we were on our way in.

Last edited:
Thanks, I need to download the map. I can’t find it on the app. I think we put lines down on the way back from Portland in the closed area but caught our fish south of it, where a guy was jigging and giving us the stink eye for coming close to him. Tough to see from this screenshot where it ends.

What is the protocol for trolling around guys who are jigging? My buddies always troll super close to other boats when we are both trolling. If someone is running and shutting down on the structure, that everyone is fishing, and he is going there few minutes I don’t think you own that spot but I could be wrong! I let him have it, as we had already caught dinner and we were on our way in.
My experience while jogging is that another boats wake sure rocks the boat a lot more than when two boats are trolling slowly in opposite directions. I slow down and give a wide berth around jiggers or boats on the hook

Picked a nice ling off halibut last night. Then trolled hamley hooked a coupe undersize ended the night at powder shack not much showing on the sounder there hooked a dogfish and called it. Windy and rough when at hamley

That’s the Stizzla starter kit!
We need to have another beer, maybe at my place next time ,and I’ll tell you my top 5 Stizzla moments on the water. You won’t believe them

Anyone having any luck finding Coho? With the Bluffs closed again I’m looking for a place to target them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back